Posted to alt.home.repair
sal sal is offline

Default Roof vent problem:

Hi folks. I have an problem with my roof vents in the winter, the roof is
low pitch about 4-12 the snow builds up and air from attic causes the snow
to melt creating ice dams at every vent , this can build up during winter
months and create an terrible stress load . I have been looking for taller
vents but can't seem to find any. My attic has blown in fiberglass and 10
inch glass batts over it I'm not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Sal

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Sep 7, 1:48*pm, "sal" wrote:
Hi folks. I have an problem with my roof vents in the winter, the roof is
low pitch about 4-12 *the snow builds up and air from attic causes the snow
to melt creating ice dams at every vent , this can build up during winter
months and create an terrible stress load . I have been looking for taller
vents but can't seem to find any. My attic has blown in fiberglass and *10
inch *glass batts over it I'm not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Sal

Assuming the vents are above all of the insulation and they are clear
of all debris, a small fan to ventilate the attic space would help.
But first, I'd get up there and check to see that you don't have any
holes in your insulation that are letting out excess heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 12:48*pm, "sal" wrote:
Hi folks. I have an problem with my roof vents in the winter, the roof is
low pitch about 4-12 *the snow builds up and air from attic causes the snow
to melt creating ice dams at every vent , this can build up during winter
months and create an terrible stress load . I have been looking for taller
vents but can't seem to find any. My attic has blown in fiberglass and *10
inch *glass batts over it I'm not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Sal

The problem is you have warm air leaking into the attic, fix that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 1:48*pm, "sal" wrote:
Hi folks. I have an problem with my roof vents in the winter, the roof is
low pitch about 4-12 *the snow builds up and air from attic causes the snow
to melt creating ice dams at every vent , this can build up during winter
months and create an terrible stress load . I have been looking for taller
vents but can't seem to find any. My attic has blown in fiberglass and *10
inch *glass batts over it I'm not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Sal

I would look for better air circulation. Do you have enough
venting both intake (soffit) and outgo (vents)? Do you have the total
area of each recommended for your area?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
On Sep 7, 1:48 pm, "sal" wrote:

Hi folks. I have an problem with my roof vents in the winter, the roof is
low pitch about 4-12 the snow builds up and air from attic causes the snow
to melt creating ice dams at every vent , this can build up during winter
months and create an terrible stress load . I have been looking for taller
vents but can't seem to find any. My attic has blown in fiberglass and 10
inch glass batts over it I'm not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Sal

could you put a bigger pipe around the outside of the vent pipe? or
maybe a smaller one inside of it? that would provide an air space around
the 'hot air'

paul

Roof Air vent Osprey UK diy 0 September 11th 07 02:20 PM
Range hood vent options/ self venting or vent through roof ? Mikepier Home Repair 3 September 3rd 07 06:48 AM
Roof vent [email protected] UK diy 1 December 21st 06 03:45 PM
roof vent, ridge vent or what? [email protected] Home Repair 11 May 19th 06 05:06 AM
Vent that does not need to go thru the roof? miamicuse Home Repair 4 August 22nd 05 06:56 AM