Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom exhaust fan

Hello,

We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello,

We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

Nicky my lad, do you think the size of the bathrooms, the access to its
ceiling fro above, if any, the distance to the roof, the kind of roof and
waterproofing, access to electricity, the kind of fans you want, etc.,
etc,...........might have any bearing on the cost? Hmmmm?

Do you think you might get a better answer if you took the time to give us
that info??

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello,

We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

Not seeing the work to be done, I'd guess between $100 and $1000, but I
could be off by 25%.

Panasonic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello,

We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

Broan makes a model called QTXE. They come in CFM from 80 to 150, with or
without lights. They are very smooth and quiet. I personally prefer them
over Panasonic models which are also smooth and quiet. As for the
installation, there are to many variables, so it's best to get prices from
local contractors

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 5:17*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

Hello,

* * We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

Not seeing the work to be done, I'd guess between $100 and $1000, but I
could be off by 25%.

Panasonic

I tend to agree. If everything else is in place, wiring, switches,
vent piping to an outside vent etc. etc. one could probably go to a
big box store, pick up a fan and a few bits and pieces and install it
oneself for $100 or less. That's what we would do to replace our
existing bathroom fan etc.
However; it if it requires 'all new'; for example wiring into and
existing wall, cutting that wall, patching and re-plastering that
wall, etc. etc.! Then when it comes to roof work? Is a scaffold
required; safety gear to prevent worker falls? Making sure the
contractor has liability insurance while working in/on your property
etc. etc. Time to get to your location, do the work, clean up and
return to base? Any permits required in your jurisdiction? If so who
gets them?
Could be $1000 easy!
Also btw considering that cost of materials could be the least part of
the job.
rather like saying a good cook can make a cake that is applauded by
all by using a small amount of flour, some lard, a smidgen of spices,
a few handfuls of raisins/nuts etc. a greased baking dish and a whole
lot of skill and know-how in an oven set to the proper temperature!.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
Hello,

We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

Broan makes a model called QTXE. They come in CFM from 80 to 150, with or
without lights. They are very smooth and quiet. I personally prefer them
over Panasonic models which are also smooth and quiet. As for the
installation, there are to many variables, so it's best to get prices from
local contractors

Roy, how are these fans for retrofit? I like the Panasonic's because I can
sometimes change out the builders cheapo bath fans where there is no attic
access with a Panasonic without having to tear the ceiling apart. Is that
possible with this particular Broan model?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

No John, that's the one area where Panasonic really has them beat. You have
to have deep enough joists (12") to push the entire unit into the ceiling
almost vertically, then lay it on top of the sheet rock and connect the duct
fitting and duct, then slide it into the hole. For attic installs, they're
really good, cheaper than Panasonic, no vibration, and every bit as quiet,
although they (Broan) claim it's the quietest fan on earth, or some such
thing

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote

No John, that's the one area where Panasonic really has them beat. You
have to have deep enough joists (12") to push the entire unit into the
ceiling almost vertically, then lay it on top of the sheet rock and
connect the duct fitting and duct, then slide it into the hole. For attic
installs, they're really good, cheaper than Panasonic, no vibration, and
every bit as quiet,

Good info. One of these days, I want to remove the existing fan we have and
replace with a properly vented one. Right now, it just vents to the attic
crawlspace believe it or not. One of my 'tricks' previous owners left us.
(meantime we plastic sealed it and its causing no harm).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:49:21 -0400,
wrote:

Hello,

We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

There was no previous exhaust fan so the electrical work must be done
and a cutout must be made. That's probably all I needs as I can make
the connections myself between the exhaust fan and roof. The gap
between the ceiling of the bathroom and the roof in the attic is less
than 6 feet so there is no need for scaffolding etc as the gap between
the ceiling and the attic roof is less than 6 feet.

If there is no electric, then the cost of the install could vary
greatly. If it's easy to (safely) tap into an existing circuit, and easy
to place the switch/humidistat, then it should be relatively cheap. If
not, then not.

BTW if you "can make the connections (your)self between the exhaust fan
and roof", then you can probably make the cut out also. Most fans come
with a template. Drill four holes in the corners and connect the dots
with a small saw. If you have easy access in the attic as you say, it's
all the easier since you can see obstructions before you start cutting.

That just leaves the electric, which with a little research, you might
even be able to tackle yourself.

Man, this just keeps getting cheaper all the time!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Check out Fantech. They make inline fans so you can locate the motor
away from the ceiling. You can also install two grilles in the
bathroom with a Y connector, provided you choose the right CFM of
course. The PB100 is a kit with fan + grille @ 100cfm for about $150.

http://www.fantech.net/bathroom.htm
Scroll down tto the PB series - right below is a picture of how it
looks installed.

On Sep 9, 2:49*pm, wrote:
Hello,

* * *We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just to throw another potato into the stew, I prefer a unit that
is able to be turned on by its own humidity sensor.
Sure cuts down on mold accumulation.

On Sep 9, 2:49*pm, wrote:
Hello,

* * *We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 2:49*pm, wrote:
Hello,

* * *We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

The sensor is asking a lot, do you really think this is a good idea or
even necessary? I put in 30-minute wall timers in the bathroom fans
which works well after a steamy shower--absolutely no mold in 16
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 2:49*pm, wrote:
Hello,

* * *We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

The sensor is asking a lot, do you really think this is a good idea or
even necessary? *I put in 30-minute wall timers in the bathroom fans
which works well after a steamy shower--absolutely no mold in 16
years.

No point in arguing with success.
I have an Aprilaire sensor, rewired to trigger on humidity rise rather
than fall. Works so well, I did the same thing for my A/C. (Inserted
in series into the red wire).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 2:49*pm, wrote:
Hello,

* * *We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

I can't help you with price, but I do suggest that you look around
at the more expensive units. They will last longer and perform
better. The one thing most people don't seem to think about is how
noisy they are going to be. In the store with all the background
noise they will not sound nearly as loud as they are going to when you
have them in your home. Yea, the good ones are generally expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 2:49*pm, wrote:
Hello,

* * *We are looking to have an exhaust fan added to our two bathrooms.
A new roof was installed this past May and I had the roofer already
add the exhaust vents. What is a fair price to have them installed?
Also can anyone recommend a good quality one?

Thanks,
Nick

The sensor is asking a lot, do you really think this is a good idea or
even necessary? *I put in 30-minute wall timers in the bathroom fans
which works well after a steamy shower--absolutely no mold in 16
years.

I also went with timers over humidistats so the fans can easily be
used any time someone wants to - and they were much cheaper.

However, the *main* reason I installed timers in the first place is
because no one else in the family was able to figure out how to use
the toggle switch.

It seems that everyone knew that "up equals on" but apparently no one
knew that "down equals off".

Dryer exhaust and bathroom exhaust distances Phisherman Home Repair 2 May 20th 08 05:07 AM
Bathroom exhaust goes where? [email protected] Home Ownership 8 December 28th 05 04:37 PM
Bathroom Exhaust Fan al Home Repair 8 June 8th 05 11:53 PM
Bathroom Exhaust MP Home Repair 13 April 7th 05 09:46 PM
Bathroom Exhaust fan twfsa Home Repair 1 January 1st 05 12:45 AM