DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shower hi-hat light install problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/260508-shower-hi-hat-light-install-problem.html)

Mikepier September 16th 08 10:34 AM

Shower hi-hat light install problem

I am updating my bathroom and I would like to put a hi-hat can in my
shower.
The problem is that there is a 2X4 joist running in the middle of
where I want to put the hi-hat in the center. Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...rLightInstall#

If I cut a 6" hole for my hi-hat, I would have to cut the 2X4 also
and I have to try and find a way to brace each side. There is no room
to work in that area or put a drill in.
I was thinking what if I got a couple of 2X4's and used Liquid nails
and put one on either side of where the light has to go. Just rest it
on top of the frame. It would be adhered to the side 2X4's and it
would adhere to the middle 2X4 and it would be sufficient. Any inputs.
Thanks.

RBM[_2_] September 16th 08 12:08 PM

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am updating my bathroom and I would like to put a hi-hat can in my
shower.
The problem is that there is a 2X4 joist running in the middle of
where I want to put the hi-hat in the center. Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...rLightInstall#

If I cut a 6" hole for my hi-hat, I would have to cut the 2X4 also
and I have to try and find a way to brace each side. There is no room
to work in that area or put a drill in.
I was thinking what if I got a couple of 2X4's and used Liquid nails
and put one on either side of where the light has to go. Just rest it
on top of the frame. It would be adhered to the side 2X4's and it
would adhere to the middle 2X4 and it would be sufficient. Any inputs.
Thanks.

It's such a small area, I think you'd be fine even without that center 2x

jim September 16th 08 12:21 PM

On Sep 16, 6:08*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

I am updating my bathroom and I would like to put a hi-hat can in my
shower.
The problem is that there is a 2X4 joist running in the middle of
where I want to put the hi-hat in the center. Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...rLightInstall#

If I cut a 6" hole for my hi-hat, I would have to cut the 2X4 also
and I have to try and find a way to brace each side. There is no room
to work in that area or put a drill in.
I was thinking what if I got a couple of 2X4's and used Liquid nails
and put one on either side of where the light has to go. Just rest it
on top of the frame. It would be adhered to the side 2X4's and it
would adhere to the middle 2X4 and it would be sufficient. Any inputs.
Thanks.

It's such a small area, I think you'd be fine even without that center 2x

Thats what I was thinking but liquid nails or a better construction
adhesive glue them eithr side of the lite this will not take any load
though so why .

John Grabowski September 16th 08 01:33 PM

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am updating my bathroom and I would like to put a hi-hat can in my
shower.
The problem is that there is a 2X4 joist running in the middle of
where I want to put the hi-hat in the center. Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...rLightInstall#

If I cut a 6" hole for my hi-hat, I would have to cut the 2X4 also
and I have to try and find a way to brace each side. There is no room
to work in that area or put a drill in.
I was thinking what if I got a couple of 2X4's and used Liquid nails
and put one on either side of where the light has to go. Just rest it
on top of the frame. It would be adhered to the side 2X4's and it
would adhere to the middle 2X4 and it would be sufficient. Any inputs.
Thanks.

Since you have tile on the ceiling I would be concerned that piece of wood
is carrying some of the weight. If you cut it the ceiling may sag over
time. I don't know if just laying some wood with glue on top would be
sufficient.

Mikepier September 16th 08 01:42 PM

Shower hi-hat light install problem

It's such a small area, I think you'd be fine even without that center 2x

It's a 32"X32" area

Mikepier September 16th 08 06:00 PM

Shower hi-hat light install problem

A guy I work with has a small Makita 90 degree drill that i could
borrow to screw in the wood from the top, so it looks as if the
problem will be solved.
By the way, does this light need to be GFI protected?

RBM[_2_] September 16th 08 11:56 PM

"Mikepier" wrote in message
A guy I work with has a small Makita 90 degree drill that i could
borrow to screw in the wood from the top, so it looks as if the
problem will be solved.
By the way, does this light need to be GFI protected?

If the fixture is subject to shower spray, it must be listed for "wet
locations". There is no requirement to be GFCI protected, unless required by
the fixture manufacturer.
Personally, I'd use GFCI protection regardless

Mikepier September 17th 08 12:02 AM

Shower hi-hat light install problem

Personally, I'd use GFCI protection regardless

I agree, I'll protect it with GFI anyway.

Joe September 17th 08 03:19 AM

On Sep 16, 4:34*am, Mikepier wrote:
I am updating my bathroom and I would like to put a hi-hat can in my
shower.
The problem is that there is a 2X4 joist running in the middle of
where I want to put the hi-hat in the center. Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...rLightInstall#

*If I cut a 6" hole for my hi-hat, I would have to cut the 2X4 also
and I have to try and find a way to brace each side. There is no room
to work in that area or put a drill in.
*I was thinking what if I got a couple of 2X4's and used Liquid nails
and put one on either side of where the light has to go. Just rest it
on top of the frame. It would be adhered to the side 2X4's and it
would adhere to the middle 2X4 and it would be sufficient. Any inputs.
Thanks.

Before you decide where to mount the lamp, check with the female
shower users. They prefer (insist on) lighting appropriately placed so
they can see to shave their body parts (DOWN, Boy!). Once the perfect
location is chosen, you may find that the 2 x 4 is not even a problem.
If that turns out not to be true, then the reinforcement scheme with
adhesive is a good idea. I'm dubious about most adhesives in a shower
environment, so a slow cure 2 part epoxy seems like the best choice
applied liberally over well fitted new 2 x 4's situated to be most
reinforcing. HTH

Joe

BobK207 September 17th 08 06:44 AM

On Sep 16, 2:34*am, Mikepier wrote:
I am updating my bathroom and I would like to put a hi-hat can in my
shower.
The problem is that there is a 2X4 joist running in the middle of
where I want to put the hi-hat in the center. Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...rLightInstall#

*If I cut a 6" hole for my hi-hat, I would have to cut the 2X4 also
and I have to try and find a way to brace each side. There is no room
to work in that area or put a drill in.
*I was thinking what if I got a couple of 2X4's and used Liquid nails
and put one on either side of where the light has to go. Just rest it
on top of the frame. It would be adhered to the side 2X4's and it
would adhere to the middle 2X4 and it would be sufficient. Any inputs.
Thanks.

After taking a look at the photos....I'm thinking that the "joist" is
really just "blocking" for the ceiling drywall (or wonder board).

I would loath to cut it without replacing its capacity....the ceiling
tile joint might crack.

I would slightly jack the ceiling with a strut & then epoxy in 2 well
fitted 2x4's on either side of the "joist" to be cut. I recommend
SIKA Sikadur Anchorfix #3.....a slow set, 2 part epoxy in a standard
sized caulk tube.

Leave the strut in place until the epxoy cures ~ a couple hours / over
night.

cheers
Bob

Epoxy is way stiffer than