Posted to sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,sci.energy,alt.home.repair

Default Radiant Floor heating - nonliquid?

Rod Speed wrote:

John Weiss wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

I see a lot of "Radiant Floor Heating" with a rubbery tubing
stapled under the floor. SInce I tend to be in horror of any kind
of leaks, I wonder why they don't use some compresses gas instead?

Mind you, I have even had experience with central venting
"leaking": I haven't used a/c since my folks died but my uncle's
a/c duct sweats onto my ceiling. That's the price for freeloading
(hot air rises) off his a/c.

Gas does not transmit heat very well. Gas is often used as an
insulator to prevent thermal transfer, not to enhance it.

Also, gas can leak just as easily as liquid -- in some cases (e.g.,
monatomic molecules and/or high pressure).

However, you can also get under-floor heating that is simply electric
resistance heat. Not necessarily cheap or efficient, but you don't
have to worry as much about leaks...

But you can still get failures in that which while not damaging anything
that matters, still need to be fixed if you want the heating to continue.

Get the jackhammer out !

Graham

Posted to sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,sci.energy,alt.home.repair

Eeyore wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

John Weiss wrote:
[...]

And you dont usually need to do that with water based underfloor heating,
because the joints arent usually embedded in the floor with properly designed
systems, and its usually the joints that fail, not the body of the piping.

And it isnt hard to have leak detection which shuts the system down too.