Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gluing 4" PVC

When I attempt to glue a fitting onto a length of 4" schedule 40 PVC,
the fitting tends to push back forcefully after I push it on. I worry
that I will fail to advance the pipe the full distance into the
fitting.

Is there a plumber's trick to mastering this task?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 8:08*am, Newton wrote:
When I attempt to glue a fitting onto a length of 4" schedule 40 PVC,
the fitting tends to push back forcefully after I push it on. *I worry
that I will fail to advance the pipe the full distance into the
fitting.

Is there a plumber's trick to mastering this task?

if its a closed end pipe then air pressure will be the cause... if its
not closed end then all you need to do is hold the fitting in place
for a few seconds..it will stay put.... be sure to use primer with the
glue.

Phil scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 8:08*am, Newton wrote:
When I attempt to glue a fitting onto a length of 4" schedule 40 PVC,
the fitting tends to push back forcefully after I push it on. *I worry
that I will fail to advance the pipe the full distance into the
fitting.

Is there a plumber's trick to mastering this task?

Do a dry fit (don't get the pipe stuck) to get a feel for how it will
go together.

Measure fitting depth & mark the pipe with a felt pen to give you an
idea of the fully seated location.

Use primer on pipe and fitting. Immediately apply glue (especially
liberally to the pipe, do not puddle the fitting).

Slide pipe into fitting, do the 1/4 turn and HOLD the pipe in its
fully seated position for 30 seconds (over kill but extrusion is
worse).

There is a slight interference fit between PVC pipe & fittings and on
larger pipe the "extrsuion" force can be noticeable.

Make sure your work area is organized & the pipe is positioned so you
can easily accomplish fit up.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Newton" wrote in message
When I attempt to glue a fitting onto a length of 4" schedule 40 PVC,
the fitting tends to push back forcefully after I push it on. I worry
that I will fail to advance the pipe the full distance into the
fitting.

Is there a plumber's trick to mastering this task?

NO there isn't any
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Newton" wrote in message
When I attempt to glue a fitting onto a length of 4" schedule 40 PVC,
the fitting tends to push back forcefully after I push it on. I worry
that I will fail to advance the pipe the full distance into the
fitting.

Is there a plumber's trick to mastering this task?

Be sure that you have fresh cement and use it on the male *and* the female
portions. Don't go nuts with it either - just be thorough.