Posted to alt.home.repair

Default heat pump and copper tubes to air handler

About a month ago we had problem with one of our heat pumps. It was
blowing hot air. They replaced the thermostat (it was calling for
emergency heat when it shouldn't), the compressor motor and a
capacitor. Now it is not working correctly again. It doesn't seem to
be blowing hot air, but it isn't cool. Sometimes the compressor is
running but the fan on it is not running. On the air handler there
are two copper tubes. Sometimes the larger one is cool (and wet),
other times it is room temperature. The smaller copper tube is hot.
Does this mean it is calling for emergency heat again? Or what could
be the problem?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:08:13 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

About a month ago we had problem with one of our heat pumps.

PS. I left it off for a few minutes then turned it back on and now
the compressor fan is blowing, it is blowing out warm air, it is
blowing out cool air inside, the larger copper tube is cold and wet,
and the small copper tube is at room temp or perhaps a little warm.
(The small tube was pretty hot before.)
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:13:03 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

PS. I left it off for a few minutes then turned it back on and now

Now the little tube is hot again, almost too hot to touch. I switched
it off. What does the small tube being hot indicate?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

The "small tube" (liquid line) being hot would most likely indicate that
the condenser fan motor shut off and the compressor stayed running. It
could be a praoblem with the motor itself, or a problem in the defrost
controls. What is the brand and model nuber of the unit? Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:08:05 -0700, "Zyp" wrote:

I'm thinking you're not getting good service with this company. If they've
replaced the wall thermostat, the compressor, the run capacitor, the outdoor
fan motor, and you're still having issues - there's something rotten in your
town and it's not the fruit.

They didn't replace the compressor. The thermostat seems to have gone
bad after an electrical storm and was telling the heat strips to come
on when they shouldn't. But otherwise I think you are right.

After I leave it off for a while, it will work for a while, but then
the compressor fan stops turning again.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:08:05 -0700, "Zyp" wrote:

I'm thinking you're not getting good service with this company.

At present I have a $510 bill from them for the other work. If I call
someone else, I'm going to owe that $510 plus the bill from the other
company.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About a month ago we had problem with one of our heat pumps.

The compressor ran continuously today until I shut it off about an
hour ago. Sometimes the fan was running, sometimes it was not.
Meantime the temp went from 81 to 84.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Please shut the unit down. Compressor NEEDS the big fan to remove the heat,
you are at risk of compressor overheat and failure. Expensive.

Call around, find a HVAC technician who knows heat pumps.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:12:32 -0500, (lp13-30) wrote:

The "small tube" (liquid line) being hot would most likely indicate that
the condenser fan motor shut off and the compressor stayed running.

That is happening. The compressor is running, but the fan isn't
blowing. I can feel warm air coming out of the compressor, but the
fan isn't blowing it out.

could be a problem with the motor itself, or a problem in the defrost
controls. What is the brand and model nuber of the unit?

The motor was replaced last month. However, the new motor made a lot
more noise than the old one. It is a Rheem RPKA-031, about 7 years
old.

Thanks!
--
Replace you know what by j to email