Posted to alt.home.repair

Default free lumber

I've been scanning the freecycle and carigslist free areas and
have found a lot of "free, must be moved" buildings. aside from a lot
of labor is there a downside to recycling these building materials?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tater wrote:
I've been scanning the freecycle and carigslist free areas and
have found a lot of "free, must be moved" buildings. aside from a lot
of labor is there a downside to recycling these building materials?

You mean other than the liability for whatever is there that has to be
cleaned up, etc.?

I'd be very wary of anything very old owing to asbestos police, etc.

I've seen some that have site remediation clauses as well, not simply
move a building and there are generally time constraints and other
conditions as well.

In a metro area I don't think I'd touch one as an individual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dunno what downside there could be, if you have the time and a use for
the lumber, and a way to safely transport it. If you are not going to
use the lumber immediately, you need to have a place to store it out of
the weather and flat so it does not warp and bow out of shape. (Happened
to a friend-- he tore down a house for the lumber and by the time he got
ready to use it, a lot of it was no good). Also, most of those "tear
down for the lumber" deals specify that you take all or none, and often
have a set time frame that it must be completed within. FWIW, I
know a guy who built a pretty good sized 2 story house almost entirely
out of materials he scavenged over about a five+ year period. Among
other things, he got about 2000 sf of maple flooring about an inch thick
or more from a gymnasium that was being torn down. I've seen the outside
of the house and it is beautiful. People who have seen the inside tell
me it is absolutely incredible. Go for it
if you want, but start with something small first. Good luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 6:16*pm, Tater wrote:
I've been scanning the freecycle and carigslist free areas and
have found a lot of "free, must be moved" buildings. aside from a lot
of labor is there a downside to recycling these building materials?

Labor is one biggee. Another is tools. You will need some serious
wrecking bars, hammers and sledge hammers.

Waste disposal will be a major problem. I have 'recycled' 2 houses
and a school house (all owned by me). My experience says you will
have about 1 pound of trash for every pound of good stuff you save.

Tear downs are _dangerous_. Invesst in, at a minimum, a hard hat and
a pair of steel toe/steel plate boots. You WILL step on a nail no
matter how careful you are.

Time: Figure lots of time to complete.

?Moveing it?: Forget about that unless you have deep pockets. Moving
companies like to be paid and paid big to move one and you aren't
going to be allowed to do it yourself.

Harry K