Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Termites

I'm cross-posting here from another group and would appreciate any
information on termite extermination. I googled it and found tons of
hits on that subject but I would also like to read what anyone has to
say who's had experience with those disgusting insects. Thanks in
advance.

Please no e-mails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"~ N i x i ~" wrote

I'm cross-posting here from another group and would appreciate any
information on termite extermination. I googled it and found tons of
hits on that subject but I would also like to read what anyone has to
say who's had experience with those disgusting insects. Thanks in
advance.

What are your specific questions? It's too open ended a post here for us to
help since we dont even know if these are subterrain types or what.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perimeter spray's, or any other type of material above ground will not deter
termites, years ago a barrier was applied inside and outside of the home,
holes were drilled 6inches to 1 ft apart around the perimete and inside, a
liquid material was pressure sprayed into them..this presented a barrier
termites did not like...thus called a barrier, wasnt always effective.
Modern day applications are called bait stations, wooden material is
installed to attract any termites in the area...(they are coming anyway)
when termites are noted then another material is applied ( I do not know
what it is) this material is taken by the termites, and back at the colonies
more termites are told good stuuf is there..
Now a termite must shed to grow..just like a snake..if it does not grow it
dies....so goes the termite colony it will eventually die out.
I know because I have had these for 30 years and finally they are gone,
however I am paying an annual bait station fee and inspections to keep them
from coming in again..
Here in PA termites are abundant, and anywhere a tree is removed they will
move in and eat the roots, if they are in the area..They arent disgusting,
just very interesting creatures doing what they were made to do
"~ N i x i ~" wrote in message
I'm cross-posting here from another group and would appreciate any
information on termite extermination. I googled it and found tons of
hits on that subject but I would also like to read what anyone has to
say who's had experience with those disgusting insects. Thanks in
advance.

Please no e-mails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

~ N i x i ~ wrote:

I'm cross-posting here from another group and would appreciate any
information on termite extermination. I googled it and found tons of
hits on that subject but I would also like to read what anyone has to
say who's had experience with those disgusting insects. Thanks in
advance.

Please no e-mails.

You need to find a local or area source of information, as dominant
species vary from region
to region and with climate. Your county or state extension service
should have info. Florida
has loads of info at univ. extension service. An informed homeowner can
probably do as good
a termite inspection as any inspectors I have seen, but I firmly
recommend an annual inspection
from a reputable company. Prevention is also very, very important ...
sealing up gaps in exterior
from plumbing or elect. entry, etc., keeping wood painted, keeping wood
debris away from home,
keeping landscaping from contacting wood parts of home.

Basicly, there are two types of termite, subteranean and dry wood, and
require different methods
of control. If there are contractors who give free inspections, call a
couple and pick their brains.
You need to inform yourself before contracting for any pest control, and
have reliable
references for them as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim C wrote:

Modern day applications are called
bait stations, wooden material is installed to attract any termites
in the area...(they are coming anyway) when termites are noted then
another material is applied ( I do not know what it is) this material
is taken by the termites, and back at the colonies more termites are
told good stuuf is there..

That is so last year. The newer technique is an improvement on the bait
station chemical and it's a barrier application.

You dig a trench around the perimeter, put in the chemical (Termidor), and
cover the trench. Poof! No more termites!

See he
http://www.termidorhome.com/AllAboutTermidor.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

We had a major problem with exterminating termites.... merely saved
our house. It seems it was infested with termites and we had no clue
because the breeding was taking place in the basemen. We went for a 2
month vacation. When we came back it was awful. However, we managed to
get rid of termites by calling a
termite
extermination company. They house survived, but we sold it
after a short period of time.
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com

Termites Ray K Home Repair 17 April 24th 07 04:04 AM
termites mo Home Repair 19 September 27th 06 04:27 AM
How to get rid of termites Ejohnson Home Repair 8 May 13th 06 09:41 PM
Termites Ben Siders Woodworking 7 August 8th 03 12:51 AM