Posted to alt.home.repair

Default September 11

Bzzt, no, but thanks for playing. Conservative plonkers. You so don't get
it. Just because Faux News says something, it doesn't make it true. Idiots
like you are why Republicans keep getting "elected" (or are able to steal
the office).

Ahhh. Well, I'm so glad that h (how do you pronounce that, BTW?)
stopped by to enlighten idiots like me. Silly me, thinking that
dozens of news sources could all be telling the truth, when all along
h has the answers. Next thing you know, h will be telling us how the
pentagon staged the whole thing, etc.

Next time you want to express your opinion, h, go right ahead. It is
your unalienable right to do so, after all (I'm assuming from your
derisive remark about Republicans that you are a US citizen).
However, I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself
to a person who rises and sleeps under the blanket of freedom our
country provides and then questions the manner in which it is
provided.

plonk
Posted to alt.home.repair

"the_tool_man" wrote in message
However, I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself
to a person who rises and sleeps under the blanket of freedom our
country provides and then questions the manner in which it is
provided.

It is the DUTY of every citizen to question the government, especially when
it is involved in illegal, ill-conceived, and just plain wrong-headed
activities. Or didn't they teach you that in civics class. Plonk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

many were CUT OFF by the intense heat,smoke,and flames from the burning jet
fuel;they were on floors ABOVE the conflagration.
Also,getting down smoke-filled stairways full of panicked people from 60
floors up is not easy,either.

Whole bunches of conventional wisdom was shattered on that day. From
the time of the rash of Cuban hijackings to 9-12, the airline's
procedures called for cooperation with the hijackers to get them where
they wanted to go safely. Worked fine until 9-11.
Same basic principle with WTC. High rises were generally built along
the concept of "defend in place" because of the concerns about having
huge numbers of people evacuating all at once going down getting in the
way of the FF going up. Except for floors directly impacted and a couple
above and below, SOP in most departments was to keep people where they
were and evacuate as needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Just got out of bed and turn on the TV set. Couldn't believe my eyes
that someone could do this to us. Should have gotten Bin Laden by
now, maybe McCain finish the job if we let him.

I just finished Douglas Feith's new book, "War and Decision." In was never a
primary goal of the Bush administration to "get" Ben Laden. Bringing the
head perp "to justice" is a law enforcement tactic; the Bush administration,
conversely, viewed the conflict as a war, not a crime, with the single goal
of preventing another attack on the U.S. or U.S. interests. To that end,
they concentrated on defeating the enemy by disrupting communications,
cutting off financing, destroying enemy resources such as training
facilities and equipment, attrition of warriors, discouraging other states
from being sponsors of terrorism, etc.

Killing ben Laden would be nice, but few movements or wars are ever won by
decapitating the leadership.

In my view, "getting" ben Laden would be among the WORST thing that could be
done. With him "brought to justice," there would be agitation to return to
the status quo, to curtail or eliminate the war on terror.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Where were you, when the planes hit the WTC?

At work at a large bank data center several hundred miles from NYC. I
watched on the 40" TV as the towers fell and at the same time several
alarms went off on the wire transfer system monitor nearby as several
data lines that went through the WTC dropped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You NEVER cooperate with terrorists. If they say they have a bomb-
demand to see it. If they cant show it they dont have it. Same with
guns etc. I cannot imagine allowing a few guys with box cutters to
commandeer a plane when they are outnumbered 10 to 1. As to the stay
in place doctrine- it's my life- I'm getting out at any cost. Crowded
stairs can be cleared with enough people pushing forcefully. Some
will fall but mosst will get out