Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Diff between a $20 and $100 1500W space heater

I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

What's the difference between a Yugo and a Porsche ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

1500 watts is 1500 watts. I also looked into those things Paul Harvey was
pushing and from the ads it seemed they had changed physics and kept the
heat around you and it wouldn't rise as would normally happen! Those were
very expensive and also 1500 watts. You only get 1500 watts out no matter
how deliver it through light bulbs or heated wires.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 04:39:03 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

It shouldn't be just the electrical energy the heater consumes. It
should be how well it warms the full room.

IIRC, there isn't, but there should be, a standard specification on the
BTU transferred to the room; a heat exchange efficiency rating if you
will.

Example: I have one of those oil filled heaters that looks like an old
time radiator. It just sits there, and the air right near the heater is
very warm. 3 feet away, it is slightly warm, but at 6 feet away little
usefulness. Do a Google on your Vornado, and read the hype at their web
site; it doesn't appear the Vornado just sits there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

Look more closely at the features. Items such as programmable timers
remote controls and such add to the price.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...s&N=4294942604

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Supposedly the ceramic heaters put out more heat than glowing filament wire
heaters. I havn't researched this.

For the $80 price difference, you can buy a $10 fan, and a lot of
electricity.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

I beleive the 1500W refers to how much juice they use. As others have
pointed out there are various ways to use that juice and / or distribute
the heat. Suggest you google something like Differences in electric
heaters. I just did and got a lot of hits:-))

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phil Again wrote:
[...]

I like the oil filled radiator style because they are silent. We have
ceiling fans in every room so they work well.

If the Vornado is very very quiet then It may be good to look into?
Otherwise it's just a fancy version of a $14.88 fan heater from WalMart.

For any heater type remember that if you just heat the air the room will
not be comfortable for very long. You must heat everything in the room
as well. furniture, walls etc.
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 6:39*am, Mikepier wrote:
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

1500 w is 1500 w, some are made better and they heat differently but
all 1500w heaters put out 1500watts of heat. Radiant quarts heaters
dont heat the air they heat objects, which can be good and save if you
are sitting watching tv all night and have the heater facing you from
maybe 8 ft away. A convection oil filled heater mainly heats the rooms
air, tungsten element heaters with a reflector put out a combination
of radiant and convection heat. Try a 20$ unit with a decent warranty,
you may need it. Ceramic disk are just nice and small
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

What's the difference between a Yugo and a Porsche ?

Not 1500 watts. The Porsche can out perform a Yugo in speed and handling ,
but a 1500 watt heater is going to heat the same as any other 1500 watt
heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 1:14*pm, ransley wrote:
On Sep 27, 6:39*am, Mikepier wrote:

I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

1500 w is 1500 w, some are made better and they heat differently but
all 1500w heaters put out 1500watts of heat. Radiant quarts heaters
dont heat the air they heat objects, which can be good and save if you
are sitting watching tv all night and have the heater facing you from
maybe 8 ft away. A convection oil filled heater mainly heats the rooms
air, tungsten element heaters with a reflector put out a combination
of radiant and convection heat. Try a 20$ unit with a decent warranty,
you may need it. Ceramic disk are just nice and small

Jeez: What's happened to our high school physics?
1500 watts is 1500 watts (Or rougly 5000 BTUs of heat).
What you or I do with it; warm room air without a fan, warm room air
and blow it around with a fan, heat a saucepan, boil a kettle, switch
on 15 100 watt light bulbs, etc. is our business.
Do that continuously for one straight hour, here at our domestic
electricity rates (your mileage may be different!) will cost us about
15 cents.
On the other hand you could sit under a 1500 watt sun-lamp for a solid
hour and burn off some of your epidermis for the same price! Sometimes
called 'tanning'.
Hence the old fashioned expression "Come here again and I'll tan your
hide!". But I digress.
If you use the 1500 watts in a Heat Pump (capital cost involved!) you
may be able to pump 'several times' that amount of heat either into,
or out of (An air cooling processcalled Air Conditioning) your
dwelling! All depending on ambient conditions and equipment
efficiencies at various temperatures.
But 1500 watts is 1500 watts whichever way you use it.
BTW a tropical fish aquarium may have a 15 watt heater. That's 100th
of a 1500 watter. The aquarium warms up and then loses heat to the
surriounding room air. So could install 100 tropical fish tanks each
with a 15 watt heater and get the same amount of heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Look more closely at the features. Items such as programmable timers
remote controls and such add to the price.

