Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat - Possible to Adjust

We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air
conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat.
The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees
Fahrenheit.
I have some basic skills but not *really* handy.
Is there some adjustment that is necessary to the thermostat that I
would probably be able to perform?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

allanc wrote:
We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air
conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat.
The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees
Fahrenheit.
I have some basic skills but not *really* handy.
Is there some adjustment that is necessary to the thermostat that I
would probably be able to perform?

Thanks in advance.

Manual thermostats can often be 'tweaked' by rotating the
entire thermostat a slight amount (a few degrees). If electronic,
Go to this site and see if you can locate a 'Owners Manual' ?

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...ech_thermo.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Leroy wrote:
allanc wrote:
We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air
conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat.
The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees
Fahrenheit.
I have some basic skills but not *really* handy.
Is there some adjustment that is necessary to the thermostat that I
would probably be able to perform?

Thanks in advance.

Manual thermostats can often be 'tweaked' by rotating the
entire thermostat a slight amount (a few degrees). If electronic,
Go to this site and see if you can locate a 'Owners Manual' ?

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...ech_thermo.htm

Even better, go to this link, click on your Tstat and get operating
instructions:

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/.../thermo_14.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

allanc wrote:
It's a mechanical type.
I will take the cover off tomorrow in the daylight and try to get the
model number.
The unit is probably decades old.
Do you think the manual would actually have troubleshooting tips such
as when the temperature is off by 8 degrees?

If no LCD readout and buttons, it's mechanical. When you remove the
cover, check how the base is screwed to the wall. Likely a screw
at the top and a screw at the bottom and the screw at the bottom
may go thru an 'oblong' hole rather than round. If so, loosen the
top and bottom screws slightly and rotate the base slightly in one
direction. If that improves the accuracy, good. If it makes it worse,
rotate the base in the opposite direction. Does that improve
accuracy?

What this is all about is that mech Tstats are supposed to be
installed perfectly level and if not, accuracy can be off for some
mechanical Tstats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

allanc wrote:
On Sep 11, 10:41 pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"allanc" wrote in message

It's a mechanical type.
I will take the cover off tomorrow in the daylight and try to get the
model number.
The unit is probably decades old.
Do you think the manual would actually have troubleshooting tips such
as when the temperature is off by 8 degrees?

Mechanical thermostat? Don't bother fixing it. Get a programmable
electronic one & save big money.

Someone once told me that in his opinion, there was a point of
negative return.
For example, in the winter, if you turn down the temperature *too* low
at night, the cost of warming the house to the daytime temperature
would exceed the savings that you obtained at night.

Comments?

Hi,
That is not so. All the testing done shows 5 to 15% energy savings.
Many digital 'stats have some intelligence. It does not work in linear mode.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Most electronic ones keep the house temperature much more stable than an old
mechanical one so even if you don't want to program it it is worth
switching.

Follow the instructions when changing it out. Specifically mark the wires
with labels indicating what they were attached to on the old thermostat so
you can hook them up to the new one.

"allanc" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 10:41 pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"allanc" wrote in message

It's a mechanical type.
I will take the cover off tomorrow in the daylight and try to get the
model number.
The unit is probably decades old.
Do you think the manual would actually have troubleshooting tips such
as when the temperature is off by 8 degrees?

Mechanical thermostat? Don't bother fixing it. Get a programmable
electronic one & save big money.

Someone once told me that in his opinion, there was a point of
negative return.
For example, in the winter, if you turn down the temperature *too* low
at night, the cost of warming the house to the daytime temperature
would exceed the savings that you obtained at night.

Comments?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"allanc" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 10:41 pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"allanc" wrote in message

It's a mechanical type.
I will take the cover off tomorrow in the daylight and try to get the
model number.
The unit is probably decades old.
Do you think the manual would actually have troubleshooting tips such
as when the temperature is off by 8 degrees?

Mechanical thermostat? Don't bother fixing it. Get a programmable
electronic one & save big money.

Someone once told me that in his opinion, there was a point of
negative return.
For example, in the winter, if you turn down the temperature *too* low
at night, the cost of warming the house to the daytime temperature
would exceed the savings that you obtained at night.

Comments?

Hi,
Just to be sure turn the power off to the furnace when working on 'ststs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

While you've got the thing out, check and make sure there's insulation
in the wall behind the stat. If there isn't, stuff some in the hole
where the wire comes out.

On Sep 11, 9:05*pm, allanc wrote:
We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air
conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat.
The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees
Fahrenheit.
I have some basic skills but not *really* handy.
Is there some adjustment that is necessary to the thermostat that I
would probably be able to perform?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 11:02�pm, allanc wrote:
On Sep 11, 10:41�pm, "Bob M." wrote:

"allanc" wrote in message

It's a mechanical type.
I will take the cover off tomorrow in the daylight and try to get the
model number.
The unit is probably decades old.
Do you think the manual would actually have troubleshooting tips such
as when the temperature is off by 8 degrees?

