Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions on drywall repair - making it look good

Whenever I patch and paint over nail holes I can always see a smooth
spot where the hole was.

Any good books or websites on doing a better job at patching drywall?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The dude wrote:
Whenever I patch and paint over nail holes I can always see a smooth
spot where the hole was.

Any good books or websites on doing a better job at patching drywall?

That would indicate your walls are *not* smooth. So use some drywall
compound to match the existing texture.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The dude" wrote in message
news
Whenever I patch and paint over nail holes I can always see a smooth spot
where the hole was.

Any good books or websites on doing a better job at patching drywall?

Try using regular or setting type joint compound instead of vinyl products
such as One Time. Sand with 180 or 220 grit sand paper , prime and
paint....Good luck....DO NOT WET SPONGE......Makes it shiney EVERY TIME....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 1:52*pm, "benick" wrote:
"The dude" wrote in message

news
Whenever I patch and paint over nail holes I can always see a smooth spot
where the hole was.

Any good books or websites on doing a better job at patching drywall?

Try using regular or setting type joint compound instead of vinyl products
such as One Time. Sand with 180 or 220 grit sand paper , prime and
paint....Good luck....DO NOT WET SPONGE......Makes it shiney EVERY TIME.....

You can't damp sponge the harder type of setting type joint compound,
such as Durabond. You can damp sponge the softer type of setting type
joint compound, such as EZ Sand, but it takes more effort and produces
an inferior finish compared to damp sponging standard joint compound.

I've essentially eliminated all sanding and use just a small amount of
damp sponging to finish off the job. I do not have a problem with
shiny spots, whether in the compound or paint finish. Using a damp
sponge is the best way to apply joint compound to match textures, and
that is what is causing the OP problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Sep 27, 1:52 pm, "benick" wrote:
"The dude" wrote in message

news
[...]

How do you apply joint compound with a damp sponge to fix nail holes? Where
did the OP say he had textured walls? I've been in the drywall business for
over 20 years and have worked with MANY painters both high and low end and
that is the way they want it done. You've elimnated sanding huh? Even after
the primer coat on new drywall or plaster ? Most painters I know spend
almost as much time sanding and preping as they do painting especially the
trim...You don't have a clue......I wouldn't let you paint a doghouse for
me..