DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Carbon monoxide alarm error (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/260773-carbon-monoxide-alarm-error.html)

Jim September 20th 08 01:11 AM

Carbon monoxide alarm error

Came home today to discover that my First Alert model FCD4 was acting
strangely. Single chirp every minute or so. Looking closely at the
display was the "err" message.

I'm guessing it is one of two factors. #1 being they are cheaply made
and simply don't last more than a couple years. #2 being the sensor is
dirty causing the error message. If so how does one clean it? Would
compressed do?

terry September 20th 08 01:36 AM

On Sep 19, 9:11*pm, Jim wrote:
Came home today to discover that my First Alert model FCD4 was acting
strangely. *Single chirp every minute or so. *Looking closely at the
display was the "err" message.

I'm guessing it is one of two factors. *#1 being they are cheaply made
and simply don't last more than a couple years. *#2 being the sensor is
dirty causing the error message. *If so how does one clean it? *Would
compressed do?

AC operated? Therefore not low battery, like smoke alarm. Or is there
a battery backup?
Knowing nothing about them except we have one plugged in near the
bedrooms for last few years would one have to careful about damaging
something by too much of blast of say air?

Jim September 20th 08 03:20 AM

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:43:18 -0400, Claude Hopper wrote:

Jim wrote:
Came home today to discover that my First Alert model FCD4 was acting
strangely. Single chirp every minute or so. Looking closely at the
display was the "err" message.

I'm guessing it is one of two factors. #1 being they are cheaply made
and simply don't last more than a couple years. #2 being the sensor is
dirty causing the error message. If so how does one clean it? Would
compressed do?

That's usually a low battery condition.

Popped in fresh battery, same problem. Unit has a low batt message if
the battery runs low. Unit itself is AC powered, battery backup.

Uncle Monster[_3_] September 20th 08 03:35 AM

Jim wrote:
Came home today to discover that my First Alert model FCD4 was acting
strangely. Single chirp every minute or so. Looking closely at the
display was the "err" message.

I'm guessing it is one of two factors. #1 being they are cheaply made
and simply don't last more than a couple years. #2 being the sensor is
dirty causing the error message. If so how does one clean it? Would
compressed do?

Did you contact First Alert support?
Did you RTFM? Always keep the manual.
They know more about their product
than I do.

http://www.firstalert.com/support.php

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Kenneth September 20th 08 04:15 AM

Carbon monoxide alarm error

On 19 Sep 2008 23:11:46 GMT, Jim
wrote:

Came home today to discover that my First Alert model FCD4 was acting
strangely. Single chirp every minute or so. Looking closely at the
display was the "err" message.

I'm guessing it is one of two factors. #1 being they are cheaply made
and simply don't last more than a couple years. #2 being the sensor is
dirty causing the error message. If so how does one clean it? Would
compressed do?

Howdy,

I will add something to the other comments you have seen...

We had a similar problem (not with a CO, but with a smoke)
and could not find the cause of the chirp.

As it turns out, when these things are hard wired, they talk
to each other, and the unit chirping was not the unit with
the failed battery.

It took us quite a while to sort out, but you might want to
consider that possibility.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Jim C September 20th 08 04:33 AM

Carbon monoxide alarm error

I have a bunch of them around the house and some have battery backup even
though there are AC...when batteries get lo they alarm to let you know to
replace it..I have 1 unit that goes lo ever 4 months...going to replace
it..I have about 7 around the house, each one backs up the other..much
better when your dealing with a quiet killer

SteveB September 21st 08 08:13 AM

Carbon monoxide alarm error

According to the paperwork included in every smoke detector and CO detector
sold in the US, there is a disclaimer that states there is a high failure
rate among these products. In some cases up to 50%, but the jurisdiction
involved dictates if they have to state the actual failure rate or merely
say a "number" of these products can be expected to fail.

There are countless stories of these products going off after the FD has
responded and the fire is out.

They're a crap shoot.

In the event of an actual fire, if there is any warning, a good plan saves
more people than anything else. If harmful gases overcome people before
they respond, the story turns the other way. There are different kinds of
smoke and CO alerts out there, and their reliability is all over the map.

Good luck.

Steve