DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Broken light switch (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/259383-broken-light-switch.html)

Anna[_2_] September 3rd 08 11:22 PM

Broken light switch

I recently moved into an older house. There is a light switch by the
front door that doesn't seem to do anything. All the light fixtures
inside and outside have good bulbs in them and switch on and off.

Why would there be a switch by the door with no light?

TIA

Anna

dadiOH[_3_] September 3rd 08 11:28 PM

Broken light switch

Anna wrote:
I recently moved into an older house. There is a light switch by the
front door that doesn't seem to do anything. All the light fixtures
inside and outside have good bulbs in them and switch on and off.

Why would there be a switch by the door with no light?

It may switch one half of a duplex outlet so that when you come in you can
turn on a lamp plugged into that outlet.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

J. Clarke September 3rd 08 11:32 PM

Broken light switch

Anna wrote:
I recently moved into an older house. There is a light switch by the
front door that doesn't seem to do anything. All the light fixtures
inside and outside have good bulbs in them and switch on and off.

Why would there be a switch by the door with no light?

It may work an outlet into which it is intended that a lamp be
plugged.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Steve Barker DLT September 3rd 08 11:48 PM

Broken light switch

Is there a ceiling fixture in that room? I have one rental that has a false
ceiling in it and when they re-did it, they didn't bother to put the ceiling
fixture back in the room. HA HA, they just left the dam thing laying on
top the new sheetrock... Found it when i rewired.

John Grabowski September 4th 08 12:11 AM

Broken light switch

"Anna" wrote in message
I recently moved into an older house. There is a light switch by the front
door that doesn't seem to do anything. All the light fixtures inside and
outside have good bulbs in them and switch on and off.

Why would there be a switch by the door with no light?

As others mentioned there could be a wall receptacle controlled by that
switch. Since it is an older house anything is possible. I've opened up
switches in homes only to find that no wires are connected to them. There
may have been some additional lighting outside that was eliminated at some
point. Like someone else mentioned there may have been a ceiling fixture
that was eliminated and the ceiling electrical box was covered over. When
you do some remodeling you may find out what it is for.

RBM[_2_] September 4th 08 12:19 AM

Broken light switch

"Anna" wrote in message
I recently moved into an older house. There is a light switch by the front
door that doesn't seem to do anything. All the light fixtures inside and
outside have good bulbs in them and switch on and off.

Why would there be a switch by the door with no light?

TIA

Anna

As others have said, it could be for a switched outlet or half outlet. It
could also be for a switched outdoor outlet, possibly used for Christmas
lights, or possibly for a future post lamp that never materialized

Rudy September 4th 08 12:21 AM

Broken light switch

Look around OUTSIDE near the eaves of the home. Our place (and our last one
also) had two outdoor duplex outlets up near the gutters that were intended
to be used to plug in Xmas lights. Switch(es) were inside

Cheri September 4th 08 12:58 AM

Broken light switch

"Anna" wrote in message
I recently moved into an older house. There is a light switch by the

front
door that doesn't seem to do anything. All the light fixtures inside

and
outside have good bulbs in them and switch on and off.

Why would there be a switch by the door with no light?

TIA

Anna

Good question. There was one of those in this house when we bought it
many years ago. It's on the inside by the slider that goes to the
patio, but I've never found out what it's for. :-)

Cheri

Walter R. September 4th 08 05:48 AM

Broken light switch

My inoperative switch actually led to a transformer for low voltage outdoor
lights. Lights had been long removed, huge transformer was still in the
attic.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Stormin Mormon September 4th 08 03:09 PM

Broken light switch

Might switch a wall outlet on the other side of the room. I've seen that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus