Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones?

AZ Nomad wrote:

Unless you like to heat and eat rocks, more power isn't desirable.

I rarely use full power. I'd rather eat my food than scrape it off
the
walls of the microwave oven. I cook my morning breakfast cerial at
power 4 and use 5 or 6 for everything else.

I had the same problem until I discovered food-covers.

For example, a lid from a Folger's plastic coffee "can" fits neatly over my
soup bowls. An upside-down tupperware bowl fits over saucers. And so on.
When the food explodes, bumps, or turns inside-out, the mess ends up on the
covering device, not on the MW's walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:36:44 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

Unless you like to heat and eat rocks, more power isn't desirable.

I rarely use full power. I'd rather eat my food than scrape it off
the
walls of the microwave oven. I cook my morning breakfast cerial at
power 4 and use 5 or 6 for everything else.

I had the same problem until I discovered food-covers.

For example, a lid from a Folger's plastic coffee "can" fits neatly over my
soup bowls. An upside-down tupperware bowl fits over saucers. And so on.
When the food explodes, bumps, or turns inside-out, the mess ends up on the
covering device, not on the MW's walls.

The the lid pops off, and the food ends up on the tray.

Sorry. I prefer my food in a dish, not scraped off the tray.

Variable power (duty cycle for salty's anal analysis) has been around since
the 70's with good reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

Unless you like to heat and eat rocks, more power isn't desirable.

I rarely use full power. I'd rather eat my food than scrape it off
the
walls of the microwave oven. I cook my morning breakfast cerial at
power 4 and use 5 or 6 for everything else.

I had the same problem until I discovered food-covers.

For example, a lid from a Folger's plastic coffee "can" fits neatly over my
soup bowls. An upside-down tupperware bowl fits over saucers. And so on.
When the food explodes, bumps, or turns inside-out, the mess ends up on the
covering device, not on the MW's walls.

The the lid pops off, and the food ends up on the tray.

Real microwave lids exist, and while solid on top, they are ventilated
on the sides. No popping off. It'd definitely be dumb to seal a
microwave dish with an airtight cover.

Sorry. I prefer my food in a dish, not scraped off the tray.

Variable power (duty cycle for salty's anal analysis) has been around since
the 70's with good reason.

I'm not in disagreement with nor critical of your approach, but most
people are far too impatient to wait five minutes to eat, when they can
eat in 90 seconds.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:

Unless you like to heat and eat rocks, more power isn't desirable.

I rarely use full power. *I'd rather eat my food than scrape it off
the
walls of the microwave oven. *I cook my morning breakfast cerial at
power 4 and use 5 or 6 for everything else.

I had the same problem until I discovered food-covers.
For example, a lid from a Folger's plastic coffee "can" fits neatly over my
soup bowls. An upside-down tupperware bowl fits over saucers. And so on.
When the food explodes, bumps, or turns inside-out, the mess ends up on the
covering device, not on the MW's walls.

The the lid pops off, and the food ends up on the tray. *

Sorry. *I prefer my food in a dish, not scraped off the tray.

Variable power (duty cycle for salty's anal analysis) has been around since
the 70's with good reason.

Oh good lord, just cover whatever it is with a paper
towel...."problem" solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Chuckle. Not always. This house came with an over-the-stove micro, which
I hardly ever use, in favor of my old Samsung. I tried covering a dish
with a paper towel once, at a medium power setting, and the paper towel
caught on fire.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

I've been using paper towels for YRS and have never had one catch on
fire. Were you heating up Mexican food?
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

Bull****. And what the **** problem do you have with the concept of
somebody using the variable power setting? Why does using a microwave
oven at anything but full power give you such a hernia?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 10:49*am, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 05:26:47 -0700 (PDT), terry

I have been a licensed electronic tech since... well, a very, very
long time. I've probably serviced more microwave ovens than you have
ever seen.

I imagine far more people have been injured by stoves and ovens than
microwaves.- Hide quoted text -

Hi there sa......@ dog etc.

And probably way more than I have also, so I will defer to your
greater technical/electronic expertise.

But it really does worry when someone who possibly doesn't know DC
from AC; the kinda of competent, perhaps, do it yourself person, but
who posts on this news group that they are measuring 38 volts using a
DMM on a dead wire due to capacitive pickup of AC voltages etc.

And then opens up a 1000 watt microwave (essentially a very high
frequency radio transmitter inside a metal box) with DC voltages of up
to 5000* volts and ampere capacity of at least 100* milliamps or more
(certainly enough to kill somebody) and starts tinkering and exposing
themselves to microwave radiation.

Also if they do fix it perhaps not getting the cover back on with
those RF sealing edges, and not realising that it matters?

For example: One person said something about getting a few screws to
put a microwave cover back on. That's rather like digging around in
the garage and putting whatever kind of old engine oil one finds into
a perfectly good car motor! Most wouldn't do it eh?

So yes; while I am an older and somewhat out of date (tube era)
electronics technician and I've fixed a few m.waves, if my neighbour
(who has only a few clues about 'any' electrcity) started messing with
his microwave I'd stop him for his own safety.

Safety first?
Reference ' * '; that's 43 times the voltage and at least some 3 times
the current that GFIs are required to operate for human safety. In
other words while most posters are no doubt smart and sensible and
apart from microwave radiation (you wouldn't stand in front of a
radar!) they can kill you.

So; not preaching just warning. OK?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 2:08*am, wrote:

Boy do I agree with Pat (posting #51). terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Don't remember for sure, but probably some sort of canned pasta glop, or
chunky soup. It was a corner that lit off, not a grease smudge. Almost
like a kitchen match would do.

