Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Residual caulk

I installed a new Vinyl double hung window.
After i caulked around the window,the next day i noticed residual caulking
smeared past the caulk joint.
I tried to clean it off with a Razor scraper,but the blade kept digging into
the vinyl & would not let me scrape it off.
Any suggestions how to remove the excess caulk?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Sep 25, 1:36 pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I installed a new Vinyl double hung window.
After i caulked around the window,the next day i noticed residual caulking
smeared past the caulk joint.
I tried to clean it off with a Razor scraper,but the blade kept digging into
the vinyl & would not let me scrape it off.
Any suggestions how to remove the excess caulk?

I'm curious, did the manufacturer recommend caulking vinyl?
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:

I installed a new Vinyl double hung window.
After i caulked around the window,the next day i noticed residual caulking
smeared past the caulk joint.
I tried to clean it off with a Razor scraper,but the blade kept digging into
the vinyl & would not let me scrape it off.
Any suggestions how to remove the excess caulk?

If the residue is very thin and the surface flat, a plastic scraper
probably would work. Make sure the edge
is perfectly smoothe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 3:28*pm, Lou wrote:
On Sep 25, 1:36 pm, "desgnr" wrote:

I installed a new Vinyl double hung window.
After i caulked around the window,the next day i noticed residual caulking
smeared past the caulk joint.
I tried to clean it off with a Razor scraper,but the blade kept digging into
the vinyl & would not let me scrape it off.
Any suggestions how to remove the excess caulk?

I'm curious, did the manufacturer recommend caulking vinyl?
* * * * * Lou

Lou,

How would you seal the gap between the window and the rough opening
without caulk? Caulk, both inside and out, serves to create a dead-air
space around the window, which is a great insulator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message ...
I installed a new Vinyl double hung window.
After i caulked around the window,the next day i noticed residual caulking
smeared past the caulk joint.
I tried to clean it off with a Razor scraper,but the blade kept digging
into the vinyl & would not let me scrape it off.
Any suggestions how to remove the excess caulk?

Best done at the time of application. But too late for that now.

Try using a wood shim or the plastic putty knife suggested by another
poster. A wood shim has worked better for me.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in :

I installed a new Vinyl double hung window.
After i caulked around the window,the next day i noticed residual
caulking smeared past the caulk joint.
I tried to clean it off with a Razor scraper,but the blade kept
digging into the vinyl & would not let me scrape it off.
Any suggestions how to remove the excess caulk?

Not sure what kind of caulk you used. If it's silicone on vinyl and since
it's only 1-2 windows you may be able to just dry rub it off.

If it's on the second floor and you can still see the oops, maybe consider
taping next time :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I installed a new Vinyl double hung window.
After i caulked around the window,the next day i noticed residual caulking
smeared past the caulk joint.
I tried to clean it off with a Razor scraper,but the blade kept digging into
the vinyl & would not let me scrape it off.
Any suggestions how to remove the excess caulk?

Don't know how it will work with the caulk you used, but you might want
to try 3M Caulk remover.

http://tinyurl.com/34sjhc

Boden