Posted to alt.home.repair

Default primer problem!

Hello.. I am priming newly patched/repaired plaster walls with PVA
primer. The walls were never painted before- covered w/wallpaper. I
accidently rubbed up an area in a tight spot and a smudge occured.. I
tried to fix it, but it is peeling now. and, off comes big shards of
it off the bare plaster patch. when it fully dries, will I be ok to
sand the edges and reprime the area?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:12:20 -0700 (PDT), Chris
wrote:

Hello.. I am priming newly patched/repaired plaster walls with PVA
primer. The walls were never painted before- covered w/wallpaper. I
accidently rubbed up an area in a tight spot and a smudge occured.. I
tried to fix it, but it is peeling now. and, off comes big shards of
it off the bare plaster patch. when it fully dries, will I be ok to
sand the edges and reprime the area?

Should work. After a light sanding you may need to skim coat the area
with a wide plaster knife. Check using a trouble light (and your
head) held against the wall to see the defects.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just lightly sanded the edges of the peeled away primer. it does
look a little better, but you can still see where it is. would it be
best to try re-prime first in hopes of not having to skim it, or will
I have to skim anyway?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 22, 9:36*pm, Chris wrote:
I just lightly sanded the edges of the peeled away primer. it does
look a little better, but you can still see where it is. would it be
best to try re-prime first in hopes of not having to skim it, or will
I have to skim anyway?

Your primer may not be the best adhering on the market. While a skim
coat may be needed to level the surface, you still must tackle the
adhesion problem. Get some recommendations from a pro paint store and
spring for a quart of something better to get the project done.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

figures I am 2/3 of the way done! all the other areas I have primed
are of no problem as far as I can tell.. I can run my hands along the
walls and nothing bubbles or scrapes away like this one area. I am
using Glidden PVA primer.