Posted to alt.home.repair

Default September 11

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

--

I was home working (self-employed) and my furnace was having its annual
cleaning. The guy got a phone call from his son, who lives in NYC, so he

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 11, 3:20*pm, "h" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

--

I was home working (self-employed) and my furnace was having its annual
cleaning. The guy got a phone call from his son, who lives in NYC, so he
came upstairs and we turned on the TV. We saw the second plane hit, live. It
was unbelievable.

I was on a comercial jet. We were ordered to land. No idea what was
happening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:21:15 -0700 (PDT), jim
wrote:

On Sep 11, 3:20*pm, "h" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

--

I was home working (self-employed) and my furnace was having its annual
cleaning. The guy got a phone call from his son, who lives in NYC, so he
came upstairs and we turned on the TV. We saw the second plane hit, live. It
was unbelievable.

I was on a comercial jet. We were ordered to land. No idea what was
happening.

I was home asleep. Got a call from work saying we were "under attack"
and to turn on the news. The Air Force base I worked on was going to
Defcon 1 (?). Machine gun nest and barricades were set up all around
the base. I had to carry a suitcase of clothing, etc., in the vehicle
as we didn't know when we would be allowed on or off the base.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

Pretty much right where I am now: Sitting at my computer. I had just
turned the TV on in time to see the second plane hit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/11/2008 12:46 PM Stormin Mormon said the following:
Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

Sitting right here in front of my computer with CNN news on the TV off
to my right. The regular news was interrupted by the first plane strike.
I watched CNN until the second tower fell, cutting off CNN (CNN was
being broadcast from the antenna on the second tower). Thereafter I
watched one of the local NY news channels whose antenna was on the
Empire State Building.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

On watch in Radio, USS Fort McHenry, Sasebo Japan. Base went to immediate
wartime alert with full recall. Japanese ships as well with us (combined
base).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

Working on my computer at home like I'm doing right now. I was
listening to the radio and heard them announce about the first hit. I
thought "..some air traffic controller is going to get hung out for
this.." and continued working. Then I heard about the second hit and I
thought "something is wrong here.."

I grew up in NYC and was about 18 years old when the WTC was being
built; but I now live in a fairly rural area. We don't have a TV, so
I got into my car and drove 5 miles into the nearest town where there
is a McDonalds that has a TV. I watched the collapse of the towers
from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had just stepped out of the shower in my hotel room and turned on
the TV just in time to see the second plane hit. I was visiting Las
Vegas for a trade show. All I wanted to do was get home (South
Carolina). Once we realized that flights would not resume for several
more days, we got on a waiting list for a rental car. We ended up
getting the last car on the Alamo lot. We left on Wednesday afternoon
and drove straight through, with the three of us taking 4-hour shifts
behind the wheel. With one exception we stopped only for drive-thru
food, gas and the bathroom. It took 35 hours and 45 minutes to get
home.

I remember the anger and fear that I experienced for days after the
attack. I also remember the good feelings that came with seeing all
the "God bless America" signs along the interstates all the way home.
It was an uneasy mixture of emotions, but I remember feeling confident
that we would bring justice to those who committed this terrible act.
It is a shame that so many have forgotten what those days felt like.
We wouldn't be arguing about Afganistan and Iraq today if we didn't
have such a short collective memory.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:24:01 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

On watch in Radio, USS Fort McHenry, Sasebo Japan. Base went to immediate
wartime alert with full recall. Japanese ships as well with us (combined
base).

First. Thank You for your service!!

All building entrances on Nellis AFB, NV was posted with DEFCON 1 (?)
posters. I kept one to remind of this day, seven years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Just got out of bed and turn on the TV set. Couldn't believe my eyes that
someone could do this to us. Should have gotten Bin Laden by now, maybe
McCain finish the job if we let him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:03:41 -0700 (PDT), the_tool_man
wrote Re September 11:

It is a shame that so many have forgotten what those days felt like.
We wouldn't be arguing about Afganistan and Iraq today if we didn't
have such a short collective memory.

Sadly, that's very true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"the_tool_man" wrote in message news:0d7cd68b-
We wouldn't be arguing about Afganistan and Iraq today if we didn't
have such a short collective memory.

What on earth does Iraq have to do with 9/11?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:10:15 -0700, Frank x wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Just got out of bed and turn on the TV set. Couldn't believe my eyes that
someone could do this to us. Should have gotten Bin Laden by now, maybe
McCain finish the job if we let him.

Doubtful. All the republicans have been doing for the last 7 years is
actively recruiting for al qaeda. Diverting most of out resources
into an irrelevent country was a stroke of genius. Maybe we can start
another war or two, perhaps iran and syria.
That'll really teach al qaeda, based from saudia arabia and afganistan,
a lesson.

With any luck, we can do full trillion dollar yearly deficits and
bankrupt the federal govt. once and for all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/11/2008 4:10 PM Frank said the following:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Just got out of bed and turn on the TV set. Couldn't believe my eyes that
someone could do this to us. Should have gotten Bin Laden by now, maybe
McCain finish the job if we let him.

We are probably the only nation on earth that has rules of engagement.
In Iraq, a US soldier has to get permission to shoot someone on a roof
with an AK47 in his hands.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
in the original Orange County
Posted to alt.home.repair

"the_tool_man" wrote

I remember the anger and fear that I experienced for days after the
attack. I also remember the good feelings that came with seeing all
the "God bless America" signs along the interstates all the way home.
It was an uneasy mixture of emotions, but I remember feeling confident
that we would bring justice to those who committed this terrible act.
It is a shame that so many have forgotten what those days felt like.

I was overseas. I remember my apartment manger coming to the door of every
American renting there, in full ceremonial gear to express his sorrow. It
was the day they let us back in port (we were all pulled in shipboard and
sent out for a week or so to sit in the harbor, ready to deploy imediately).

I was in tears, having finally gotten the list of the dead at the pentagon.
I knew several of them quite well. Workmates.

We thanked the manager most well, and he had not realized some of us were
just getting word of our dead friends that day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

People are still not over Pear Harbor.

[Pearl Harbor]

How do you get over/forget so fast?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard Evans wrote in
:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

Pretty much right where I am now: Sitting at my computer. I had just
turned the TV on in time to see the second plane hit.

ditto.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:54:08 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"the_tool_man" wrote

[...]

Those friends now have a Memorial, dedicated today. A bench, a tree
and a water feature for each victim. Age 3 to 71.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

On watch in Radio, USS Fort McHenry, Sasebo Japan. Base went to immediate
wartime alert with full recall. Japanese ships as well with us (combined
base).

First. Thank You for your service!!

Welcome! I'm at the last bit before retirement. 26 years come May 2009.
USN Senior Chief (E8 for other branches)

All building entrances on Nellis AFB, NV was posted with DEFCON 1 (?)
posters. I kept one to remind of this day, seven years ago.

We locked down *hard* overseas. It was 3 years (yes YEARS) later when
Sasebo allowed taxis onbase at all. That with drivers who had security
clearances. Heck, I'm still in cycle for my weapons quals (good for a year)
for M50, 25MM, and 9MM.

All our feelings back then were (excuse my french), 'come **** with ME
asshole! I am armed, loaded, and WILL take you OUT'.

It's also got a more polite name. 'Hard Target'. The guy on sleep at the
post is who a terrorist will hit. We learned to have more guards, more
training, and just did not put up with any shennanigans at all.

Yes, I was on watch that day. The Navy wording is 'I stood the watch'.
Soon I will turn this over to my younger mates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pearl Harbor still bothers me. The vast majority of those who died in
the WTC would be alive if they left their cubicles and left the
building!!!! Who stays in a building that has been hit by a plane?

wrote:
Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

People are still not over Pear Harbor.

How do you get over/forget so fast?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"security telling peopel to go back to work" ??? Sorry but unless
loaded weapons are pointed at me I'm leaving any building that has
been hit by a plane or one next to one that has been hit by a
plane!!!!! What can they do? Fire Me? A minor stampede would clear
stairwells. Greed my friend killed most of them. The second tower
could have been mostly empty by the time the second plane hit and only
those on the affected floors and above would have been in jeopardy.
No one with a brain listens to "experts"- most recently Gustav shows
that the experts are not always right.

wrote:
Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

People are still not over Pear Harbor.

How do you get over/forget so fast?

How did you figure this out?

Elevators don't work, crowded stairwells, and Security telling folks
just to go back to work! Some went up and never came home!

SO! How do you get over this? Specific to the attack upon our nation?!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"help is on the way" - let's see : If I am able to get out I'm getting
out. All those below the impact and in the second tower have no
excuse. "Experts" say vaccines dont cause autism but the evidence
shows something else. Americans have become weak, soft, sheep and
that is why we were attacked. We cant win a war against a bunch of
towelheads because our soldiers arent free to kill the enemy and we
lack the guts to destroy any area active with insurgents.

On Sep 11, 6:05*pm, willshak wrote:
on 9/11/2008 5:11 PM said the following:

Pearl Harbor still bothers me. *The vast majority of those who died in
the WTC would be alive if they left their cubicles and left the
building!!!! Who stays in a building that has been hit by a plane?

The people who were told by the dispatchers to stay where they were,
help was on the way.

wrote:

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

People are still not over Pear Harbor.

How do you get over/forget so fast?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
in the original Orange County
To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:06:48 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"Oren" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

[...]

I don't speak French, but you can send those swabbies over to the
Army!

Army Infantry "green maggots" gets it done. (GRIN)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:07:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Greed my friend killed most of them.

