Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extending Reach of Expanding Foam

I need to fill a hard to get cavity with the expanding foam insulation (e.g.
Dow Great Stuff). However, the spray tips aren't nearly long enough.
They're about 8", I need 24".

I know I can buy the tanks of foam, but this is a very small job.

Anyone tried extending the tips? I tried telescoping them together, along
with some Gorilla glue, but it blew out immediately.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I have duct taped a soda straw to the end of the tube to extend it about 5
to 6 inches and it worked. Possibly a piece of vinyl tube (without joints)
would work, don't make the diameter too small or the foam may not make it to
the end.

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I need to fill a hard to get cavity with the expanding foam insulation
(e.g. Dow Great Stuff). However, the spray tips aren't nearly long
enough. They're about 8", I need 24".

I know I can buy the tanks of foam, but this is a very small job.

Anyone tried extending the tips? I tried telescoping them together,
along with some Gorilla glue, but it blew out immediately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 7:19*pm, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
I need to fill a hard to get cavity with the expanding foam insulation (e..g.
Dow Great Stuff). *However, the spray *tips aren't nearly long enough..
They're about 8", I need 24".

I know I can buy the tanks of foam, but this is a very small job.

Anyone tried extending the tips? *I tried telescoping them *together, along
with some Gorilla glue, but it blew out immediately.

Any hardware store sells same diameter plastic hose, but same size and
longer the foam will stop, get a size that just slides over the
original hose, Heating the can in hot water helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote in
:

.
They're about 8", I need 24".

I know I can buy the tanks of foam, but this is a very small job.

Anyone tried extending the tips? *I tried telescoping them *together,

along
with some Gorilla glue, but it blew out immediately.

Any hardware store sells same diameter plastic hose, but same size and
longer the foam will stop, get a size that just slides over the
original hose, Heating the can in hot water helps.

Hot oven might be more amusing though.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Sep 14, 9:06*pm, ransley wrote:
On Sep 14, 7:19*pm, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:

I need to fill a hard to get cavity with the expanding foam insulation (e.g.
Dow Great Stuff). *However, the spray *tips aren't nearly long enough.
They're about 8", I need 24".

I know I can buy the tanks of foam, but this is a very small job.

Anyone tried extending the tips? *I tried telescoping them *together, along
with some Gorilla glue, but it blew out immediately.

Any hardware store sells same diameter plastic hose, but same size and
longer the foam will stop, get a size that just slides over the
original hose, Heating the can in hot water helps.

i tried to extend the nozzle with different diameters of clear tubing
from homedep to get to the bottom of a 4 foot cavity, but it just
congealed in the tubing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 2:23*am, z wrote:
On Sep 14, 9:06*pm, ransley wrote:

On Sep 14, 7:19*pm, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:

I need to fill a hard to get cavity with the expanding foam insulation (e.g.
Dow Great Stuff). *However, the spray *tips aren't nearly long enough.
They're about 8", I need 24".

I know I can buy the tanks of foam, but this is a very small job.

Anyone tried extending the tips? *I tried telescoping them *together, along
with some Gorilla glue, but it blew out immediately.

Any hardware store sells same diameter plastic hose, but same size and
longer the foam will stop, get a size that just slides over the
original hose, Heating the can in hot water helps.

i tried to extend the nozzle with different diameters of clear tubing
from homedep to get to the bottom of a 4 foot cavity, but it just
congealed in the tubing.

Right. There's not enough pressure in the can to overcome all of that
stick-tion in the tubing. You can go a little longer, not a lot
longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I need to fill a hard to get cavity with the expanding foam
insulation (e.g. Dow Great Stuff). However, the spray tips aren't
nearly long enough. They're about 8", I need 24".

I know I can buy the tanks of foam, but this is a very small job.

Anyone tried extending the tips? I tried telescoping them together,
along with some Gorilla glue, but it blew out immediately.

