DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shrinking shingles (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/260756-shrinking-shingles.html)

[email protected] September 19th 08 04:13 PM

Shrinking shingles

When did they shrink 3-tab shingles?

I had an bundle from about 2 years ago that I bought to fix a few blow-
offs. Needed more to re-roof the SW slope before winter, so I went to
Home Depot, got 6 bundles of the same SKU, same color, same brand
shingles.

The new shingles are at least an inch shorter, and 2 inches narrower,
than the old shingles! What a surprise when you get to the middle of
the row and discover the difference.

Evidently this is more of that "ice cream container" marketing. The
bundles I bought two years ago were $25.xx, and the new bundles were
$22.xx. I was expecting to pay at least $30 a bundle given the rise in
cost of petroleum products. Now I know why they were so cheap.

I really don't care, they cover the roof and are hopefully waterproof.
It was just a surprise to find two different sized shingles.

Joe September 19th 08 04:49 PM

Shrinking shingles

On Sep 19, 10:13*am, wrote:
When did they shrink 3-tab shingles?

I had an bundle from about 2 years ago that I bought to fix a few blow-
offs. Needed more to re-roof the SW slope before winter, so I went to
Home Depot, got 6 bundles of the same SKU, same color, same brand
shingles.

The new shingles are at least an inch shorter, and 2 inches narrower,
than the old shingles! What a surprise when you get to the middle of
the row and discover the difference.

Evidently this is more of that "ice cream container" marketing. The
bundles I bought two years ago were $25.xx, and the new bundles were
$22.xx. I was expecting to pay at least $30 a bundle given the rise in
cost of petroleum products. Now I know why they were so cheap.

I really don't care, they cover the roof and are hopefully waterproof.
It was just a surprise to find two different sized shingles.

Shingles are available in metric sizes, slightly larger than standard.
perhaps this is what explains the difference.

Joe

Runtime Error September 19th 08 04:49 PM

Shrinking shingles

wrote in message
When did they shrink 3-tab shingles?

I had an bundle from about 2 years ago that I bought to fix a few blow-
offs. Needed more to re-roof the SW slope before winter, so I went to
Home Depot, got 6 bundles of the same SKU, same color, same brand
shingles.

The new shingles are at least an inch shorter, and 2 inches narrower,
than the old shingles! What a surprise when you get to the middle of
the row and discover the difference.

Evidently this is more of that "ice cream container" marketing. The
bundles I bought two years ago were $25.xx, and the new bundles were
$22.xx. I was expecting to pay at least $30 a bundle given the rise in
cost of petroleum products. Now I know why they were so cheap.

I really don't care, they cover the roof and are hopefully waterproof.
It was just a surprise to find two different sized shingles.

That sounds wrong-- I thought shingles were a standard size. I'd check with
HD and/or the mfr.

PanHandler[_2_] September 19th 08 09:25 PM

Shrinking shingles

wrote in message
When did they shrink 3-tab shingles?

I had an bundle from about 2 years ago that I bought to fix a few blow-
offs. Needed more to re-roof the SW slope before winter, so I went to
Home Depot, got 6 bundles of the same SKU, same color, same brand
shingles.

The new shingles are at least an inch shorter, and 2 inches narrower,
than the old shingles! What a surprise when you get to the middle of
the row and discover the difference.

Evidently this is more of that "ice cream container" marketing. The
bundles I bought two years ago were $25.xx, and the new bundles were
$22.xx. I was expecting to pay at least $30 a bundle given the rise in
cost of petroleum products. Now I know why they were so cheap.

But - the ice cream makers left the price the same, effectively raising the
price per unit, with NO notice to customers. They figured no one would
notice. It's an insult to one's intelligence to pull such a deceitful
trick.-

PanHandler[_2_] September 19th 08 09:28 PM

Shrinking shingles

"PanHandler" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message
[...]

BTW - Breyers did the same thing AGAIN recently, Their half-gallon 'bricks'
are now 1 1/2 quarts, with the price still at the half-gallon level.

terry September 19th 08 10:56 PM

Shrinking shingles

wrote in message
[...]

are now 1 1/2 quarts, with the price still at the half-gallon level.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah and 'one gallon' cans of paint!
An Imperial gallon is about 4.5 litres.
But a US gallon is about 3.8 litres.
That's a difference of almost 20%!.

Robert Allison[_2_] September 21st 08 02:29 PM

Shrinking shingles

wrote:
When did they shrink 3-tab shingles?

I had an bundle from about 2 years ago that I bought to fix a few blow-
offs. Needed more to re-roof the SW slope before winter, so I went to
Home Depot, got 6 bundles of the same SKU, same color, same brand
shingles.

The new shingles are at least an inch shorter, and 2 inches narrower,
than the old shingles! What a surprise when you get to the middle of
the row and discover the difference.

Evidently this is more of that "ice cream container" marketing. The
bundles I bought two years ago were $25.xx, and the new bundles were
$22.xx. I was expecting to pay at least $30 a bundle given the rise in
cost of petroleum products. Now I know why they were so cheap.

I really don't care, they cover the roof and are hopefully waterproof.
It was just a surprise to find two different sized shingles.

You have by now learned that the original shingles were metric and
the newest ones you bought are standard shingles. Been that way for
years.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.