Posted to alt.home.repair

Default paint question

I recently purchased 5 gallons (in 5 separate cans) of Behr latex paint from
Home Depot. Looking back, I probably should have purchased a single 5
gallon container, but I initially felt that I would only need 3-4 gallons,
so I had to return to the store for more.

The paint was mixed at the store and all labels on the cans were the same as
far as mixtures.

However, in at least two of the cans the paint shade was somewhat different
after it was applied to the (inside) walls, resulting in a partial repaint.

Is this common when purchasing separate cans, even though the mixture should
have been the same?

I stirred each can thoroughly before application.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

trailer wrote:
However, in at least two of the cans the paint shade was somewhat different
after it was applied to the (inside) walls, resulting in a partial repaint.

Is this common when purchasing separate cans, even though the mixture should
have been the same?

Yep...despite those who seem to have absolute faith in the mixing
machines, there's still minor variability.

Lesson learned -- mix separate cans before applying as well as stirring
to eliminate the possible problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trailer" wrote in
:

I recently purchased 5 gallons (in 5 separate cans) of Behr latex
paint from Home Depot. Looking back, I probably should have purchased
a single 5 gallon container, but I initially felt that I would only
need 3-4 gallons, so I had to return to the store for more.

The paint was mixed at the store and all labels on the cans were the
same as far as mixtures.

However, in at least two of the cans the paint shade was somewhat
different after it was applied to the (inside) walls, resulting in a
partial repaint.

Is this common when purchasing separate cans, even though the mixture
should have been the same?

I stirred each can thoroughly before application.

Thanks.

Yep, ideally get it mixed in 5 gal bucket but you've explained that. Been
there myself.

I suppose you realized as you ran low you needed more. In this case
ideally:

End a room with what you have before changing gallons supply.
Take what's left over from previous room/area and mix in 5 gal
container with new supply.
Don't change supply within a room but if "forced", change at a
new wall.
Never change supply in the middle of a wall but if "forced",
gradually sift in more new supply to the old as you move
along the wall.

IMHO, color differences should not really be noticable between rooms
where painted walls are separated by trim. Either the mix is bad or it's
just the light differences between the areas and at different time of the
day/night.

Red...
(not a pro, just a professional wanna-be)

Paint Question Dottie Home Repair 1 May 17th 08 01:51 PM
Decorating question: to paint or not to paint hardware [email protected] Home Repair 7 June 15th 06 04:52 PM
Paint question Steve B Woodworking 5 June 2nd 06 04:00 AM
Paint question Liz Home Repair 12 July 27th 05 12:57 AM
Paint Question? John Kerkes Home Repair 5 April 10th 05 05:08 PM