If you can get the can all the way down the hole, you can shoot it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Insert can, and then detonate the can with a .357 magnum? I can just imagine
explaining that during a traffic stop. No, officer, that's not a weapon.
It's a Great Stuff expanding facilitator.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Buck Turgidson wrote:
I need to fill a hard to get cavity with the expanding foam
insulation (e.g. Dow Great Stuff). However, the spray tips aren't
nearly long enough. They're about 8", I need 24".

I know I can buy the tanks of foam, but this is a very small job.

Anyone tried extending the tips? I tried telescoping them together,
along with some Gorilla glue, but it blew out immediately.

If you can get the can all the way down the hole, you can shoot it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Insert can, and then detonate the can with a .357 magnum? I can just
imagine explaining that during a traffic stop. No, officer, that's
not a weapon. It's a Great Stuff expanding facilitator.

Silly person! A .357 is like using a sledge on a picture hanger! No, I was
thinking more of .38 or 9mm. Heck, you could even jerry-rig a nail gun to do
the deed!

Oh, and in Texas, you don't have to explain diddly to the officer. Carrying
a pistol (or any firearm) in your car is not only permitted, but
meritorious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, and in Texas, you don't have to explain diddly to the officer. Carrying
a pistol (or any firearm) in your car is not only permitted, but
meritorious.

Not true. You are leaving a few facts out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Oh, and in Texas, you don't have to explain diddly to the officer.
Carrying a pistol (or any firearm) in your car is not only
permitted, but meritorious.

Not true. You are leaving a few facts out.

You're right. In the interests of brevity, I omitted some qualifications.
The actual law is:

Penal Code 46.02 (Effective Sept 1, 2007). UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a)
A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or
recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife,
or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control;
or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by
the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly,
or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor
vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any
time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that
is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

Decoding this typical legislature-speak goes as follows:

It is NOT an offense to carry a handgun if you a a) Inside your car, AND
b) The weapon is not visible, AND c) you are not a criminal, AND d) you are
not prohibited from owning a gun, AND e) you are not a member of a gang. If
any of the following is true, you have committed an offense:
1. You're not in the car
2. The weapon is in plain sight.
3. You are a criminal.
4. You are prohibited from owning a gun.
5. You are a member of a gang.

Note that the crate of anvils we call our legislature says you must be
"inside of or directly en route to a vehicle..." Plain reading says you can
take a gun TO your car, but you're vulnerable to arrest if you take the gun
FROM your car.

Go figure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had one of those moments, a while back. I was at a gun show, and there
were a couple thousand people. They paged over the loud speaker. They needed
someone with a truck and jumper cables to help someone out. I was thinking
that they would start a stampede of gunnies, going to help.

Yeah, a .38 with LRN would do the job, not even +P rounds. Thanks for the
reminder. You're right.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Insert can, and then detonate the can with a .357 magnum? I can just
imagine explaining that during a traffic stop. No, officer, that's
not a weapon. It's a Great Stuff expanding facilitator.

Silly person! A .357 is like using a sledge on a picture hanger! No, I was
thinking more of .38 or 9mm. Heck, you could even jerry-rig a nail gun to do
the deed!

Oh, and in Texas, you don't have to explain diddly to the officer. Carrying
a pistol (or any firearm) in your car is not only permitted, but
meritorious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please insert facts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Oh, and in Texas, you don't have to explain diddly to the officer. Carrying
a pistol (or any firearm) in your car is not only permitted, but
meritorious.

Not true. You are leaving a few facts out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You decoded wrong. You still must have a CCW to carry a handgun in a
car. http://www.texas-on-line.com/gun.html

" Vehicle carry and transportation: unlicensed individuals and
non-residents may not carry handguns on or about their persons while
in a vehicle loaded rifles and shotguns may be carried in plain view
or in a case "

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please insert facts.

Oh, and in Texas, you don't have to explain diddly to the officer.
Carrying a pistol (or any firearm) in your car is not only
permitted, but meritorious.

