Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Secure locksets

Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a
lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could
fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on
another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump-
proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household
use? Thanks in advance.

as long as I gotta buy some,might as well get the right
ones.

Tim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message

Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a
lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could
fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on
another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump-
proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household
use? Thanks in advance.

1. Mortice locks.
2. Bolts like grandpa trusted in.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim wrote:

Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a
lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could
fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on
another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump-
proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household
use? Thanks in advance.

as long as I gotta buy some,might as well get the right ones.

Buy your locksets from a real locksmith. You'll pay about the same
price you would at the big box store, and you'll develop a relationship
with a guy who can come rescue you.

The locksmith will be happy to explain to you that the bumping thing
has been known for years, and that its danger was exaggerated on the
Internet.

Imagine that--something was exaggerated on the Internet. ;-)

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in
:

Tim wrote:

Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a
lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could
fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on
another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump-
proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household
use? Thanks in advance.

as long as I gotta buy some,might as well get the right ones.

Buy your locksets from a real locksmith. You'll pay about the same
price you would at the big box store, and you'll develop a relationship
with a guy who can come rescue you.

The locksmith will be happy to explain to you that the bumping thing
has been known for years, and that its danger was exaggerated on the
Internet.

Imagine that--something was exaggerated on the Internet. ;-)

Yea but shortly after the last rekindled round about bumping on the
Internet I started seeing (or just noticing) lockset pkgs with anti-bump
advertised up front.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
Tim wrote:

Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a
lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could
fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on
another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump-
proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household
use? Thanks in advance.

as long as I gotta buy some,might as well get the right ones.

Buy your locksets from a real locksmith. You'll pay about the same
price you would at the big box store, and you'll develop a relationship
with a guy who can come rescue you.

The locksmith will be happy to explain to you that the bumping thing
has been known for years, and that its danger was exaggerated on the
Internet.

Imagine that--something was exaggerated on the Internet. ;-)

I'd wager not one residential burglar in 100 knows the technique. A
high-value commercial target, with hard walls, in an area that offers
privacy at night, might be worth fancy locks, but it is also probably
worth an alarm system. A typical house is more likely to get robbed
during the day, and it usually isn't through the front door anyway- it
is through a sliding door or window around back, or through an unlocked
garage. (Almost nobody bothers to lock the door between kitchen and
garage.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

"SteveBell" wrote in
:

Tim wrote:

[...]

Well of course you did. No lock company executive in his right mind is
going to pass up the opportunity to exploit unfounded fears by gouging
the wrongly-informed consumer. If he calmly and logically explained
that bumping is all a bunch of shouting about nothing, how would he
justify his gigantic annual bonus?

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 6:33*pm, Tim wrote:
* Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a
lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could
fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on
another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump-
proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household
use? *Thanks in advance.

* * * * * * as long as I gotta buy some,might as well get the right
ones.

Tim

Don't bother. "Locks don't stop thieves, they just keep honest people
honest."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 7:55*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

Thanks Steve, I guess that I assumed that a locksmith would be
prohibitively expensive.

Tim
Posted to alt.home.repair

There was a famous burglar in the DC suburbs about 20 years ago. He would
knock on the door during the daytime, if no answer he would go around back
and kick the door in. Most home construction will not withstand this kind
of attack. If you are really worried get a home security system.

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
Tim wrote:
Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a
lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could
fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on
another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump-
proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household
use? Thanks in advance.

as long as I gotta buy some,might as well get the right
ones.

Tim

Window bumping is more common.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

Posted to alt.home.repair

Imagine that. Packagers are responding to internet rumors.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Imagine that--something was exaggerated on the Internet. ;-)

Yea but shortly after the last rekindled round about bumping on the
Internet I started seeing (or just noticing) lockset pkgs with anti-bump
advertised up front.

Posted to alt.home.repair

actually locking the house stops most burglars? Imagine that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message
I'd wager not one residential burglar in 100 knows the technique. A
high-value commercial target, with hard walls, in an area that offers
privacy at night, might be worth fancy locks, but it is also probably
worth an alarm system. A typical house is more likely to get robbed
during the day, and it usually isn't through the front door anyway- it
is through a sliding door or window around back, or through an unlocked
garage. (Almost nobody bothers to lock the door between kitchen and
garage.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Compared to having everything stolen out of your house? I can't see your
house from here. But please call a couple locksmiths for estimates. And then
look at your house, and make the decision.

Hmm. Locksmith versus having family members hurt, and being scared in your
own home? Tough call.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tim" wrote in message

Thanks Steve, I guess that I assumed that a locksmith would be
prohibitively expensive.

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good deadbolt will slow him down. A lot.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeff" wrote in message
news There was a famous burglar in the DC suburbs about 20 years ago. He would
knock on the door during the daytime, if no answer he would go around back
and kick the door in. Most home construction will not withstand this kind
of attack. If you are really worried get a home security system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Good deadbolt will slow him down. A lot.

And a 12-gauge even more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a
lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could
fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on
another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump-
proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household
use? Thanks in advance.

as long as I gotta buy some,might as well get the right
ones.

Medeco is the brand that I have heard of that meets thse needs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Good deadbolt will slow him down. A lot.

FWIW, we had our door kicked in recently, and our house burglarized.
They had a member of the team who was big enough to just break the
(solid core) door in two. He was seen working at another house
a few minutes later. The witness said he easily weighed 400 pounds.
The door didn't stand a chance. And they got away (the witness got
their license number, but it was a stolen car).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Good deadbolt will slow him down. A lot.

And a 12-gauge even more.

Hey, speaking of that, I was expecting you to post a link to the news
story the other day about an armed home invasion in Texas, where the
couple took the shotgun from one of them and shot both men. One killed,
one wounded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just about the time people make an idiot proof deadbolt, someone designs a
bigger idiot. That's a real shame.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CJT" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Good deadbolt will slow him down. A lot.

FWIW, we had our door kicked in recently, and our house burglarized.
They had a member of the team who was big enough to just break the
(solid core) door in two. He was seen working at another house
a few minutes later. The witness said he easily weighed 400 pounds.
The door didn't stand a chance. And they got away (the witness got
their license number, but it was a stolen car).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. How do you mount the 12 gage to the outside of the door?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Good deadbolt will slow him down. A lot.

And a 12-gauge even more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim wrote:
Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a
lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could
fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on
another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump-
proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household
use? Thanks in advance.

as long as I gotta buy some,might as well get the right
ones.

Search alt.locksmithing for bumping. There have been some threads on
brands and things you can try for a conventional lock. Some "high
security" locks are not bump proof.

I agree with whoever said 'hardening' the door and strike are more
important.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 4:15 pm, bud-- wrote:
Tim wrote:
Awhile back there was an internet tutorial going around that was a
lesson on "lock bumping", basically a method by which a burglar could
fairly easily defeat most household entry locksets.Someone,perhaps on
another newsgroup posted info on one or more brands that were bump-
proof.Does anybody have info on more secure locksets for household

Tim put up bumping on the net and you can read all about it.
There used to be pictures of kids bumping euro locks on the net.
You can buy sets of fifty keys to cover all types of euro locks
then practice at home until you are good at it.
There are two makes of euro lock that are sold as bump proof,
however, as glass breaks so easily, why bother to spend 30 minutes
opening a door when you can smash your way in, in seconds.
Important point! If there is no sign of break in because your lock has
been bumped!
Then, your insurers can ague you left the door unlocked - and they
don't pay out.
Whats more, can you be sure you didn't leave the door unlocked?
Perry