Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sweating on small fittings

Hi,

I'm practicing sweating 1/2" copper pipes, but I find that when
sweating on small fittings, such as a coupling or an elbow, I melt the
solder in the first joint when working on the second because they are
so close. What's the trick to avoid this problem?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm practicing sweating 1/2" copper pipes, but I find that when
sweating on small fittings, such as a coupling or an elbow, I melt the
solder in the first joint when working on the second because they are
so close. What's the trick to avoid this problem?

Speed, number one--do both at same time.

Second, if that isn't possible, wrap damp cloth around the first while
doing the second.

Third, practice, practice, practice...will lead to #1

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm practicing sweating 1/2" copper pipes, but I find that when
sweating on small fittings, such as a coupling or an elbow, I melt the
solder in the first joint when working on the second because they are
so close. What's the trick to avoid this problem?

Speed, number one--do both at same time.

Second, if that isn't possible, wrap damp cloth around the first while
doing the second.

Third, practice, practice, practice...will lead to #1

Why mess around. Braze the fittings. 5 percent sil-phos. don't need flux.
Works every time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Dave + Gloria wrote:
Why mess around. Braze the fittings. 5 percent sil-phos. don't need flux.

WAAAAY overkill, primarily why...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 1:07*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm practicing sweating 1/2" copper pipes, but I find that when
sweating on small fittings, such as a coupling or an elbow, I melt the
solder in the first joint when working on the second because they are
so close. What's the trick to avoid this problem?

Thanks,

Aaron

Make sure you are heating the pipe, not the fitting. This should heat
up the fitting enough to do both ends at the same time.

My rookie sweating story:

I had just added a T to an existing pipe when I needed to stop and
turn the water back on. I sweated a 1 foot section of pipe into the T
and then started to sweat a cap onto the end of the pipe. It took me a
little longer than it should have and just about the time the solder
was starting to melt, the cap shot off the end of the pipe like a
bullet and flew across the basement.

The wife wasn't happy about the melted carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 3:01*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Was that because of the expanding air? Don't you solve that problem by
keeping a faucet open?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Waste of time, that's why.

"Dave + Gloria" wrote in message

Why mess around. Braze the fittings. 5 percent sil-phos. don't need flux.
Works every time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Always apply the heat to the fitting. It is heavier and the pipe will
follow along getting hot.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Make sure you are heating the pipe, not the fitting. This should heat
up the fitting enough to do both ends at the same time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Always apply the heat to the fitting. It is heavier and the pipe will
follow along getting hot.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Make sure you are heating the pipe, not the fitting. This should heat
up the fitting enough to do both ends at the same time.

Whoops...that's what I meant but it sure wasn't what I typed!

Gotta member to pruufread afore I hit Sent.