Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas engine or electric motor for bicycles

Anyone have any experience with these.
I did many internet searches on the
subject, but what I'm looking for is
personal experience, i.e. electric vs.
gas, 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle, etc.. The new
area where I will move next year will
make it impossible to ride a bike. So,
I'd like one of these things to help me
up the hills.
Thanks,
Art
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:52:00 -0400, Blattus Slafaly wrote:

Art Todesco wrote:
Anyone have any experience with these. I did many internet searches on
the subject, but what I'm looking for is personal experience, i.e.
electric vs. gas, 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle, etc.. The new area where I will
move next year will make it impossible to ride a bike. So, I'd like
one of these things to help me up the hills. Thanks,
Art

Keep practicing bike riding and the hills will become easier and easier.
Do you know how to shift a 15 speed or higher?

Some older folks with medical problems find riding a bike very good
cardiovascular exercise but if the hills where this poster is moving are a
problem a motor may be the only short term method to overcome that. The OP
may have just left this information out intentionally.

That is how I read the post. I wouldn't try steep hills anymore either
just because of the above reason.

Sorry, I would have to make that decision based on the size of the hills
or go for a stationary bike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
Anyone have any experience with these. I did many internet searches on
the subject, but what I'm looking for is personal experience, i.e.
electric vs. gas, 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle, etc.. The new area where I will
move next year will make it impossible to ride a bike. So, I'd like one
of these things to help me up the hills.
Thanks,
Art

Hi Art,
When I was a kid we used to have "motor bikes" that went under the name of
Whizzer. The gas motor was mounted between the handle bar and the seat. You got
it going by peddling fast and then tightening the belt and the motor would start
(if you were lucky). I haven't seen one in years. I think it ran on straight
gas. I don't recall mixing oil to it.
Western Auto may have sold them. Hope you find one... Chuck
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
Anyone have any experience with these. I did many internet searches on
the subject, but what I'm looking for is personal experience, i.e.
electric vs. gas, 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle, etc.. The new area where I
will move next year will make it impossible to ride a bike. So, I'd
like one of these things to help me up the hills.
Thanks,
Art

Hi Art,
When I was a kid we used to have "motor bikes" that went under the
name of Whizzer. The gas motor was mounted between the handle bar and
the seat. You got it going by peddling fast and then tightening the belt
and the motor would start (if you were lucky). I haven't seen one in
years. I think it ran on straight gas. I don't recall mixing oil to it.
Western Auto may have sold them. Hope you find one... Chuck

Art... Do a Goggle on Whizzer motor bikes and you will have all the info you
need. They are still being made and sold. Good luck. I may even get me one. Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 3:11*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
Anyone have any experience with these.
I did many internet searches on the
subject, but what I'm looking for is
personal experience, i.e. electric vs.
gas, 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle, etc.. *The new
area where I will move next year will
make it impossible to ride a bike. *So,
I'd like one of these things to help me
up the hills.
Thanks,
Art

Gas conversion motors are sold, my friend put a 2 stroke on a bike for
maybe 350$, electric are 1000-near 2000.00 for a complete bike and a
NiMh pack. It depends on how many miles you need to go and your
pocketbook. Electric is nice but I bet 3 years is pack life and maybe
2-300 to replace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in
:

www.harleydavidson.com .... I'd go with the gas model.

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with these. I did many internet searches
on the subject, but what I'm looking for is personal experience, i.e.
electric vs. gas, 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle, etc.. The new area where I
will move next year will make it impossible to ride a bike. So, I'd
like one of these things to help me up the hills.
Thanks,
Art

yes,SLA batteries only last so long,and they are expensive to replace.
Pretty heavy,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik