DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   stuck washer on toilet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/259630-stuck-washer-toilet.html)

Lynettel September 7th 08 05:01 AM

stuck washer on toilet

The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit is
stuck or glued on..
How do get if off ?

Smitty Two September 7th 08 05:07 AM

stuck washer on toilet

In article 89d18911c9777@uwe, "Lynettel" u46027@uwe wrote:

The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit is
stuck or glued on..
How do get if off ?

Put a small screwdriver blade against it and tap the handle of the
screwdriver lightly with a small hammer.

Lynettel September 7th 08 05:46 AM

stuck washer on toilet

Smitty Two wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit is
stuck or glued on..
How do get if off ?

Put a small screwdriver blade against it and tap the handle of the
screwdriver lightly with a small hammer.

I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

[email protected] September 7th 08 01:15 PM

stuck washer on toilet

On Sep 6, 11:46*pm, "Lynettel" u46027@uwe wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit is
stuck or glued on..
How do *get if off ?

Put a small screwdriver blade against it and tap the handle of the
screwdriver lightly with a small hammer.

I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

put a vise clamp on the nut and twist counterclockwise. the nut is
usually thick enough to be grapped securely by a vise clamp. You may
need to hold onto the contraption inside the tank to keep it from
turning.

[email protected] September 7th 08 01:20 PM

stuck washer on toilet

Smitty Two wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit is
stuck or glued on..
How do *get if off ?

Put a small screwdriver blade against it and tap the handle of the
screwdriver lightly with a small hammer.

I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

put a vise clamp on the nut and twist counterclockwise. *the nut is
usually thick enough to be grapped securely by a vise clamp. *You may
need to hold onto the contraption inside the tank to keep it from
turning.

Oops, I meant to say "clockwise" instead of " counterclockwise"!

Flatus Johnson September 7th 08 02:48 PM

stuck washer on toilet

"Lynettel" u46027@uwe wrote in message news:89d18911c9777@uwe...
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit
is
stuck or glued on..
How do get if off ?

Are you sure it's a washer and not part of the flush valve?

Lynettel via HomeKB.com September 7th 08 04:57 PM

stuck washer on toilet

Flatus Johnson wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit
is
stuck or glued on..
How do get if off ?

Are you sure it's a washer and not part of the flush valve?

It is the flapper unit that goes thru the tank, the threaded LOCK NUT (sorry)
not a washer that is on the our side of the bottom of the tank.

Lynettel via HomeKB.com September 7th 08 05:01 PM

stuck washer on toilet

wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit is
stuck or glued on..

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

put a vise clamp on the nut and twist counterclockwise. the nut is
usually thick enough to be grapped securely by a vise clamp. You may
need to hold onto the contraption inside the tank to keep it from
turning.

I don'thave a vise clamp /

Lynettel via HomeKB.com September 7th 08 05:05 PM

stuck washer on toilet

wrote:
On Sep 7, 7:15Â*am, wrote:

The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit is
stuck or glued on..

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
need to hold onto the contraption inside the tank to keep it from
turning.

Oops, I meant to say "clockwise" instead of " counterclockwise

It is the LOCK NUT, not a washer that is stuck (Sorry)

Smitty Two September 7th 08 05:12 PM

stuck washer on toilet

In article 89d7d2c92cce0@uwe, "Lynettel via HomeKB.com" u46027@uwe

The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper
unit is
stuck or glued on..

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

put a vise clamp on the nut and twist counterclockwise. the nut is
usually thick enough to be grapped securely by a vise clamp. You may
need to hold onto the contraption inside the tank to keep it from
turning.

I don'thave a vise clamp /

Well, whatever you use, remember that threads can seem to be backwards
when they're upside down. Turn an empty jar upside down and unscrew the
lid, to get a feel for what you're going to be doing with that nut.

[email protected] September 7th 08 05:18 PM

stuck washer on toilet

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 15:57:30 GMT, "Lynettel via HomeKB.com"
u46027@uwe wrote:

Flatus Johnson wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit
is
stuck or glued on..
How do get if off ?

Are you sure it's a washer and not part of the flush valve?

It is the flapper unit that goes thru the tank, the threaded LOCK NUT (sorry)
not a washer that is on the our side of the bottom of the tank.

As others have said. Tap it lightly with a hammer and punch in the
correct direction to loosen it. If the assembly inside moves while
tapping then jam something against it so that it can not move.

If nothing else take a Dremel and cut the nut away as long as you
can get the replacement parts needed.

Dan Espen September 7th 08 05:18 PM

stuck washer on toilet

"Lynettel via HomeKB.com" u46027@uwe writes:

wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit is
stuck or glued on..

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

put a vise clamp on the nut and twist counterclockwise. the nut is
usually thick enough to be grapped securely by a vise clamp. You may
need to hold onto the contraption inside the tank to keep it from
turning.

I don'thave a vise clamp /

A Vise Clamp doesn't sound like the right tool.
At least as far as what Google returns.

I think you may want are Channel Lock pliers.

One thing to think about.
When you repair stuff yourself, you usually save a LOT of money.
Sometimes you don't because you go out and buy a tool.
But, you have that tool for the rest of your life.

Try a local hardware store and tell them what you want to do.
They'll know the right tool.

Lynettel via HomeKB.com September 7th 08 05:34 PM

stuck washer on toilet

wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit
is

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
It is the flapper unit that goes thru the tank, the threaded LOCK NUT (sorry)
not a washer that is on the our side of the bottom of the tank.

As others have said. Tap it lightly with a hammer and punch in the
correct direction to loosen it. If the assembly inside moves while
tapping then jam something against it so that it can not move.

If nothing else take a Dremel and cut the nut away as long as you
can get the replacement parts needed.

I already have the parts, I just can't get the Lock Nut off, I will give the
hammer a try.

Lynettel via HomeKB.com September 7th 08 05:53 PM

stuck washer on toilet

wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit
is

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
It is the flapper unit that goes thru the tank, the threaded LOCK NUT (sorry)
not a washer that is on the our side of the bottom of the tank.

As others have said. Tap it lightly with a hammer and punch in the
correct direction to loosen it. If the assembly inside moves while
tapping then jam something against it so that it can not move.

If nothing else take a Dremel and cut the nut away as long as you
can get the replacement parts needed.

YEA ! Tapping a large screwdriver with a hammer worked, Looks like there was
yellow wax on the threads.
Thanks !!!!!

Flatus Johnson September 7th 08 07:01 PM

stuck washer on toilet

"Lynettel via HomeKB.com" u46027@uwe wrote in message
wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper
unit
is

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
It is the flapper unit that goes thru the tank, the threaded LOCK NUT
(sorry)
not a washer that is on the our side of the bottom of the tank.

As others have said. Tap it lightly with a hammer and punch in the
correct direction to loosen it. If the assembly inside moves while
tapping then jam something against it so that it can not move.

If nothing else take a Dremel and cut the nut away as long as you
can get the replacement parts needed.

YEA ! Tapping a large screwdriver with a hammer worked,

Looks like there was
yellow wax on the threads.
Thanks !!!!!

You know that's not "yellow wax" ...........

Lynettel via HomeKB.com September 7th 08 11:25 PM

stuck washer on toilet

Flatus Johnson wrote:
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper
unit

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
can get the replacement parts needed.

YEA ! Tapping a large screwdriver with a hammer worked,

Looks like there was
yellow wax on the threads.
Thanks !!!!!

You know that's not "yellow wax" ...........

Right, it was a rubberband type thing ???