Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tying into the seage drain

Hi,

I have recently posted a question about tapping into this drain:

http://freeboundaries.com/drain.jpg

and I received good advice to actually tie into one of the smaller
pipes that go into it. Well it turns out that that location is too
high and would allow the space for a long-enough standpipe for my
washer.

So I have to tie into that drain somewhere lower. The drain that you
see in the picture is actually 4 feet off the floor but it takes a 90
degree turn downwards and it's into this vertical part of the drain
that I would need to tie in. So my question again is: what's involved?
I assume it's cast iron so I would somehow have to drill a hole in the
cast iron and attach a 2" pipe. What do I need and where do I start?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 3:34*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have recently posted a question about tapping into this drain:

http://freeboundaries.com/drain.jpg

and I received good advice to actually tie into one of the smaller
pipes that go into it. Well it turns out that that location is too
high and would allow the space for a long-enough standpipe for my
washer.

So I have to tie into that drain somewhere lower. The drain that you
see in the picture is actually 4 feet off the floor but it takes a 90
degree turn downwards and it's into this vertical part of the drain
that I would need to tie in. So my question again is: what's involved?
I assume it's cast iron so I would somehow have to drill a hole in the
cast iron and attach a 2" pipe. What do I need and where do I start?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

No, you don't drill a hole in it. You cut out a section of it and tie
in a PVC (or ABS in Canada and some western states) 4" x 2" WYE (or
sanitary Tee) with a couple short pcs of 4" PVC above and below, and
use Clamp-Alls to tie to the cast iron. A "snap cutter" makes short
work of cutting the stack, but I have good success with a 4" grinder
and a cheapie diamond blade.

Feel free to email me off list for more details if you need them.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote:

On Sep 19, 3:34Â*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

What jake said!!!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 10:15*pm, evodawg wrote:
Big_Jake wrote:
[...]

Website Addresshttp://rentmyhusband.co.nr/- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the advice!

Just so that I visualize it correctly, does the PVC pipe go on the
inside for the stack, the outside, or just about flush?

Also, I own a grinder, buy I am wondering if it would still work if my
stack is only a couple of inches away from the wall.

Thanks again,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote:
[...]

Aaron- Hide quoted text -

It has to go flush so the rubber coupling will slide over and seal
against both pipes where they meet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 19, 3:34*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

snip

Why not do it the easy way and get rid of the cast iron to the extent
necessary to install PVC with Fernco fittings? The result would be
much tidier and secure installation. Disturbing old cast iron often
causes ancient lead and oakum seals to leak.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote:
[...]

Yep. Cutting the pipe close to the wall will be tough with the
grinder. The least difficult way to finish off the cut will be a
recip saw with a grit blade, but that is still tough. You might want
to rent a snap cutter instead.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 3:47*pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
On Sep 21, 4:07 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

Big_Jake wrote:

[...]

JK- Hide quoted text -

Is this the kind of tool we are talking about?

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Forgot the link:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/69...2_Chain_Pipe_C...

* *Yes.

* *See if a local tool rental place has one, rather than owning it.

Jim always beats me to the punch! :-)

My local Home Depot rents them, but the one in your link is pretty
wimpy, and completely maxes out on a 4" stack. Rent a Ridgid.

JK

Tying down a lathe Ignoramus27232 Metalworking 19 July 10th 08 08:53 AM
tying in extension walls sm_jamieson UK diy 7 January 20th 08 11:16 PM
Tying in the inner skin of an extension [email protected] UK diy 0 May 15th 07 10:20 AM
Fly Tying in China Da UK diy 4 January 27th 07 10:13 PM
Tying laundry tub to cleanout [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 12th 04 07:15 PM