Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions for good quality caulk

Hello,

Will be replacing 7 vinyl windows in about two weeks. Was thinking
about using silicon but think it could be a big mess. Don't want to
be wiping excess away with mineral spirits.

I've used DAP many times but don't know if there is anything better.

Want something that won't shrink when dry and paintable.

Thanks...btb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brent Bolin" wrote in message
Hello,

Will be replacing 7 vinyl windows in about two weeks. Was thinking
about using silicon but think it could be a big mess. Don't want to
be wiping excess away with mineral spirits.

I've used DAP many times but don't know if there is anything better.

Want something that won't shrink when dry and paintable.

Thanks...btb

Most pure silicone should not be painted.

All the brands including Dap have several quality and price levels. You get
what you pay for in most cases.

I use the ALEX plus or Ultra for most of my projects. Both have silicone
added and are paintable.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 9:31*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Brent Bolin" wrote in message

Hello,

Will be replacing 7 *vinyl windows in about two weeks. *Was thinking
about using silicon but think it could be a big mess. *Don't want to
be wiping excess away with mineral spirits.

I've used DAP many times but don't know if there is anything better.

Want something that won't shrink when dry and paintable.

Thanks...btb

Most pure silicone should not be painted.

All the brands including Dap have several quality and price levels. You get
what you pay for in most cases.

I use the ALEX plus or Ultra for most of my projects. *Both have silicone
added and are paintable.

Colbyt

Thanks for your reply -

DAP® ALEX PLUS® Acrylic Latex Caulk Plus Silicone
Superior quality, multi-purpose acrylic latex caulk plus silicone.
Highly flexible and durable. Excellent adhesion. Cured caulk is mildew
resistant. Interior/exterior use. Paintable. Water clean-up. 35 Year
Durability Guarantee. Exceeds ASTM Specification C 834.

Sounds like a plan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 07:01:07 -0700 (PDT), Brent Bolin
wrote:

Hello,

Will be replacing 7 vinyl windows in about two weeks. Was thinking
about using silicon but think it could be a big mess. Don't want to
be wiping excess away with mineral spirits.

I've used DAP many times but don't know if there is anything better.

Want something that won't shrink when dry and paintable.

Thanks...btb

I've used DAP for many years and never had any problems with it. Why
change?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 9:01*am, Brent Bolin wrote:
Hello,

Will be replacing 7 *vinyl windows in about two weeks. *Was thinking
about using silicon but think it could be a big mess. *Don't want to
be wiping excess away with mineral spirits.

I've used DAP many times but don't know if there is anything better.

Want something that won't shrink when dry and paintable.

Thanks...btb

I am a big fan of caulk by Tremco and Sonneborn, but neither are easy
to clean up. You might have trouble finding them as none of the "big
box" stores carry them. Way better than than any latex product.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, I made a little jingle for myself "Dap is crap, Dow is wow." May
be of some use to you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus