Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low power consumption dehumidifiers $ave ?

I am looking for a low power consumption dehumidifier to cut costs. I
seen these 2 below that use only a couple hundred watts compared to
mine which uses 792 watts(30 pint). I have a 1000 Sq ft. house and
will have the unit in the basement. Would these work well. I would say
my house has the "typical"basement" . The surround air 510 says it
will remove 21 pints per day in the specs but 28 pints down lower in
the description? I used this formula to figure out I am spending
almost $60 per month to run my unit now which is 792 watts:

(watts/1000) x hours used x cents per kil. hour= operating cost
792watts/1000 x 24 hours (during summer) x10 cents(estimate)=$1.90
(24 hours) x 30 days= $57

With lower power consumption dehumidifier:

195 watts/1000 x 24 x 10= 47 cents x 30days= $14.10

http://www.startremodeling.com/dehumidifier_sa.htm
http://www.indoorhealthproducts.com/...humidifier.htm

Is this too good to be true or are these things marketing scams that
wont work well? Thanks a lot
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.startremodeling.com/dehum...humidifier.htm

Is this too good to be true or are these things marketing scams that
wont work well? Thanks a lot

I would not consider either one, I saw no Energy Star rating in
either, ES ratings are going to save you more. If you realy want a
review Consumer Reports has them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 8:18*am, chrisc wrote:
[...]

If it runs 24 hrs a day you will spend alot but I dehumidify a 600sq
ft basement for about 4$ a month with a Sears unit, to know what you
spend get Kill-a-Watt meter