Indeed!

It's best to see what features you want/need and go on from there.

I use electric heaters in winter just to give and area where "the people
are" a little more heat. Thus, I would consider the units without a fan to
be a complete waste of money.

Others may well be attempting to heat an entire room.

For my money:

1) Fan is good.

2) Oscillation back and forth is good.

3) Thermostat is good.

4) Medium/Low setting is good (1500 watts is "pushing" a regular outlet.

You "lifestyle" will have to determine whether a timer is good or bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 12:50�pm, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

How often do you want to buy one?

--
Blattus Slafaly �? 3 � � �7/8

ANOTHER SEPERATE ISSUE, a friend said she will just use space heaters
in limited areas, to keep the forced air gas furnace set at 60
degreees to save bucks.

but most likely because electric is so expensive it will actually cost
her more.

electric heat is costlyt
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

My advice is to get an all metal one with a thermostat and maybe a couple
wattage settings.
Plastic cased applicances scare me after a Patton brand heater had a bad
electrical crimp connection. The connection failed and started the outer
plastic case burning.

It was in my garage on the concrete floor so I don't know what would have
happened had I not come out in the garage in time.

I have a portable "little red cube" 4000 watt heater that requires 240
volts. It cost around $115. and is built much better than the $40 consumer
junk. It heats the place up quick but it is loud due to the air flow
required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

What's the difference between a Yugo and a Porsche ?

Not 1500 watts. The Porsche can out perform a Yugo in speed and handling
, but a 1500 watt heater is going to heat the same as any other 1500 watt
heater.

True enough, the difference isn't in the amount of heat, which is obviously
the same. The difference is in the quality of the build, the safety devices
built into the better heater, which will be reflective in how well it works
and how long it lasts

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:

Jeez: What's happened to our high school physics?

Good question.

1500 watts is 1500 watts (Or rougly 5000 BTUs of heat).

No, it's roughly 5000 Btu PER HOUR of heat.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ANOTHER SEPERATE ISSUE, a friend said she will just use space heaters
in limited areas, to keep the forced air gas furnace set at 60
degreees to save bucks.

but most likely because electric is so expensive it will actually cost
her more.

electric heat is costlyt

Some places still have rates of 8¢ for electric while oil is $4+, narrowing
the gap. It is not so much a Btu for Btu exchange, but if you can use
10,000 Btu of electric and not run a boiler or furnace burning 50,000 Btu
heating unused space, there is a savings.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 27, 7:39*am, Mikepier wrote:
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

Holmes or Duracraft. Both good products, inexpensive and last
forever.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

How often do you want to buy one?

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8

I have a Holmes and a Duracraft, both came from Wal Mart for about
$20+ each and have been going strong for 6 yrs now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
ANOTHER SEPERATE ISSUE, a friend said she will just use space heaters
in limited areas, to keep the forced air gas furnace set at 60
degreees to save bucks.

but most likely because electric is so expensive it will actually cost
her more.

electric heat is costlyt

Some places still have rates of 8¢ for electric while oil is $4+, narrowing
the gap. It is not so much a Btu for Btu exchange, but if you can use
10,000 Btu of electric and not run a boiler or furnace burning 50,000 Btu
heating unused space, there is a savings.

At $3.85/gal for #2 oil in an 80% efficient furnace and $0.089/kw/hr in
a 100% efficient electric heater, electric heating is only 3% more
expensive. When this is viewed in light of your observation that with
electric heaters only the area being used is heated, electric heat is
the most cost effective by a wide margin. Of course for other energy
source costs the conclusion will change.

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 28, 9:35*am, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

The difference is how ofter you want to buy one.

Well, my parents still have 4 Duracrafts that I bought them in '97 for
$20 a piece that still work fine to this day. (And one of them
rotates)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 04:39:03 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

1500 watts is 1500 watts however, the 1500 watts of heat can
be distributed in a focused area or distributed widely.