Mechanical thermostat? �Don't bother fixing it. Get a programmable
electronic one & save big money.

Someone once told me that in his opinion, there was a point of
negative return.
For example, in the winter, if you turn down the temperature *too* low
at night, the cost of warming the house to the daytime temperature
would exceed the savings that you obtained at night.

Comments?

WRONG!

Its always better to turn heat down, sincve the builkdings lower temp
loses heat slower.

before i was married the home lived most of its time at 50 degrees to
save gas since i was rarely home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Someone once told me that in his opinion, there was a point of
negative return.
For example, in the winter, if you turn down the temperature *too* low
at night, the cost of warming the house to the daytime temperature
would exceed the savings that you obtained at night.

Comments?

WRONG!

Its always better to turn heat down, since the building's lower temp
loses heat slower.

before i was married the home lived most of its time at 50 degrees to
save gas since i was rarely home.- Hide quoted text -

Agree: Not sure where that theory or perhaps 'myth' comes from? That
is the idea that because house has been cooler for the past eight to
ten hours over night it somehow takes MORE heat to bring it back up to
your day time temperature!

There are a lot of variables of courses but while people seem to
accept that if they go away for several weeks (in say the winter) and
turn down the thermostat real low the furnace will use less oil/gas
while they are away. Sure enough the house will be really cool, even
chilly when they return and turn up to the 'normal' setting but once
it has warmed back up, once, they will be back to their normal daily
heating cycle and consumption will be based on outside temperatures,
wind heat loss and how well the structure is insulated.

In fact it could be argued that the furnace operating in the morning
to bring house back up to day temp. will be operating more efficiently
that in a constant cutting in and out mode?

Maybe the thought is based on the old fashioned idea of allowing the
stove to be damped down, or even allowed to go out during the night
and then getting up in the morning, stoking it and opening up the
draft to get a 'roaring' fire to heat the house up again?
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"allanc" wrote in message
We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air
conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat.
The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees
Fahrenheit.
I have some basic skills but not *really* handy.
Is there some adjustment that is necessary to the thermostat that I
would probably be able to perform?

Thanks in advance.

I have a White Rogers and there is an adjustment that allows you to
compensate for a difference between the display and the set temperature
readouts. I believe that the max adjustment is about 3 or 4 degrees. Have
you used an accurate thermometer to determine the actual temperature at the
thermostat location? New batteries?
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 9:40*am, "MLD" wrote:
"allanc" wrote in message

... We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air
conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat.
The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees
Fahrenheit.
I have some basic skills but not *really* handy.
Is there some adjustment that is necessary to the thermostat that I
would probably be able to perform?

Thanks in advance.

I have a White Rogers and there is an adjustment that allows you to
compensate for a difference between the display and the set temperature
readouts. *I believe that the max adjustment is about 3 or 4 degrees. *Have
you used an accurate thermometer to determine the actual temperature at the
thermostat location? *New batteries?
MLD

To be honest, I never knew that mechanical thermostats could have
batteries.
As I said in original post, we recently moved into this post.
One day last week, the stat read about 72 degrees and I was *really*
uncomfortable.
I placed two digit thermomoters (separately) on top of the stat and
they each displayed about 80-81 degress.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 11:14*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
allanc wrote:
On Sep 11, 10:41 pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"allanc" wrote in message

It's a mechanical type.
I will take the cover off tomorrow in the daylight and try to get the
model number.
The unit is probably decades old.
Do you think the manual would actually have troubleshooting tips such
as when the temperature is off by 8 degrees?
Mechanical thermostat? *Don't bother fixing it. Get a programmable
electronic one & save big money.

Someone once told me that in his opinion, there was a point of
negative return.
For example, in the winter, if you turn down the temperature *too* low
at night, the cost of warming the house to the daytime temperature
would exceed the savings that you obtained at night.

Comments?

Hi,
That is not so. All the testing done shows 5 to 15% energy savings.
Many digital 'stats have some intelligence. It does not work in linear mode.- Hide quoted text -

It is the opinion of one of my brother-in-laws.

If we take an 'extreme' example of comparing during a cold winter:
1. allowing house to cool from 70 (F) to 68 (F) overnight (11 pm to 7
am) and then returning to 70 (F) during the day.
versus
2. allowing house to cool from 70 (F) to 50 (F) overnight (11 pm to 7
am) and then returning to 70 (F) during the day.

Will the actual cost of energy be less with #2?
Wear and tear on the furnace,etc would be a separate issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I remember my parents house was oil heated and had a round
thermostat.
I think that it allowed a 2-3 variance.
But, that may have been part of the design of the thermostat.

"allanc" wrote in message

On Sep 11, 10:41 pm, "Bob M." wrote:

"allanc" wrote in message

It's a mechanical type.
I will take the cover off tomorrow in the daylight and try to get the
model number.
The unit is probably decades old.
Do you think the manual would actually have troubleshooting tips such
as when the temperature is off by 8 degrees?

Mechanical thermostat? Don't bother fixing it. Get a programmable
electronic one & save big money.

