Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old Shower Mixer Valve

I have a vintage 1971 Price-Pfister single handle shower-tub mixer valve
that has decided not to shut off without a lot of handle wiggling. I
took the cover off, and for the life of me can't figure out how it
works. The body is cast bronze, and the only apparent working part is a
little nylon spinner about 1/2" across with a gear on it.

Are valves like this even repairable? I can't see that there is
anything wrong with it. It is sweat-connected to 1/2" copper pipe, so
it would be fairly simple to cut the pipe and solder a new valve into
place. It's installed in a tile wall, but with the trim removed there
is just enough room to reach the plumbing. I just don't want to buy a
new valve if I don't have to.

Any tips on this little piece of archaeology? There is another one just
like it in the other bathroom that is still working, but acting kind of
feeble. That one seems to not turn full on or mix full hot.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 18, 10:33*pm, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
[...]

P-F is very good about warranties. Some of their products have not
been as durable as other brands. Give their customer service a call.
If they send you a new one, they deserve your thanks, If they decline,
buy a Kohler and be done with it. HTH

Joe