Read about radiant, convection, and forced are convection to
determine your specific needs.

http://www.funskins.com/product-revi...e-heaters.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Rich, SURV69 wrote:
Evidently, it appears that the real need is in the *distribution of heat*, and
in every case it appears that a space heater on the floor might heat our feet,
but eventually heats the ceiling and at that point might be lost. SO, it
seems that distribution, re-distribution is the most important factor.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-333398-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 2:14:09 PM UTC-6, SURV69 wrote:
replying to Rich, SURV69 wrote:
Evidently, it appears that the real need is in the *distribution of heat*, and
in every case it appears that a space heater on the floor might heat our feet,
but eventually heats the ceiling and at that point might be lost. SO, it
seems that distribution, re-distribution is the most important factor.
--

You're too late. Rich's house burned down with him in it 8 years ago. It was a tragic loss. He is survived by a wife, 4 ex-wives, 32 children, 6 dogs, 14 cats and 567 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. Of course, you could pay attention to the date of the original post which was 9 years ago. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Observant Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 2:14:09 PM UTC-6, SURV69 wrote:
replying to Rich, SURV69 wrote:
Evidently, it appears that the real need is in the *distribution of heat*, and
in every case it appears that a space heater on the floor might heat our feet,
but eventually heats the ceiling and at that point might be lost. SO, it
seems that distribution, re-distribution is the most important factor.
--

You're too late. Rich's house burned down with him in it 8 years ago. It was a tragic loss. He is survived by a wife, 4 ex-wives, 32 children, 6 dogs, 14 cats and 567 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. Of course, you could pay attention to the date of the original post which was 9 years ago. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Observant Monster

The gerbils helped celebrate Thanksgiving mourning the loss of Rich.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2017 2:00 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

We had the gerbils for Thanksgiving dinner. They were the appetizer
course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We had the gerbils for Thanksgiving dinner. They were the appetizer
course.

Tastes like rodents ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Rat_(film)

note - Richard Dawson in a supporting role.

... they wish they had a space heater - so om topic.

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 23 Nov 2017 20:14:05 GMT, SURV69
m wrote:

replying to Rich, SURV69 wrote:
Evidently, it appears that the real need is in the *distribution of heat*, and
in every case it appears that a space heater on the floor might heat our feet,
but eventually heats the ceiling and at that point might be lost. SO, it
seems that distribution, re-distribution is the most important factor.

You need a heater that makes non-rising heat.

When you invent one of those, you'll be rich.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2017 03:12 AM, micky wrote:

[snip]

You need a heater that makes non-rising heat.

When you invent one of those, you'll be rich.

Keep the room above at a higher temperature. Then the heat in this one
won't rise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-11-25, Harry J wrote:

On 11/25/2017 03:12 AM, micky wrote:

You need a heater that makes non-rising heat.

Keep the room above at a higher temperature. Then the heat in this one
won't rise.

Back to OP's subject: Diff between a $20 and $100 1500W space heater

The answer is: $80.00

Geez, can't believe y'all missed that one fer all this rigmarole.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-11-25, Harry J wrote:

On 11/25/2017 03:12 AM, micky wrote:

You need a heater that makes non-rising heat.

Keep the room above at a higher temperature. Then the heat in this one
won't rise.

Back to OP's subject: Diff between a $20 and $100 1500W space heater

The answer is: $80.00

Thanks for answering the question.

Geez, can't believe y'all missed that one fer all this rigmarole.

nb

--
29 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Send me money, send me green, Heaven you will meet, Make a contribution
and you'll get a better seat..." [Metallica]
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tnom, John wrote:

a Patton brand heater had a bad electrical crimp connection

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-333398-.htm

6ft 1500W baseboard or 1500W space heater? Mikepier Home Repair 7 June 13th 08 04:16 PM
Noisy Space Heater packrat79 Electronics Repair 2 April 2nd 08 01:32 AM
Space heater Terry Home Repair 10 January 13th 07 03:53 AM
Space Heater ? Keith Home Repair 3 October 26th 05 04:16 AM
space heater Bob Home Repair 8 October 25th 05 02:45 AM