Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost of Toilet

A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat in Atlanta wrote:
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed.
Does this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

If labor only, no. If the quote includes the fixture, possibly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 09:10:38 -0400, Pat in Atlanta wrote:
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

It depends on the toilet. A cheap one sells for between $120 and $350.
Requires about an hour of labor to swap it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

NOPE. I'd say a hundred plus the cost of the toilet would be way past
enough.

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 8:10*am, "Pat in Atlanta" wrote:
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. *Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

It takes 30 minutes to install one

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

If a new install that rq running water supply and waste line, not bad. If
replacing an existing fixture, a bit on the high side -- even if price
includes the toilet fixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Flatus Johnson" wrote
"Pat in Atlanta" wrote

A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed.
Does this sound reasonable?

If a new install that rq running water supply and waste line, not bad. If
replacing an existing fixture, a bit on the high side -- even if price
includes the toilet fixture.

Agreed if it's a new one where lines have to be run (infact, could be good
deal there depending on trap lines and if it's a slab or basement!).

If it's a replacement, depends on the situation a bit. Say cabinet work or
other finishing needed might add up more so the 550$ may not be that far off
if replacing with a wheelchair accessable one with rails (they tend to run
closer to 350$ at cheapest and require more labor).

A normal install though to replace one, about 100-150$ here and includes
haulage fees to the dump of the old one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat in Atlanta wrote:
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

It's been a couple of years but my plumber charged $300 for a standard
Toto and $400 for a higher quality one. With inflation, I would guess
price is OK for a higher quality unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

I just bought an Eljer 091-0777 toilet $307 and the lid/seat $46. The
$550 sounds low, so I would question the brand/model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

I have replaced two.
One took 20 minutes. $550 seems high.
The other had thoroughly corroded bolts and was a real PITA. $550, maybe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jack wrote:
"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

I have replaced two.
One took 20 minutes. $550 seems high.
The other had thoroughly corroded bolts and was a real PITA. $550, maybe.

I tried to put back one that plumber had to remove to access pipes in
wall. I discovered what a lot of first time toilet installers have
discovered - if you torque down bolts too tight, you'll crack the
porcelain, ruining the toilet. This is a plumbing job I now leave to
the professionals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

Need more information. A toilet can run from about $120 to $1000. Is he
supplying both labor and fixture? The labor should be closer to $100.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:10:38 -0400, Pat in Atlanta wrote:

A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed.
Does this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

I think it's obscene!

Walk into Home Depot and price a wax ring mounting kit. Measure the supply
line that comes to the bottom of your toilet so you know what length line
to get. Price a new gate valve to shut off the water supply to the toilet
in case you need to replace the flush mechanism in the future. Then price
the tank and bowl in the back of the store. It comes with new flush valve
and parts to put the tank on the bowl. Store employee will help you find
all these items and load them on a cart for you. Help you put it in the
trunk of your car if need be.

Locate the water shutoff for the whole house so you can point it out when
required.

Then look in the local newspaper for insured handyman service. Pick up the
phone and get some prices to remove and install toilet. Accept no hourly
rates, flat rate only. Let them know what you have for parts that you have
purchased. Pick up some good rubber gloves and make that part of the
offering but don't expect a discount because of the offer for this job.

I always make sure we have plenty of popsicles in the plastic tubes from
dollar store that you freeze and sodas on hand in warm weather for
handymen services that I've hired to trim trees or help around the house
and am generous with keeping cold refreshments available at all times.

You may have to break up the old porcelain parts and bury them in the back
yard if handyman has no way of disposal. He may help here also, so ask
about disposal at time of quote.

I had two toilets replaced and recommend getting as high a seat position
as you can, so you don't feel as if you are getting up from the floor as
you grow older if you don't have toddlers around. I got prices at Home
Depot and Lowe's because they were across the street from each other.
Home Depot was more reasonable at the time, but times change. YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We would charge you around $100 labor, + toilet and other materials. If we
run into problems you pay $50.00 per hour to resolve them. Problems that we
often run into are broken toilet floor flange, old galvanized pipes, too
much caulking at the base of the toilet which could make it harder to
remove.

We also have extra fees for P.I.A. customers and filthy bathrooms. If you
have **** all over your toilet we may just leave-----Yes this happens to us.

We are located in Arizona.

cm

"Pat in Atlanta" wrote in message
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
Pat in Atlanta wrote:
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed.
Does
this sound reasonable?
Thank you.

I wouldn't pay over $60.00 for a toilet and install it myself.

I haven't seen any difference between a $69.00 toilet and a $450.00
toilet.

Once you install a Toto you'll NEVER go back to a $69 toilet. You'll throw
out your plunger, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have 4 identical kohler 'wellworth' toilets in 3 different houses and they
all cost $100 ea. Never used a plunger on any of them either.

"h" wrote in message

Once you install a Toto you'll NEVER go back to a $69 toilet. You'll throw
out your plunger, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
I have 4 identical kohler 'wellworth' toilets in 3 different houses and
they all cost $100 ea. Never used a plunger on any of them either.

How long ago did you pay $100?

Seems they are considerably more now.
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...le&category=13

Cheapest I've seen them is $156 and up to $450

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 10:02 pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
They were still a hundred and eighteen about 5 weeks ago. Last time i was
at the big box. I'll check again tomorrow when i go for studs.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
m...
I have 4 identical kohler 'wellworth' toilets in 3 different houses and
they all cost $100 ea. Never used a plunger on any of them either.

How long ago did you pay $100?

Seems they are considerably more now.
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...?groupid=54430...

Cheapest I've seen them is $156 and up to $450

Sounds right. The last time I got one it was around $115. A good
"rule of thumb" is that a good retail price on Kohler is about 40% off
list price.

JK