Someone once told me that in his opinion, there was a point of
negative return.
For example, in the winter, if you turn down the temperature *too* low
at night, the cost of warming the house to the daytime temperature
would exceed the savings that you obtained at night.

Comments?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Compared reading to two digial thermometers.
See other posts.

"allanc" wrote in message

We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air
conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat.
The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees
Fahrenheit.
I have some basic skills but not *really* handy.
Is there some adjustment that is necessary to the thermostat that I
would probably be able to perform?

Thanks in advance.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 10:41 pm, "Bob M." wrote:

[...]

Just curious....
How long did it take to heat from 50 to something comfortable?
Posted to alt.home.repair

yes,

"allanc" wrote in message

Will the actual cost of energy be less with #2?
Wear and tear on the furnace,etc would be a separate issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

An old mercury thermostat had to be set to allow a little temperature
drift to prevent short cycling. An electronic thermostat can be
programmed with a timer as well to prevent short cycling, so it can keep
tighter temperature control (that is, if it is in "cool" mode, and the
temperature rises quickly after the A/C shuts off, a mercury stat will
wait until the temp. rises 3 degrees or so to kick back on. The
electronic will kick on as soon as the temp rises past its threshold -
probably less than a degree - but will not actually turn the A/C on if
not enough time has elapsed since the A/C shut off. It'll wait 2-3
minutes to let the compressor unload and then let it start.

nate

"allanc" wrote in message

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 10:41 pm, "Bob M." wrote:

"allanc" wrote in message

[...]

How long did it take to heat from 50 to something comfortable?- Hide quoted text -

about 20 minutes, till it was comfy. a little longer till 70 degrees.

saved a lot of gas and $$$

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 9:54*pm, "Leroy" wrote:
Leroy wrote:
allanc wrote:
We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air
conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat.
The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees
Fahrenheit.
I have some basic skills but not *really* handy.
Is there some adjustment that is necessary to the thermostat that I
would probably be able to perform?

Thanks in advance.

Manual thermostats can often be 'tweaked' by rotating the
entire thermostat a slight amount (a few degrees). If electronic,
Go to this site and see if you can locate a 'Owners Manual' ?

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...ech_thermo.htm

Even better, go to this link, click on your Tstat and get operating
instructions:

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...thermo_14.htm- Hide quoted text -

The model # is 1E56W309 and I could not find a manual at White-Rogers
site or anywhere else.
On the inside of the cover their is a plastic screw that seems to be
attached to the thermometer.
Is that for adjusting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

allanc wrote:
On Sep 11, 9:54 pm, "Leroy" wrote:
Leroy wrote:
allanc wrote:
[...]

The manual is listed he
http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/pdfs/instruction_sheets/0037-5327.pdf

MikeB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 10:32*am, bq340 wrote:
allanc wrote:

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/...mo_14.htm-Hide quoted text -

The model # is 1E56W309 and I could not find a manual at White-Rogers
site or anywhere else.
On the inside of the cover their is a plastic screw that seems to be
attached to the thermometer.
Is that for adjusting?

The manual is listed he
http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/pdfs/instruction_sheets/0037-5327...

MikeB- Hide quoted text -

I am getting 'Page Cannot be Displayed' in Internet Explorer.
Would it be possible for you to attach it to a post here?
Thank you so much in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"allanc" wrote in message

On Sep 14, 10:32 am, bq340 wrote:

allanc wrote:
On Sep 11, 9:54 pm, "Leroy" wrote:
Leroy wrote:
allanc wrote:
[...]

Thank you so much in advance.- Hide quoted text -

I did try searching... honestly.

Your search for 1E56W309 did not return a result. Please re-enter your
Model Number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"allanc" wrote in message

On Sep 14, 10:32 am, bq340 wrote:

allanc wrote:
On Sep 11, 9:54 pm, "Leroy" wrote:
Leroy wrote:
allanc wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, Try to Google this exact phrase:

1E56W 309 manual

then click on the first match & look for 1E56W-309 on that page

MikeB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"allanc" wrote in message

On Sep 14, 10:32 am, bq340 wrote:

allanc wrote:
On Sep 11, 9:54 pm, "Leroy" wrote:
Leroy wrote:
allanc wrote:
[...]

Got it!
Thanks.

Before I got the manual, I adjusted the screw on the back of the
thermometer to align the current temp with a digital thermometer.
I then set the required temp to about 72 degrees (f).
The a/c is cutting out at about 80-81.
The a/c is still cutting out

So, do I need to adjust my trunnions? VeryLargeCorp Woodworking 14 April 26th 07 10:36 PM
Adjust gas valve m Ransley Home Repair 0 February 6th 07 09:14 PM
Window Hinges - how to adjust Frank Stacey UK diy 1 July 30th 04 11:54 AM
How to adjust a patio door ? jim Home Repair 1 February 7th 04 03:26 AM
How to adjust convergence on this big screen TV Bentech Electronics Repair 1 November 22nd 03 12:44 PM