DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stuck flapper washer (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/259625-stuck-flapper-washer.html)

Lynettel September 7th 08 01:17 AM

Stuck flapper washer

I am replaceing the flapper kit on the toilet, the plastic washer on the
bottom of the tank is stuck...
How can I get it off with out breaking it ?

propman[_2_] September 7th 08 02:49 AM

Stuck flapper washer

"Lynettel" u46027@uwe wrote in news:89cf95587dd48@uwe:

I am replaceing the flapper kit on the toilet, the plastic washer on the
bottom of the tank is stuck...
How can I get it off with out breaking it ?

Have you removed (seperated) the tank (cistern) from the base?

Lynettel September 7th 08 02:55 AM

Stuck flapper washer

propman wrote:
I am replaceing the flapper kit on the toilet, the plastic washer on the
bottom of the tank is stuck...
How can I get it off with out breaking it ?

Have you removed (seperated) the tank (cistern) from the base?

Yes, the plastic washer on the bottom of the outside tank won't budge....

propman[_2_] September 8th 08 03:35 AM

Stuck flapper washer

"Lynettel" u46027@uwe wrote in news:89d070417b41d@uwe:

propman wrote:
I am replaceing the flapper kit on the toilet, the plastic washer on
the bottom of the tank is stuck...
How can I get it off with out breaking it ?

Have you removed (seperated) the tank (cistern) from the base?

Yes, the plastic washer on the bottom of the outside tank won't
budge....

Some of the things I would try:

pipe wrench....see if it will go in the tightning direction too;
sometimes there is a bit more play by doing this proceedure and it will
break the bond of whatever is binding. Work the nut a little at a time
in both directions.
some kind of lubricant such as WD40 (let it sit awhile so it migrates)
CLR wash for mineral deposits
Gently heating with hair dryer
Gently tapping the nut (not only helps with bond breaking but also
lubricate migration)