Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weird fitting on a hose bib

One of my customers has a weird thing on one of their hose bibs outside:
a large brass or bronze cylinder with male hose threads outboard
(presumably female on the other side), and a series of holes around the
male threads. As the customer put it, it seems to be designed to ... let
water leak out, which is what it does when you use the hose.

They surmised that maybe it was put there to guard against overpressure.
I've never seen such a thing.

Anyone know what this might be, and whether I can safely just remove it?

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
One of my customers has a weird thing on one of their hose bibs outside:
a large brass or bronze cylinder with male hose threads outboard
(presumably female on the other side), and a series of holes around the
male threads. As the customer put it, it seems to be designed to ... let
water leak out, which is what it does when you use the hose.

They surmised that maybe it was put there to guard against overpressure.
I've never seen such a thing.

Anyone know what this might be,

Anti-siphon hose bib.

and whether I can safely just remove it?

Most likely required by code. It sounds like it needs fixing or
replacement if it's leaking continuously.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
One of my customers has a weird thing on one of their hose bibs outside:
a large brass or bronze cylinder with male hose threads outboard
(presumably female on the other side), and a series of holes around the
male threads. As the customer put it, it seems to be designed to ... let
water leak out, which is what it does when you use the hose.

They surmised that maybe it was put there to guard against overpressure.
I've never seen such a thing.

Anyone know what this might be, and whether I can safely just remove it?

Here's your explanation:

http://tinyurl.com/fkonw

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 11:43*pm, Mike Paulsen wrote:

Anti-siphon hose bib.

Most likely required by code. It sounds like it needs fixing or
replacement if it's leaking continuously.

Every house I have ever owned here in Phoenix has had them fastened
onto the hose bib with a set screw that usually needs to be drilled
out in order to remove it. They tighten them down with a regular screw
and then cut the head off flush to the anti siphon fitting. So, you go
to the home/hardware store, buy a new fitting for a few bucks, and
replace it.

They're used to keep from sucking hose water back into the house lines
if the main house supply loses pressure. It's a good idea to have one
on there.

Jerry

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

It is a backflow preventer . The first (normal) type simply thread "on"
(female) to the bibb with a standard (~3/4") hose thread.
It has the same thread on the other end (male) to connect the hose.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AE113

If that is the type, you're OK and can get them at any plumbing supply
place. If its not the standard type pictured in the above URL, then yours
may have a thread and a larger diameter than the standard bibb and the
thread reversed..

Our neighbors have that other type. Its designed to perform the same
function. There is a vinyl/rubber seal inside and that is what is supposed
to 'seal' under pressure and stop water 'leaking' out. When the tap is shut
off, the seal is supposed to release and let the water in the bibb 'out' and
'air' in creating an air gap therefore preventing any chance of backflow.
In yours (and my neighbors) the seal has failed and its not designed to be
replaced inside the larger than normal brass fitting.

The first type can be removed and a hose simply connected to the bibb in the
normal fashion.
The other type has a built in feature that once it's removed, all you have
left on the bibb is a 1" large FEMALE thread to which nothing can be
connected. Its the design of the bibb itself that's the problem, not the
preventer.

That being said, I called all the usual suspects looking for a replacement
for the neighbors 'leaking' adapter: HD, ACE, HH and no one had a clue
what I was talking about..I even called the builder of the home to find out
who the plumber was that put this thing on..no luck. I finally got hold of
a company that had them and sent the neighbor over to get a new one. If
yours is the first type..well, that's it.. if it's the second type, advise
and we'll find out where you can get one in your area.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
One of my customers has a weird thing on one of their hose bibs outside: a
large brass or bronze cylinder with male hose threads outboard (presumably
female on the other side), and a series of holes around the male threads.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Rudy wrote:

The other type has a built in feature that once it's removed, all you have
left on the bibb is a 1" large FEMALE thread to which nothing can be
connected. ...

1" close nipple, 1"x3/4" reducer, NPT/hose adapter...

Problem solved permanently...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2008 11:43 PM Mike Paulsen spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

One of my customers has a weird thing on one of their hose bibs outside:
a large brass or bronze cylinder with male hose threads outboard
(presumably female on the other side), and a series of holes around the
male threads. As the customer put it, it seems to be designed to ... let
water leak out, which is what it does when you use the hose.

They surmised that maybe it was put there to guard against overpressure.
I've never seen such a thing.

Anyone know what this might be,

Anti-siphon hose bib.

and whether I can safely just remove it?

Most likely required by code. It sounds like it needs fixing or
replacement if it's leaking continuously.

Thanks to you, and to the others who responded here so quickly. I'm
going to take the old one off and replace it.

- Paulo Freire