Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Amana icemaker

This is a bottom freezer fridge that is 10 years old.

The icemaker is not making ice although there is fresh ice in the tray.
There is a creaking sound from the icemaker as if it is trying to run. It
makes no difference if the arm is up or down.
Looking in there appears to be some ice sticking out at the rear of the
unit. That is it looks like a piece of ice was almost ejected but only got
about half way out. it seems to be in there solidly.

What is the likely cause?

I am tempted to remove the icemaker and let it all thaw out and see if that
resolves the problem or is this a symptom of a particular problem.

I am fairly handy, but this is my first experience with a balky icemaker and
I need some guidance.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 2:00*pm, "Charlie" wrote:
This is a bottom freezer *fridge that is 10 years old.

The icemaker is not making ice although there is fresh ice in the tray.
There is a creaking sound from the icemaker as if it is trying to run. It
makes no difference if the arm is up or down.
Looking in there appears to be some ice sticking out at the rear of the
unit. That is it looks like a piece of ice was almost ejected but only got
about half way out. it seems to be in there solidly.

What is the likely cause?

I am tempted to remove the icemaker and let it all thaw out and see if that
resolves the problem or is this a symptom of a particular problem.

I am fairly handy, but this is my first experience with a balky icemaker and
I need some guidance.

Charlie

The mechanism works by freezing water until a temp sensor detects that
the ice in the maker is cold indicating it is frozen solid. That
enables a heater that loosens up the ice for a brief period. Then
the motor moves the paddles that push the ice out, then activate a
solenoid that lets in water, and then the motor stops waiting for the
ice to freeze again.

It sounds like it could be the ice is not being heated to loosen it up
or the gears in the mechanism could be shot, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

A quick follow on question. I am trying to get the cover off the front.
Is this simply a friction fit or are there clips or release that I cannot
see?
I don't want to break anything by being to heavy-handed.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 2:55*pm, "Charlie" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Charlie- Hide quoted text -

Who knows. Depends on the specific unit. If you google for
appliance parts, the online shops have pretty good exploded drawings
of the fridges that will help show you how it's put together. Just
enter the make and model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message
. ..
This is a bottom freezer fridge that is 10 years old.

The icemaker is not making ice although there is fresh ice in the tray.
There is a creaking sound from the icemaker as if it is trying to run. It
makes no difference if the arm is up or down.
Looking in there appears to be some ice sticking out at the rear of the
unit. That is it looks like a piece of ice was almost ejected but only got
about half way out. it seems to be in there solidly.

What is the likely cause?

I am tempted to remove the icemaker and let it all thaw out and see if
that resolves the problem or is this a symptom of a particular problem.

I am fairly handy, but this is my first experience with a balky icemaker
and I need some guidance.

Charlie

You may luck out and the thaw may fix it. If not, they run about $75 to
$100 for a new one. You can see some information at www.applianceaid.com
or www.repairclinic.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is the likely cause?
I am tempted to remove the icemaker and let it all thaw out and see if that
resolves the problem or is this a symptom of a particular problem.
Charlie

I have a Kenmore unit w/ an ice maker and it has stopped making ice a
couple of times. To get it to work I move everything out of the
freezer to the freezer downstairs and let it sit open for a while. A
repairman once told me there is a valve and sometimes it drips a
little instead of shutting off completely. When this happens the
water in the line freezes and the ice maker stops working. Let it
thaw out and see if that fixes your problem.

GoodLuck,
JDG

refrigerator icemaker wf3h Home Repair 9 August 27th 07 12:07 AM
icemaker frigidaire snglbrd Home Repair 1 February 25th 07 05:52 PM
icemaker problem [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 October 28th 06 06:55 PM
Icemaker PanHandler Home Repair 8 August 8th 05 12:50 PM
Amana Icemaker Carl J. Mosca Home Repair 5 September 6th 03 09:29 PM