Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing my underground reservoir

I am laying the blocks for my underground reservoir. This will hold water
to be pumped onto my lawn during summer months.

My question is, I plan to seal the inside of the reservoir so it can hold
water. Is there any need to seal the outside with tar or anything? Water
infiltration is not a problem because its meant to be wet. I want to make
sure though that water infiltration will not damage the integrity of the
thing. I think the normal way is some kind of tar painted on the outside
of the blocks?

Also, do I need drain tiles around the perimeter? Again, I don't care about
wetness because its meant to be wet on the inside. If I do drain tiles,
then Ill need to do some kind of drain as well. Not looking forward to
that, but more not looking forward to the thing breaking either.

CLG
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert" wrote in message
. ..

I am laying the blocks for my underground reservoir. This will hold water
to be pumped onto my lawn during summer months.

My question is, I plan to seal the inside of the reservoir so it can hold
water. Is there any need to seal the outside with tar or anything?

We may need to know first if it is the size of a barrel
or the size of a swimming pool.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, depending on the size of this, you'll need perimeter drain and a sump.
Otherwise it runs the risk of floating out of the ground during wet seasons.
Or, collapsing from the pressure.

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert" wrote in message
. ..

I am laying the blocks for my underground reservoir. This will hold
water
to be pumped onto my lawn during summer months.

My question is, I plan to seal the inside of the reservoir so it can hold
water. Is there any need to seal the outside with tar or anything?

We may need to know first if it is the size of a barrel
or the size of a swimming pool.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 10:41*am, "CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:
I am laying the blocks for my underground reservoir. *This will hold water
to be pumped onto my lawn during summer months.

My question is, I plan to seal the inside of the reservoir so it can hold
water. *Is there any need to seal the outside with tar or anything? *Water
infiltration is not a problem because its meant to be wet. *I want to make
sure though that water infiltration will not damage the integrity of the
thing. *I think the normal way is some kind of tar painted on the outside
of the blocks?

Also, do I need drain tiles around the perimeter? *Again, I don't care about
wetness because its meant to be wet on the inside. *If I do drain tiles,
then Ill need to do some kind of drain as well. *Not looking forward to
that, but more not looking forward to the thing breaking either.

CLG

At some point you will wish you had installed a bottom drain, even if
it cant be a gravity drain its not just a simple nicety to be able to
hook a pump or open a valve to a bottom drain, its a necessity at some
point. Are the blocks hollow or solid? If hollow then an outside
membrane is less useful because and water infiltration will creep down
the block interiors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:

I am laying the blocks for my underground reservoir. This will hold water
to be pumped onto my lawn during summer months.

My question is, I plan to seal the inside of the reservoir so it can hold
water. Is there any need to seal the outside with tar or anything? Water
infiltration is not a problem because its meant to be wet. I want to make
sure though that water infiltration will not damage the integrity of the
thing. I think the normal way is some kind of tar painted on the outside
of the blocks?

Also, do I need drain tiles around the perimeter? Again, I don't care
about
wetness because its meant to be wet on the inside. If I do drain tiles,
then Ill need to do some kind of drain as well. Not looking forward to
that, but more not looking forward to the thing breaking either.

CLG

The pit is about 5' by 8' and 5'6" deep. There is no wet season here. The
ground is always the same wetness year around. At least by my house. Do
they install this type of thing on septic tanks?

The water level is about another 6" down. At least that is where the
dampness started and I stopped digging.

CLG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 6:31*am, "CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
[...]

CLG- Hide quoted text -

Inquiring minds want to know, why didn't you just install an
irrigation well? A hell of a lot less work and the water is
available in essentially unlimited amount, without regard to when it
rained last.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:

[...]

Your tank will hold roughly 1,750 gallons when brim full. That's enough
water to put 1/2" of water on a lawn of 5,280 square feet. One time. I hope
you have a small lawn or rainy summers.

If you are worried about the integrity of the thing I hope you are using
steel. Lots of steel. And for the top course of block I'd suggest "lintel"
block - blocks with a horizontal, semi-circular depression in which one lays
steel and then grout (runny concrete); they tie the walls together. And
fill all the block cells that have vertical steel with grout too (first,
knock a hole in the bottom cell so air can get out). You going to have a
lid for this thing? How/what?

All in all - had I wanted such a tank - I think I would just have bought a
pre-cast septic tank. Where I live, one that size or close to would run
maybe $1500 installed.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 5:08*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:

[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

per dadiOH's analysis (& I agree with it)

your tank really doesn't make much sense ...to build or even buy

lawns are thirsty things
your tanks needs 4 to 8 times the capacity to make any sense

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
[...]

************************************************** **************

Look up "sand point", and, if you can find it, Brady PVC well points. Brady
seems to have been bought by another company. I can't find the points on the new
page.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 2:48*pm, BobK207 wrote:
On Sep 9, 5:08*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Like somebody said. Humans are foolish. They expect water fountains in
the middle of a desert; like in Las Vegas!
Water will eventually cost several dollars per gallon (like gasoline).
For lawns plant clover not grass. Needs less cutting, less water, less
liable to pests and returns nitrogen to the soil thereby building it
up, instead of, like grass, needing constant watering and fertilizing!
But easy to preach when one lives where the climate is cool, lots of
ground water and it rains frequently!

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

[...]

I am not asking for an evaluation of the functionality of the cistern. This
has been vetted on this group already.

I am asking about sealing it or not.