Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman mitre saw problem

Hello. I have a craftsman 10" sliding compound mitre saw.

When set for a 45 degree bevel, the blade strikes the left plastic table
insert. There is no adjustment possible on the saw, and it looks as if
it would slice at least 1/4 " off the radius of the insert. All other
angles, dangles and bojangles do not interfere with the table inserts.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what is the workaround?

Thanks in advance

FRS

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Finlay Spicer wrote:
Hello. I have a craftsman 10" sliding compound mitre saw.

When set for a 45 degree bevel, the blade strikes the left plastic table
insert. There is no adjustment possible on the saw, and it looks as if
it would slice at least 1/4 " off the radius of the insert. All other
angles, dangles and bojangles do not interfere with the table inserts.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what is the workaround?

Don't have the particular saw, but it's not at all uncommon for saw
inserts in general to be cast for the 90-deg position and require
cutting to accommodate the full range of blade travel.

IOW, I'd guess it's WAD or a "feature", not a problem.

One could make another sacrificial insert if didn't want to cut the
original or I'm sure there are replacements available from Sears so can
have one dedicated to 45-deg work if desired...

Posted to alt.home.repair

That is just one of the many unwanted features available on Craftsman
tools for only a modest price increase over other quality brands.

G.S.

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 18:27:59 GMT, Finlay Spicer
wrote:

Hello. I have a craftsman 10" sliding compound mitre saw.

When set for a 45 degree bevel, the blade strikes the left plastic table
insert. There is no adjustment possible on the saw, and it looks as if
it would slice at least 1/4 " off the radius of the insert. All other
angles, dangles and bojangles do not interfere with the table inserts.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what is the workaround?

Thanks in advance

FRS

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello. I have a craftsman 10" sliding compound mitre saw.

When set for a 45 degree bevel, the blade strikes the left plastic table
insert. There is no adjustment possible on the saw, and it looks as if
it would slice at least 1/4 " off the radius of the insert. All other
angles, dangles and bojangles do not interfere with the table inserts.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what is the workaround?

Thanks in advance

FRS

Does the saw have a 50-deg bevel, maybe bevel stops to adjust? The
story IS don't buy a miter saw you cannot "tune-up".

See if your blade bevel is 45-degree with a speed square.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 6, 1:27*pm, Finlay Spicer wrote:
Hello. I have a craftsman 10" sliding compound mitre saw.

My deepest sympathies.

When set for a 45 degree bevel, the blade strikes the left plastic table
insert. *There is no adjustment possible on the saw, and it looks as if
it would slice at least 1/4 " off the radius of the insert. *All other
angles, dangles and bojangles do not interfere with the table inserts.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what is the workaround?

Thanks in advance

FRS

Don't waste another minute on this turkey. Get a new or used Hitachi
10" sliding compound saw (Amazon, eBay) and sell yours on Craigslist
or the PenneySaver so that someone else can have fun with it. A miter
saw has to be adjustable to very small angles for doing any real
cabinetry or crown moulding work without winding up with bunches of
unusable scrap. Personally, I use a Bosch 12" beast and do a lot of
compound angle framing work on a current house project. It has all
manner of adjustments and holds them perfectly without hacking into
the insert. DeWalt is cheaper, but with less finesse. Having a decent
miter saw lets you use your table saw for what is good at. i would
never have a shop without both.
Bottom line, buy a decent tool to do decent work. Remember, you're
amortizing the cost over maybe 30 years, so buy cheap and buy often
isn't very wise.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Finlay Spicer" wrote in message
Hello. I have a craftsman 10" sliding compound mitre saw.

When set for a 45 degree bevel, the blade strikes the left plastic
table insert. There is no adjustment possible on the saw, and it
looks as if it would slice at least 1/4 " off the radius of the
insert. All other angles, dangles and bojangles do not interfere
with the table inserts.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what is the
workaround?

Thanks in advance

FRS

This proves my grandfather's saying:

"Buy something of good quality, it only hurts once, when you pay for
it.
Buy something cheap and it hurts every time you use it."

Makes sense to me.