Not true. You are leaving a few facts out.

Is true. There are exceptions, true, but they don't apply to me or anyone I
ever knew (You must: 1. Not be involved in a crime, 2. Be eligible to own a
gun, 3. Not be a member of a gang). And, if a pistol, the weapon has to be
concealed.

No permit, license, registration, or permission is required. The gun can be
loaded or unloaded, locked up or readily accessible. The gun you carry in
your vehicle can be anything from a .22 caliber pot-metal, piece of junk to
a quad-fifty anti-aircraft gun.

Regrettably, you can't carry mines or flame-throwers.

Maybe next year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That information is incorrect, the web site to which you refer is evidently
a year or more out of date.

Admittedly, it's tough to keep up.

In 1876, the law was that "no one shall carry on or about their person,
purse, portfolio, or saddlebag, a pistol, dirk, dagger...The preceeding
article shall not apply to ... persons traveling."

Much confusion ensued over the intervening years over who was a "traveler."
The legislature tried to remedy this in 2005, but they were drunk. They
enshrined the notion that someone in a vehicle was "presumed" to be a
traveler. Very many district attorneys didn't go along with this and
continued to prosecute righteous folk anyway (because "presumption" is
rebuttable at trial).

So, in 2007, the legislature took the cure and declared flat out that
carrying a weapon in a vehicle was the right thing to do - It's in the Book!

----

"The law allows Texans to carry guns in their cars, even without a concealed
handgun license. As long you meet the law's other requirements - such as not
being a gang member, refraining from criminal acts and keeping the gun out
of sight - you can pack heat in your glove box."

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2008/0...-concerns.html

----

"...this year the Texas Legislature set in stone the rights of legal gun
owners to carry a weapon in their vehicle without violating the law. "

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...-gun-laws.html

----

"Texas also signed HB1815, a bill that allows any Texas resident (21 or
older) to carry a concealed handgun without a permit in the resident's car.
Now, it isn't an offense to carry a gun in a vehicle, but with these three
critical qualifiers: (1) the gun must be concealed; (2) the carrier cannot
be involved in criminal activities; (3) the carrier cannot be a member of a
criminal gang."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...y_state)#Texas

----

"Otherwise, if the weapon is concealed on your person or somewhere in the
vehicle out of plain sight, and none of the other restrictions apply to you,
as soon as HB 1815 takes effect on September 1, 2007 it will be legal to
carry a handgun in your car."

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007...-travel-texas/

----

"Under the new law, law abiding citizens do not need a permit to carry a
concealed weapon in their vehicle."

http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=6990145

----

"A law clarifying carrying handguns in your car takes effect today.
Bizarrely enough, the law was championed by both the National Rifle
Association and the American Civil Liberties Union.

"Basically, a person may now carry a handgun in his vehicle without a
concealed handgun license. Furthermore, the person does not have to be
"traveling" like under previous Texas law."

http://www.texasdefenselaw.com/recent_news/

----

"HB 1815 was actually passed to clarify some issues left dangling by a
similarly-enacted law in 2005, according to Wendy Hopper, Texas Senator
Craig Estes' executive assistant. Now, it simply isn't an offense to carry a
gun in a vehicle, but with these three critical qualifiers: (1) the gun must
be concealed; (2) the carrier cannot be involved in criminal activities; (3)
the carrier cannot be a member of a criminal gang. The fourth rule isn't
mentioned in the bill, but stands from laws on the books for a long time,
and that is that no felon can carry or even be around a gun. "

http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal/...state-laws.php

----

And more.

(About 242,000 at
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...un+law+vehicle
)

expanding foam HELP Peter UK diy 11 June 24th 07 09:14 PM
Expanding Foam The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 September 19th 06 01:30 AM
Expanding Foam VisionSet UK diy 3 September 6th 06 10:16 PM
Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 11:21 PM
MDPE & Expanding Foam Rick Hughes UK diy 5 October 24th 03 01:30 AM