Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crown Molding Question

Here's one for the interior designers. Our house has polyurethaned
pine wood trim and base board. We have white ceilings and colored
walls. Can we have white crown molding on the ceiling and keep a
varnished pine wood base board trim?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken Kose wrote:

Here's one for the interior designers. Our house has polyurethaned
pine wood trim and base board. We have white ceilings and colored
walls. Can we have white crown molding on the ceiling and keep a
varnished pine wood base board trim?

Might make the pine stick out like a sore thumb. Is the pine "something
special", being
you don't want it the same color?. Painting trim a strong contrast to
walls makes the the trim stand
out more......looks good if the doors and windows are even and balanced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 04:53:00 -0700 (PDT), Ken Kose
wrote:

Here's one for the interior designers. Our house has polyurethaned
pine wood trim and base board. We have white ceilings and colored
walls. Can we have white crown molding on the ceiling and keep a
varnished pine wood base board trim?

You can do whatever you want, but I think the same finish for all trim
looks best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken Kose wrote:
Here's one for the interior designers. Our house has polyurethaned
pine wood trim and base board. We have white ceilings and colored
walls. Can we have white crown molding on the ceiling and keep a
varnished pine wood base board trim?

Why not just do pine wood crown molding also??

Posted to alt.home.repair

The dude wrote:

Ken Kose wrote:
Here's one for the interior designers. Our house has polyurethaned
pine wood trim and base board. We have white ceilings and colored
walls. Can we have white crown molding on the ceiling and keep a
varnished pine wood base board trim?

Why not just do pine wood crown molding also??

The first reason that comes to my mind is cost. Paint-grade molding is
cheaper than finish-grade.

Suggestion: Go buy eight-foot pieces of primed and finish-grade molding
similar to what you want. Tack them up temporarily in a visible place,
then stand back and look at them for a few days. When you decide which
you like better, go back and buy enough for the room. You can even
return the samples if you didn't damage them.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The dude" wrote in message
. ..
Ken Kose wrote:
Here's one for the interior designers. Our house has polyurethaned
pine wood trim and base board. We have white ceilings and colored
walls. Can we have white crown molding on the ceiling and keep a
varnished pine wood base board trim?

Why not just do pine wood crown molding also??

Maybe because you can't use chaulking or putty to hide bad cuts, gaps,ect.
if he keeps it clear...especially if things aren't straight and square as in
an older house????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2008 4:53 AM Ken Kose spake thus:

Here's one for the interior designers. Our house has polyurethaned
pine wood trim and base board. We have white ceilings and colored
walls. Can we have white crown molding on the ceiling and keep a
varnished pine wood base board trim?

The answer, of course, is that you can have whatever you want: after
all, it's your house.

Here's something to consider: use picture mold instead of crown mold,
which is what was used in most rooms in yesteryear. Depending on the
size of the room, this would be a better proportion (plus you could
actually use it to hang pictures, which after all was its original
function).

Available at most better lumber suppliers.

- Paulo Freire