Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Programmable thermostat recommendation ?

Never had one before, so I have no idea what to look for. Usually I just
keep the house coldish in the winter and warmish in the summer rather
than running a bill up, but I may now be ready to move forward G. I
spend most of my free time in one room watching tv etc, using a Delonghi
type radiator, so it's not like I'm stoic.

I work M-F so I think it might be nice to wake up to a warm house for a
change, and one day a week I have to get up several hr early for a
meeting, so some flexibility would be nice, but not mandatory, for that
day. Ease of use is not mandatory, although it would be nice. I can
generally figure out dvr's, vcr's etc w/o instructions.

I'll be having someone else install it since I don't "do" electric! I'd
like to spend in the $50-70 range, but like I said I don't know anything
about them, so if there is a compelling reason to pay more for a
particular model, I'd be interested in that recommendation as well. Any
particular features I should look for, or are they all pretty much the
same? This will be replacing a Honeywell digital (but not programmable)
unit if that makes any difference. Oh, and it's for an oil furnace,
forced hot air. Also have A/C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 9:06*am, Lee wrote:
[...]

If all you want is set back, you should be able to find a few in that
price range that break the day into 4 segments,
wake, day, evening and sleep. Past that it is down to ease of
programing & a display that doesn't require reading glasses.
One feature to hold out for is; "copy previous day". that lets you set
one day to your liking, the copy it across the week.
I'm holding out for dehumidify, so far only available on higher end
models, it won't save any money, but it sure feels good.
I have it on my main unit, but have yet to get it on my zoned ones.
That feature pretty much doubles your top figure.
Since you are planning to have the work done, I hope you were quoting
the $50-70 for the unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Honeywell Vision Pro line according to your need. The best in the market
as far as I am concerned. I installed Vsion Pro 8000 at my cabin,
Honeywell wireless thermostat at home. Totally satisfied.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 8, 9:06*am, Lee wrote:
[...]

I vote with everybody else that Honeywell has excellent thermostats.
Best in my experience are mid- to upscale units, say $55 and up, best
balance of needed features.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lee" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Honeywell thermostats are fine, but in my opinion overpriced. Anything a
Honeywell can do, a White Rogers can do cheaper. I've never had problems
with them, which I can't say for Honeywell, and I find them easier to
program and operate in general. Here is one that will work for your needs:
http://www.dynamicsaleshvac.com/serv...Digital/Detail

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lee" wrote in message
. ..

I'll be having someone else install it since I don't "do" electric! I'd
like to spend in the $50-70 range, but like I said I don't know anything
about them, so if there is a compelling reason to pay more for a
particular model, I'd be interested in that recommendation as well. Any
particular features I should look for, or are they all pretty much the
same? This will be replacing a Honeywell digital (but not programmable)
unit if that makes any difference. Oh, and it's for an oil furnace, forced
hot air. Also have A/C.

Either Honeywell or White Rogers.

Most will do a 5/2 program and if you work Mon-Fri that is all you need.
Others have more options as to the individual days so if you have odd days
off, that is best for you. I like having the heat come on 15 minutes before
I get out of bed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any particular features I should look for, or are they all pretty much the
same? This will be replacing a Honeywell digital (but not programmable)
unit if that makes any difference. Oh, and it's for an oil furnace,
forced hot air. Also have A/C.

Well the cm24 is more expensive but a has a feature you might want to
consider.
It allows you to call and adjust the temperature. Say you are at work
and didn't
leave the air on but it got really hot. You can call before you leave
and turn it on.

http://www.thermostatshop.com/cem24-series.shtml

Good Luck,
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lee" wrote in message
. ..

Never had one before, so I have no idea what to look for. Usually I just
keep the house coldish in the winter and warmish in the summer rather than
running a bill up, but I may now be ready to move forward G. I spend
most of my free time in one room watching tv etc, using a Delonghi type
radiator, so it's not like I'm stoic.

I work M-F so I think it might be nice to wake up to a warm house for a
change, and one day a week I have to get up several hr early for a
meeting, so some flexibility would be nice, but not mandatory, for that
day. Ease of use is not mandatory, although it would be nice. I can
generally figure out dvr's, vcr's etc w/o instructions.

