Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making Cardboard Waterproof?

Hello,

I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside
in the elements. I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it,
so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof it? Here are some
ideas:

1) What If I painted it with an oil based paint?
2) How about using epoxy glue and covering the entire inside?
3) What about coating the inside with Portland Cement?
4) I could coat the inside with tin foil, then use epoxy on the
joints?

Is there a much better idea than these?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 7:19�am, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
Hello,

I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside
in the elements. �I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it,
so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof it? �Here are some
ideas:

1) �What If I painted it with an oil based paint?
2) �How about using epoxy glue and covering the entire inside?
3) �What about coating the inside with Portland Cement?
4) �I could coat the inside with tin foil, then use epoxy on the
joints?

Is there a much better idea than these?

Thanks

It's not possible to waterproof cardboard. �I would buy some thin
sheetmetal (flashing?) and use your cardboard design as a pattern to cut
the metal.

nate- Hide quoted text -

buy PVC tank, think used 55 gallon drums.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It would help a bunch if OP told us what the heck this thing he built is
supposed to be. My gut impression isn't that it was a water tank, but
rather some sort of sculpture or yard art that he prototyped, and now
wants to avoid recreating in the proper materials.

As another poster said, painting it with fiberglass resin is the only
thing that will give more than a few days of waterproofing, but that
stuff is nasty and expensive. Finding a good tinsmith to recreate it in
copper or something would be the traditional solution.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 5:27*am, Art Todesco wrote:
wrote:
Hello,

I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside
in the elements. *I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it,
so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof it? *Here are some
ideas:

1) *What If I painted it with an oil based paint?
2) *How about using epoxy glue and covering the entire inside?
3) *What about coating the inside with Portland Cement?
4) *I could coat the inside with tin foil, then use epoxy on the
joints?

Is there a much better idea than these?

Thanks

If this is corrugated cardboard, they
make a product which is identical except
all out of plastic, trade name Coroplast
.... used for signs, etc.- Hide quoted text -

And if he waits until after the election there are tons of political
signs made from that or similar stuff.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 6:58*am, wrote:
Hello,

I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside
in the elements. *I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it,
so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof it? *Here are some
ideas:

1) *What If I painted it with an oil based paint?
2) *How about using epoxy glue and covering the entire inside?
3) *What about coating the inside with Portland Cement?
4) *I could coat the inside with tin foil, then use epoxy on the
joints?

Is there a much better idea than these?

Thanks

Are you using coragated cardboard? How long does it need to last?
Why does it have to be cardboard or could you use different
materials?

A couple of coats of a spar varnish would provide a waterproof
layer. At one time it was used to make racing shells (rowing boats)
that would last for a race or two and would be very light (fast).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Checkout OP's other posts....is this guy for real or troll?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Nah, just clueless. I think he is trying to make some backyard water
features, of the Arty sort. Back at college, they had a whole field of
art student projects like this. Most were hideous, some were
interesting, but 90% of them showed utter cluelessness about basic
metalworking and fabrication techniques. At the time, I remember
thinking they should run these kids through a semester of vo-ed school
metal shop before they started with the sculpture classes, just so they
could learn the materials and metals. I've known several artists over
the years who worked in metal. All of them could have paid the rent
working in a machine shop if they had to.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 5:58 am, wrote:
Hello,

I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside
in the elements. I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it,
so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof it? Here are some
ideas:

1) What If I painted it with an oil based paint?
2) How about using epoxy glue and covering the entire inside?
3) What about coating the inside with Portland Cement?
4) I could coat the inside with tin foil, then use epoxy on the
joints?

Is there a much better idea than these?

Thanks

Well "tin foil" is very expensive, I would use "aluminum foil"
instead. You may look into getting waxed cardboard like
what is used to ship iced seafood products. There are also
polyethylene coated cardboard containers available. One
thing I have used to waterproof speaker cones which are
essentially a type of cardboard is a polyurethane spray
produced for protecting circuit boards from moisture. You
can get it from an electronic supply house. A company
called Techspray http://www.techspray.com/ makes
several types of coatings including one made from Acrylic
which may be the least expensive.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

It's not possible to waterproof cardboard. I would buy some thin
sheetmetal (flashing?) and use your cardboard design as a pattern to cut
the metal.

nate

Tell that to the guys at Hiroshima Danboru.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

As another poster said, painting it with fiberglass resin is the only
thing that will give more than a few days of waterproofing, but that
stuff is nasty and expensive.

not really.System Three sells a trial kit for $10PPD,and RAKA sells a
1.5 Qt. kit for $25,last time I checked.

Finding a good tinsmith to recreate it
in copper or something would be the traditional solution.

--
aem sends...

and after glassing it,it will need some sort of UV protection,like paint.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

It's not possible to waterproof cardboard. I would buy some thin
sheetmetal (flashing?) and use your cardboard design as a pattern
cut the metal.

nate

Tell that to the guys at Hiroshima Danboru.

They make waterproof cardboard, they don't make cardboard waterproof.

(hint--it's a lot easier when you do it while you're making the
cardboard than it is to add it on afterwards)

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Tell that to the guys at Hiroshima Danboru.

They make waterproof cardboard, they don't make cardboard waterproof.

(hint--it's a lot easier when you do it while you're making the
cardboard than it is to add it on afterwards)

--

Afterwards it is either curtain coated or wax dipped, but neither is easily
done by a homeowner. Seafood containers use was dipped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Tell that to the guys at Hiroshima Danboru.

They make waterproof cardboard, they don't make cardboard waterproof.

(hint--it's a lot easier when you do it while you're making the
cardboard than it is to add it on afterwards)

--

Afterwards it is either curtain coated or wax dipped, but neither is
easily done by a homeowner. Seafood containers use was dipped.

boatbuilding epoxy will soak into cardboard surfaces well,but getting the
edges or corrugations sealed is another matter.
I guess that would be "water-resistant"....

try System Three,West System,or RAKA epoxies.
I use RAKA.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to samadams_2006, Nicole wrote:
samadams_2006 wrote:

Hello,
I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside
in the elements. I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it,
so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof it?

Try this...
Acrylic Elastomeric Roof Coating

You can get it in clear.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...of-329735-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

samadams_2006 wrote:

Hello,
I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside
in the elements. I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it,
so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof it?

Try this...
Acrylic Elastomeric Roof Coating

You can get it in clear.

Posted from homeowners hub
posted on
September 7, 2008, 6:58 am

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

samadams_2006 wrote:

Hello,
I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside
in the elements. I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it,
so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof it?

Try this...
Acrylic Elastomeric Roof Coating

You can get it in clear.

I'd transfer it to plastic sheet and use that instead.

My two thoughts are that stuff that cheap shower liners are made of (and
is sometimes used to line commercial kitchens etc.) or else that
corrugated stuff that is used for political advertisement signs.
Corro-something, I think.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
samadams_2006 wrote:
Hello,
I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside
in the elements. I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it,
so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof it?

Try this...
Acrylic Elastomeric Roof Coating

You can get it in clear.

OR

HC® Concrete Sealer Clear Gloss Oil-Based
Put on two Coat
A late Coat first

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...loss_oilbased/