Posted to alt.home.repair

Default yellow jackets

Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything
flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just ticks
them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a
shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a good
while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it.
Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the grandkids
who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into them.

As always, TIA!
Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything
flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just
ticks them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a
shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a
good while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it.
Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the
grandkids who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into
them.

As always, TIA!
Chuck

Have you tried a liquid that will penetrate over time? Or a powder like
Diazanon that will linger?

Best to work at night when they are not active and they are in the hive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article on Fri, 26 Sep 2008
23:33:26 -0400, C & E wrote:

Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything
flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just ticks
them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a
shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a good
while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it.
Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the grandkids
who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into them.

I've wiped out yellow jacket nests with about a half-gallon of Demand
CS, a long lasting, micro-encapsulated pyrethrin. I used a sprayer set
to stream mode, and filled the entry hole with the liquid from about ten
feet away. I did this at dusk, just before total darkness.

Demand CS is a professional product, and banned in some states. You'll
probably have to buy it over the web. It's relatively safe, as
insecticides go, but it's shipped in highly concentrated form, which
means it needs to be mixed carefully, with appropriate safeguards.
Here's the data page for Demand CS:
http://www.syngentaprofessionalprodu...spx?prodid=333

Be warned - this is *not* an instant kill product. It will take a day or
two, but you should wipe out the nest.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 10:33*pm, "C & E" wrote:
Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait? *These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything
flammable is out of the question. *Anything that I spray at them just ticks
them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. *I tossed a
shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a good
while after dark. *By mid morning they had tunneled around it.
Tenacious little buzzers! *I more than a little concerned for the grandkids
who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into them.

As always, TIA!
Chuck

Over the years ive killed maybe 15 nests with Ortho Seven, its easy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything
flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just
ticks them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a
shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a
good while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it.
Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the
grandkids who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into
them.

As always, TIA!
Chuck

Thanks, Ed and Seth. I'm right on it!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything
flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just
ticks them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a
shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a
good while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it.
Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the
grandkids who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into
them.

As always, TIA!
Chuck

Real simple method, no poison. Take a clear plastic container, or glass
bowl, at night, press it into the dirt and above their hole. Make sure there
are no openings, but leave a good air space in the bowl. If you use a
plastic container, put a rock on top to weight it down. As long as the wasps
can see daylight when they exit the hole, they make no attempt to dig around
the bowl and within a week, they die

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've killed many a nest by simply inverting a glass bowl over the
entrance. They can see light through the bowl and thus dont bother to
dig around it. Within a few days there are piles of dead wasps on the
ground around the rim.

I'd try that before I'd use chemicals

-dickm

wrote:

Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything
flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just ticks
them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a
shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a good
while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it.
Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the grandkids
who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into them.

As always, TIA!
Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"C & E" wrote in message
[...]

Neat idea. I'm a bit paranoid of doing this at night because of the sentrys
and the limited access to the entry. I'm going to give this some thought,
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Blattus Slafaly wrote in
:

C & E wrote:
Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down
into their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much
like ant bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block
porch so anything flammable is out of the question. Anything that I
spray at them just ticks them off and after the initial kill off they
are livid. I tossed a shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then
sprayed it with water a good while after dark. By mid morning they
had tunneled around it. Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a
little concerned for the grandkids who, in spite of warnings and
observation, could wander into them.

As always, TIA!
Chuck

Put a hose on your exhaust pipe on your car or lawn tractor and stick
it in the hole. Carbon monoxide should kill them all in time.

Pulls hose out after like 30 min. Gets stung to hell. Follow-up posting
reaming Blattus a new asshole. Blattus replies asking how long he ran the
car. OP responds, "The car had to be running?".
Posted to alt.home.repair

C & E wrote:
Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything
flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just ticks
them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a
shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a good
while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it.
Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the grandkids
who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into them.

As always, TIA!
Chuck

I've used Methoxychlor 50WP, just toss a big pinch down the hole in the
evening and they will get it on their feet and track it into the nest
and kill the whole hive in about 24 hours. Sevin dust will also work, I
just had the methoxychlor handy; use 10% Sevin if you can find it
instead of the usual 5%.

HTH,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything
flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just ticks
them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a
shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a good
while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it.
Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the grandkids
who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into them.

As always, TIA!
Chuck

Wasp and hornet spray, shortly after sundown, has never failed me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"C & E" wrote in message
[...]

If you do it, don't carry a flashlight unless it's covered with a red lens

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 11:33 pm, "C & E" wrote:
Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait?

You've had some good suggestions; Demand, Tempo, Talstar, Delta Dust,
etc. will all work, but they have limited to no "knock down" effect on
hornets. I never heard the plastic jug/glass bowl technique, but it
sounds like it could work.

The colonies seem rather slow to react to any alarms, at night, IME.
A squirt of hornet "freeze" will kill the sentrys, and I've never seen
more than 3.

This is the time of year hornets are producing new queens which will
overwinter and ensure the survival or the colony, so they tend to be
very aggressive.

I had one client dig up a nest with a backhoe. He "said" it was
4'x6'x8' deep, but it was all filled in when I saw it.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Blattus Slafaly wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Blattus Slafaly wrote in
:

C & E wrote:
[...]

If you have to be told to start the car, never mind the bees.

Well, I didn't put a ":-)". Hope it wasn't taken as you forgot to tell
him to start the car!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have any of you found a product that yellow jackets will carry down into
their underground lair which will poison the entire hive - much like ant
bait? These are between a concrete foundation and block porch so anything
flammable is out of the question. Anything that I spray at them just
ticks
them off and after the initial kill off they are livid. I tossed a
shovelful of morter mix onto the hole and then sprayed it with water a
good
while after dark. By mid morning they had tunneled around it.
Tenacious little buzzers! I more than a little concerned for the
grandkids
who, in spite of warnings and observation, could wander into them.

As always, TIA!
Chuck

Wasp and hornet spray, shortly after sundown, has never failed me.

Two cans have failed me. No dice. I think that it's a very large
infestation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
Two cans have failed me. No dice. I think that it's a very large
infestation.

It may be very big. I'd go for something diluted with water and pour a
gallon or two over a few days so it saturates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You need to use an insecticide *dust* not a liquid. See my other post
for more details.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:20:04 -0400, C & E wrote:
cut

Wasp and hornet spray, shortly after sundown, has never failed me.

Two cans have failed me. No dice. I think that it's a very large
infestation.

Seven Works for me everytime. I had some YJ infest my front lawn and I
basically took some and clogged their holes with it. Within a few days,
No more bees.

Ive done the same for black ants that infested a tree out back. It only
took a few days there. Gone. All dead.

coffee

Yellow Jackets in the Eaves! Chris Home Repair 25 August 29th 17 01:52 AM
Yellow Jackets in the Eaves! Chris Home Ownership 21 August 28th 17 12:14 AM
Yellow Jackets M Q Home Repair 7 July 30th 07 10:53 AM
Yellow Jackets Jim Home Repair 4 October 22nd 06 04:00 PM
Yellow Jackets ?????? Stephen Home Repair 13 October 9th 04 06:06 PM