Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stopping leaks into basement

well, it's raining here (no big surprise) and I finally have gotten a
chance to observe the beginnings of the water intrusion into my
basement, rather than coming home and finding a puddle on the floor.

I've localized the water entry to two places - one, it's coming in
underneath a window that's hidden under my deck, and two, it's also
coming in through the wall somewhere above the bottom of the floor
joists for the first floor.

I know that the window needs to be addressed by a professional (or at
least a DIYer more experienced than I.) I suspect that the other water
is coming in behind the large board that's attached to the outside wall
of the house to support my deck. I'm thinking that flashing between the
decking boards and the framing is probably the answer here? Any
tips/how-tos on how to do this on a brick wall? I was planning on
redoing the decking boards anyway next year so this is not a huge deal.

nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote

least a DIYer more experienced than I.) I suspect that the other water is
coming in behind the large board that's attached to the outside wall of
the house to support my deck. I'm thinking that flashing between the
decking boards and the framing is probably the answer here? Any
tips/how-tos on how to do this on a brick wall? I was planning on redoing
the decking boards anyway next year so this is not a huge deal.

If you are re-doing it soonish, then I'd apply a large amount of caulking
around that area for now.