Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFL's with a generator

I replaced all my incandescents with CFLs. With the recent power outages
here (Ohio) I bought a generator and was wondering if the CFLs can handle
the fluctuation of the generator.What I mean by the fluctuation is choke not
being set right so you hear the motor speed up and slow down evey half a
second

Posted to alt.home.repair

Typically, that's a governor spring that has lost some of it's bounce. The
fluctuating is called "hunting".

Dunno how the CFL will handle it. Let us know?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"gore" wrote in message
I replaced all my incandescents with CFLs. With the recent power outages
here (Ohio) I bought a generator and was wondering if the CFLs can handle
the fluctuation of the generator.What I mean by the fluctuation is choke not
being set right so you hear the motor speed up and slow down evey half a
second

Posted to alt.home.repair

gore wrote:
I replaced all my incandescents with CFLs. With the recent power outages
here (Ohio) I bought a generator and was wondering if the CFLs can handle
the fluctuation of the generator.What I mean by the fluctuation is choke not
being set right so you hear the motor speed up and slow down evey half a
second

You're in grave danger, the CFL's will
all explode at the same time filling
your home with toxic mercury vapor and
billions of little ozones and polar bears
will die.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, but he can always buy carbon credits from Al Gore, and all will be well.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
gore wrote:

You're in grave danger, the CFL's will
all explode at the same time filling
your home with toxic mercury vapor and
billions of little ozones and polar bears
will die.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

gore wrote:
I replaced all my incandescents with CFLs. With the recent power
outages here (Ohio) I bought a generator and was wondering if the
CFLs can handle the fluctuation of the generator.What I mean by the
fluctuation is choke not being set right so you hear the motor speed
up and slow down evey half a second

I don't think momentary fluctuations will bother a CFL.

If you're worried, either repair the generator, put the lights on a UPS, or
keep a few incandescent bulbs in the pantry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gore" wrote in message
I replaced all my incandescents with CFLs. With the recent power outages
here (Ohio) I bought a generator and was wondering if the CFLs can handle
the fluctuation of the generator.What I mean by the fluctuation is choke
not being set right so you hear the motor speed up and slow down evey half
a second

Difficult to answer without knowing the range of fluctuation. CFLs should
not be affected unless the flutuation is wide. As long as the voltage is
between 100 and 125, I doubt there would be any problem.

I'd be more concerned with devices with induction motors, like a
refrigeration compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 8:51*pm, "gore" wrote:
I replaced all my incandescents with CFLs. With the recent power outages
here (Ohio) I bought a generator and was wondering if the CFLs *can handle
the fluctuation of the generator.What I mean by the fluctuation is choke not
being set right so you hear the motor speed up and slow down evey half a
second

Check voltage, no electronics will survive a defective gen, and thats
what you have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gore" wrote in message
I replaced all my incandescents with CFLs. With the recent power outages
here (Ohio) I bought a generator and was wondering if the CFLs can handle
the fluctuation of the generator.What I mean by the fluctuation is choke
not being set right so you hear the motor speed up and slow down evey half
a second

Every extended outage costs me a bulb or two. Doesn't necessarily happen
while on generator power, but shortly afterward - i.e. next couple weeks.
Casualties are spread pretty evenly between incandescent and CFL.

An honest look at CFL's Bob Home Repair 14 June 25th 08 07:38 AM
CFL's & smoke Ozzie[_2_] Home Repair 16 May 22nd 08 11:20 PM
mercury in cfl's frank.logullo Home Repair 10 April 18th 07 11:36 PM
CFL's and dimming [email protected] Home Ownership 7 January 28th 06 05:00 PM
dimmable cfl's ? Ken Weitzel Electronics Repair 5 May 10th 05 02:40 AM