Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit Breaker Too Hot?

I have a 30amp 240 volt circuit breaker for the heater in a hot tub.

With the circuit breaker off, the case temperature is 83 deg F (the
ambient temperature) measured with an IR temperature sensor.

I turn on the breaker and the hot tub. After about 10 minutes,
the case temperature is 99 deg F.

Does this sound normal?

The breaker doesn't trip, but I don't have a reading on actual
current flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Streets" wrote in message
news
I have a 30amp 240 volt circuit breaker for the heater in a hot tub.

With the circuit breaker off, the case temperature is 83 deg F (the
ambient temperature) measured with an IR temperature sensor.

I turn on the breaker and the hot tub. After about 10 minutes,
the case temperature is 99 deg F.

Does this sound normal?

The breaker doesn't trip, but I don't have a reading on actual
current flow.

I don't know the exect temperature rise you should be getting , but it is
probably normal. Fuses and breakers work on temperature rise. They
introduce a small resistance in the circuit and heat up as more current is
drawn. When they reach a predetermined temperature, the fuse element will
melt or the breaker will trip.
Even the wires going to the hot tub heater will get hot. The temperature
rise will be of a safe value if the wiring is sized correctly and the
insulation of the wire is rated for it.

If you look at a fuse or breaker chart, you will see that they do not trip
at exectally what they are rated for . That is your 30 amp breaker may trip
in two days if you draw 30.5 amps and one hour if you draw 32 amps and in 30
seconds if you draw 34 amps and maybe 5 seconds if you draw 50 amps.
You have to look at the chart to see exectally how long it will take to trip
depending on the current.
Also the temperture around the breaker will have a small effect on the time.
If it is very hot, (say a breaker box in the sun) they could trip at 25 amps
instead of 30.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Streets wrote:
I have a 30amp 240 volt circuit breaker for the heater in a hot tub.

With the circuit breaker off, the case temperature is 83 deg F (the
ambient temperature) measured with an IR temperature sensor.

I turn on the breaker and the hot tub. After about 10 minutes,
the case temperature is 99 deg F.

Does this sound normal?

The breaker doesn't trip, but I don't have a reading on actual
current flow.

Don't know about the exact temp but a CB can be warm to the touch.
Make sure all the connections are tight and that you have the proper
size wire. Minimum size for 30A breaker is #10.
You might want to check the name plate labels on the heater to verify
that the breaker/wiring is sized properly.
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 7:19*pm, "The Streets"
wrote:
I have a 30amp 240 volt circuit breaker for the heater in a hot tub.

With the circuit breaker off, the case temperature is 83 deg F (the
ambient temperature) measured with an IR temperature sensor.

I turn on the breaker and the hot tub. After about 10 minutes,
the case temperature is 99 deg F.

Does this sound normal?

The breaker doesn't trip, but I don't have a reading on actual
current flow.

Could be normal, I f it was bothering me I would check my hot tub
manual to find out the reccomended size of the breaker. Mine was wired
wrong with a 30A breaker when it should have been a 50A and it would
get fairly warm but it did not trip.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 6:19*pm, "The Streets"
wrote:
I have a 30amp 240 volt circuit breaker for the heater in a hot tub.

With the circuit breaker off, the case temperature is 83 deg F (the
ambient temperature) measured with an IR temperature sensor.

I turn on the breaker and the hot tub. After about 10 minutes,
the case temperature is 99 deg F.

Does this sound normal?

The breaker doesn't trip, but I don't have a reading on actual
current flow.

It should not be that warm, maybe the HT has a short,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 6:19*pm, "The Streets"
wrote:
I have a 30amp 240 volt circuit breaker for the heater in a hot tub.

With the circuit breaker off, the case temperature is 83 deg F (the
ambient temperature) measured with an IR temperature sensor.

I turn on the breaker and the hot tub. After about 10 minutes,
the case temperature is 99 deg F.

Does this sound normal?

The breaker doesn't trip, but I don't have a reading on actual
current flow.

Check amp draw with a clamp on meter