No, I'm not curious enough to try to recreate it. That damn smoke alarm
is LOUD.
What would Mexican food have to do with it?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 26, 7:07*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
Oh good lord, just cover whatever it is with a paper
towel...."problem" solved.

Bull****. *And what the **** problem do you have with the concept of
somebody using the variable power setting? *Why does using a microwave
oven at anything but full power give you such a hernia?

WTF is your problem???? I don't give a **** WHAT power setting someone
uses. I just merely made a suggestion. I've been using a paper towel
for YEARS and have NEVER had to clean the inside of MY microwave,
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 26, 7:47*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Ron wrote:
I've been using paper towels for YRS and have never had one catch on
fire. Were you heating up Mexican food?

Don't remember for sure, but probably some sort of canned pasta glop, or
chunky soup. It was a corner that lit off, not a grease smudge. Almost
like a kitchen match would do.

No, I'm not curious enough to try to recreate it. That damn smoke alarm
is LOUD.
What would Mexican food have to do with it?

Was just joking....Mexican food - hot sauce.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 26 Sep 2008 10:29:48p, Dave Martindale told us...

writes:

There is only one actual power level. The manetron is either FULL ON,
or it's not on at all. The "power level control" simply changes the
duty cycle of FULL-ON/FULL-OFF.

True of conventional microwave ovens, but not the Panasonic Inverter
models. All power settings from 30-100% run the magnetron continuously,
but vary some tube operating parameter to adjust the RF output. The 10%
and 20% settings are implemented by 1/3 and 2/3 duty cycle at the 30%
power level.

I can cook a single egg in an open bowl in the Panasonic at 30% power
without it exploding.

I *love* my Panasonic Inverter. I've had my countertop model for about 5
years. When we moved into a new house a year and a half ago, it was
equipped with a very nice full-featured over-the-range microwave. I kept
the Panasonic since we had plenty of counter space, and I rarely use the
other unit unless what I'm cooking calls for full power, or using just the
"keep warm" setting, which works quite well.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 09(IX)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
6wks 3dys 1hrs 6mins
No battle plan ever survives contact
with the enemy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2008 4:38 PM terry spake thus:

On Sep 26, 2:08 am, wrote:

Boy do I agree with Pat (posting #51). terry

Keep in mind that not all of us (in fact, hardly any of us) view this
newsgroup through Google Groups, and therefore message numbers mean nothing.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Oh good lord, just cover whatever it is with a paper
towel...."problem" solved.

Chuckle. Not always. This house came with an over-the-stove micro,
which I hardly ever use, in favor of my old Samsung. I tried covering
a dish with a paper towel once, at a medium power setting, and the
paper towel caught on fire.

That could be you used a paper towel made out of earth-friendly, eco-pure,
save-the-whales, GoreGod, recycled materials.

Sometimes there are warnings on these products to NOT use them in a
microwave because they contain metal particles. For example, cardboard
thrown into the recycle vat often has staples remaining in them. Foil labels
and other sources of metal abound.

These metals are ground into undetectable bits and mixed with the good
stuff. When the result gets to the microwave, well, there you are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 8:28�am, "HeyBub" wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

Oh good lord, just cover whatever it is with a paper
towel...."problem" solved.

Chuckle. Not always. This house came with an over-the-stove micro,
which I hardly ever use, in favor of my old Samsung. I tried covering
a dish with a paper towel once, at a medium power setting, and the
paper towel caught on fire.

That could be you used a paper towel made out of earth-friendly, eco-pure,
save-the-whales, GoreGod, recycled materials.

Sometimes there are warnings on these products to NOT use them in a
microwave because they contain metal particles. For example, cardboard
thrown into the recycle vat often has staples remaining in them. Foil labels
and other sources of metal abound.

These metals are ground into undetectable bits and mixed with the good
stuff. When the result gets to the microwave, well, there you are.

once i put a bag of m&Ms that were frozen in our last microwave.

the wrapper had metal min it, brite sparks oven fried.

wouldnt do that again

m&M compaNY SAID THERES METAL IN THE WRAPPER

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Oh good lord, just cover whatever it is with a paper
towel...."problem" solved.

Chuckle. Not always. This house came with an over-the-stove micro,
which I hardly ever use, in favor of my old Samsung. I tried covering
a dish with a paper towel once, at a medium power setting, and the
paper towel caught on fire.

That could be you used a paper towel made out of earth-friendly, eco-pure,
save-the-whales, GoreGod, recycled materials.

Sometimes there are warnings on these products to NOT use them in a
microwave because they contain metal particles. For example, cardboard
thrown into the recycle vat often has staples remaining in them. Foil labels
and other sources of metal abound.

These metals are ground into undetectable bits and mixed with the good
stuff. When the result gets to the microwave, well, there you are.

Nope, although I like trees, I refuse to pay double prices for 'tree
hugger' labeled products. Plain old bounty, no printed patterns, no
nothing.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:17:34 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.

I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could
wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.

So is this microwave worth saving?

I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered"
to where they may not be the best for the long run.

Your opinion?

Thanks

TMT

Personally, I'd question repair of an appliance over 10 years. A new
microwave is might be $300 (or less) with improved features. You are
right, though, about many things made today don't last. If you enjoy
tinkering (or can't afford a new one) go for it!

Microwave Ovens Astriapo Electronics Repair 1 April 6th 08 01:43 PM
RECALL: Thermador(r) Built-In Ovens Greg Home Repair 0 June 29th 07 10:22 PM
RECALL: Thermador(r) Built-In Ovens Greg Home Ownership 0 June 29th 07 10:22 PM
Built-under gas ovens Nobody UK diy 3 December 28th 06 05:49 PM
Built in ovens - standard size? Peter Hughes UK diy 3 July 3rd 03 06:38 PM