Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave Repair - Door Switch

I have determined that the door switch on our GE Electric Profile JET342H
microwave oven is failing. The failure is evidenced by the microwave
starting and stopping if you jiggle the latch button ever so slightly. Is
is possible for me to replace this switch without risk of electric shock
(capacitor in oven)? And, is the switch in such a location where diassembly
is fairly involved and beyond the scope of someone with good mechanical
skills?

The oven was built in 1992, and I'd rather not replace as it is built in to
a wood cabinet and matches the oven.

Thank you.

- Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair

PSMSR wrote:
I have determined that the door switch on our GE Electric Profile JET342H
microwave oven is failing. The failure is evidenced by the microwave
starting and stopping if you jiggle the latch button ever so slightly. Is
is possible for me to replace this switch without risk of electric shock
(capacitor in oven)? And, is the switch in such a location where diassembly
is fairly involved and beyond the scope of someone with good mechanical
skills?

The oven was built in 1992, and I'd rather not replace as it is built in to
a wood cabinet and matches the oven.

Thank you.

- Phil

Here ya go-
http://www.partselect.com/MultiModel...RefineSearch=0
.. Google is your friend.

As to the repair work itself- usually not a big deal, as long as you
stay out of the power supply and away from the magnetron and such. I
have brought several trashpicked micros back to life by just
field-stripping them and cleaning them. The safety switches are often
just full of gunk, and sometimes they are designed to be reversible, so
you can roll them over to a fresh set of wear points. If you can't find
the part, I'd definitely give it try before I trashed it. Yes, anything
with caps, best to let them sit unplugged for a day or so to drain down,
just in case.

Standard disclaimer- I am not a certified repair tech or a lawyer. Pay
attention to my opinions solely at your own risk.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here ya go-http://www.partselect.com/MultiModels.aspx?ModelNum=JET342H&SearchTer...
. Google is your friend.

As to the repair work itself- usually not a big deal, as long as you
stay out of the power supply and away from the magnetron and such. I
have brought several trashpicked micros back to life by just
field-stripping them and cleaning them. The safety switches are often
just full of gunk, and sometimes they are designed to be reversible, so
you can roll them over to a fresh set of wear points. If you can't find
the part, I'd definitely give it try before I trashed it. Yes, anything
with caps, best to let them sit unplugged for a day or so to drain down,
just in case.

Standard disclaimer- I am not a certified repair tech or a lawyer. Pay
attention to my opinions solely at your own risk.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

There are frequently more than one microswitch involved with the door
mechanism. Take the cover off and try jigglying each switch while the
unit is heating some water as a dummy load, and see which one is the
faulty unit. You may be able to loosen the mounting screws and move
the offending switch slightly to get things to work again, otherwise,
the switches are only a few bucks.

Bob Hofmann

Microwave Oven Primary Switch Replacement Mike Home Repair 1 April 30th 08 03:26 AM
Microwave door/switch adjustment [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 23rd 08 03:55 PM
microwave repair Dan K Home Repair 2 July 13th 06 03:38 AM
Information on microwave transfer switch [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 September 14th 05 01:23 AM
microwave interlock switch cross reference needed [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 February 9th 04 11:43 AM