I'll be having someone else install it since I don't "do" electric! I'd

With only two or three wires to install, and it's only 24vac, you can
probably handle it.

If you're one that stays up past midnight as I am, note that some mfgr's
offerings don't allow you to program past midnight. I had a Lux? unit that
acted that way. My Honeywells allow programming past midnight, i.e. if my
"return" part of the program (normally for when you get home around dinner
time) starts at 4:30pm, on the Honeywell it can end past midnight. Not so on
the Lux, it had to end at 11:45pm since it only worked in 15-minute
increments.

There are a few different kinds: those that allow a different program for
all 7 days (called 7-day programmable), those that have one program for all
weekdays and one for each weekend day, and those that do one program for all
weekdays and one program for both weekend days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 11:31*pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Bob. The two programmable thermostats I have encountered were not low
voltage (e.g. 24 volts AC) they were 'line voltage' at 230 volts AC.
Also as previously discussed on this news group there is a not only a
maximum wattage they can handle but also a minimum. In other words
they only work if there is a working heater/s connected.

The OP must take care to have the right type of thermostat; although
that should not be a problem if a proper electrical person does the
work. Was there not an instance here or somewhere when a person tried
using a low voltage thermostat, although not a programmable one, in
place of a 'line voltage' one? Thereby causing a small fire with minor
smoke damage?
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

SteveB wrote:
You want two high quality ones the power company came and installed in my
house?

Unless you have an absolutely predictable life, your unit will always run
unnecessarily, or you will have to put it on manual sometime to adjust the
temp.

Programming them is next to learning html on the learning scale. And if
anyone messes with it, you will be a while before you notice anything awry,
and in the process lose a lot of energy. Translation: cash.

I replaced them with two twenty dollar units. On - Off - Cool - Heat -
Fan - Auto.

So simple I can work it.

And if I go away for a few days, it isn't cooling or heating the whole place
with no one home. Or, I don't have to program and then reprogram them.

At first, they sounded like a good thing, but I'd never ever own another.

Steve

I like my Honeywell. I've got it set up to let the house warm up during
the summer/cool off in the winter while we're at work. If I'm home
on a weekday, I just push the override. I think it has saved me a
bundle in energy costs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 09 Sep 2008 09:47:52p, CJT told us...

SteveB wrote:
[...]

The Honeywell we have can be programmed by the day. We have it set
essentially the way you do, but I work at home on Fridays, so our Friday,
Saturday, and Sunday are programmed alike. We're generally home on the
weekend, but if not, the override to a manual setting works a treat.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 09(IX)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
8wks 6dys 1hrs 57mins
Some days you're a bug, other days a
windshield.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Programming is so awful? It's so called armchair programming with copy
feature. You take the 'stat off the wall, program it sitting at the
kitchen chair or at the desk in your den and when it's done put it back
on the wall. I can put in vacantion mode with deisred temp. I can hold
at certain for couple hours, a day or two as I wish. When batteries need
replacing after about 1.5 year, just replace them. All the program is
still there
w/o being lost. Setting back/raising temp. defnitely saves energy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 09 Sep 2008 11:03:21p, Tony Hwang told us...

SteveB wrote:
[...]

What brand/model do you have, Tony?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
8wks 5dys 17hrs 59mins
I am not a free man... but I'm reasonable!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
[...]

Our schedule was erratic, and our units ran a lot when they did not need to.
It all depends on the person. I personally don't like heating and cooling
the house for hours or days on end when I am not there. It doesn't really
take that long to kick it into gear and have the house warm or cool, and I'd
just as soon pocket that cash. While the thermostats were in use, the
highest monthly bill was $600. After that, the highest was $350.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

The Honeywell we have can be programmed by the day. We have it set
essentially the way you do, but I work at home on Fridays, so our Friday,
Saturday, and Sunday are programmed alike. We're generally home on the
weekend, but if not, the override to a manual setting works a treat.

With my current thermostat, I just leave it cool in the winter and tepid
in the summer. I occasionally change it manually, but am always worried
I'll forget to reset it, so mostly leave it alone. I'm the kind that
also uses countdown timers on heaters and fans, so that's why I'm
interested in this.

Thanks everyone for their input; I have a much better idea of what to
look for now. Fortunately we're getting into the season here where I
won't need heat or AC for a little while, so I have time to shop around.