Find ME one greedy person that day! I beg you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:48:50 -0400, willshak
wrote Re September 11:

We are probably the only nation on earth that has rules of engagement.
In Iraq, a US soldier has to get permission to shoot someone on a roof
with an AK47 in his hands.

We need those rules in order to lose.

It's what or politocos are best at.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Several Thousand were too busy making money for someone else to think
of their families and selves first. Otherwise, they would have went
for a "smoke break" and left the buildings. Then when the second
plane hit they'd have said "I'm outta here" and headed home.

On Sep 11, 6:46*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:07:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Greed my friend killed most of them.

Find ME one greedy person that day! I beg you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 4:18*pm, "h" wrote:
"the_tool_man" wrote in message news:0d7cd68b-
We wouldn't be arguing about Afganistan and Iraq today if we didn't
have such a short collective memory.

What on earth does Iraq have to do with 9/11?

Jim Yanik beat me to it, but clearly the answer to your question is "a
lot". In his address following the attack, President Bush said that
anyone harboring or giving aid to terrorists would be considered an
enemy in the war against terror.

BTW, thanks for proving my point about how quickly some people forget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

At work, one of the ladies in the office had a radio on and heard about the
first plane. They thought it was a small aircraft at that time. Our US
parent company fed one of the US new stations over our closed satellite
network a few minutes before the second plane hit. We had the radio on over
the intercom well into the morning despite being open to the public. Being I
live on the west coast of Canada we saw an increase in air traffic that day
as air traffic was diverted to our airports. I even remember seeing a
passenger jet escorted in by a military jet. Calls went out asking the
public to call in if they could take in stranded travelers. I don't believe
this was necessary as the hotels and motels opened up everything they had. I
remember feeling sick for days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wrote:

I was home working (self-employed) and my furnace was having its
annual cleaning. The guy got a phone call from his son, who lives in
NYC, so he came upstairs and we turned on the TV. We saw the second
plane hit, live. It was unbelievable.

I was on a comercial jet. We were ordered to land. No idea what was
happening.

One of the most fascinating conversations took place when the head man at
the FAA said: "This **** stops right now. ATC-Zero.* Nationwide."

The most amazing thing followed 9-11 when the government committees,
agencies, and know-it-alls tried to come up with codified procedures to
follow should something similar happen in the future. You won't believe what
they decided. They concluded that no procedure that they could envision
would be as effective as those the ad hoc decisions, made on the fly by
people intimately involved with the day to day operations. The result? No
conclusion, no procedures, no chain of command, no recommendations. Just do
your best.

Amazing that something so profound could originate from a government
commission.

On the other hand, I can think of another. I learned to day that the agency
in charge of the Pentagon disaster relief was - wait for it now - the
Arlington Virginia fire department! That's right. There were some big
footprint agencies around: the FBI and the DOD to name two, but they
deferred to this municipal fire department. For eleven days, until all the
fires were out.

Maybe emergencies bring out the best in people.

---
ATC-Zero = all planes on the ground. At that time, there were about 4,300
commercial airliners aloft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:gabi4o
:

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

I was at work. Got a call from my Main Squeeze about it. No TV at work.
Brought up an RS6K server as admin for sole use on a T1 line so I could
watch CNN. That was 7 yrs ago. I guess today the avg hack can do the
equivalent or better at home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:gabi4o
:

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

I was at work. Got a call from my Main Squeeze about it. No TV at work.
Brought up an RS6K server as admin for sole use on a T1 line so I could
watch CNN. That was 7 yrs ago. I guess today the avg hack can do the
equivalent or better at home.

Saw it at work in the conference room on the training tv/vcr, using an
RV antenna I had stuck on a window of the local federal building several
weeks before. Kept working until they sent us all home around noon.
(They fancied themselves a high-value target.) Got into work e-mail
server from home (this was before the e-mail lockdown era) and answered
mail all afternoon, explaining that we were in evac status, while
watching network news for next 12 hours and trying to get a dial tone
and LD trunk to call family in other cities. All in all, not a day I
care to repeat, ever.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 4:18 pm, "h" wrote:
"the_tool_man" wrote in message news:0d7cd68b-
We wouldn't be arguing about Afganistan and Iraq today if we didn't
have such a short collective memory.

What on earth does Iraq have to do with 9/11?

Jim Yanik beat me to it, but clearly the answer to your question is "a
lot". In his address following the attack, President Bush said that
anyone harboring or giving aid to terrorists would be considered an
enemy in the war against terror.

BTW, thanks for proving my point about how quickly some people forget.

Bzzt, no, but thanks for playing. Conservative plonkers. You so don't get
it. Just because Faux News says something, it doesn't make it true. Idiots
like you are why Republicans keep getting "elected" (or are able to steal
the office).