Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moving a gas dryer about 20 feet

Hi,

I would like to move my gas dryer about 20 feet. Is it OK to use a
longer flexible pipe? Or is there a limitation on how long the
flexible part is allowed to be?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I would like to move my gas dryer about 20 feet. Is it OK to use a
longer flexible pipe? Or is there a limitation on how long the
flexible part is allowed to be?

Many thanks in advance,

Can you use 6" PVC? The smooth innards will present less resistance to the
fuzz.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to move my gas dryer about 20 feet. Is it OK to use a
longer flexible pipe? Or is there a limitation on how long the
flexible part is allowed to be?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Are you talking gas supply line or exhaust line? Not sure of what code is--
but I don't think I'd want 20' of flimsy flex tubing for a gas line in the
house where my wife and kids slept....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:03:16 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

I would like to move my gas dryer about 20 feet. Is it OK to use a
longer flexible pipe? Or is there a limitation on how long the
flexible part is allowed to be?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Use smooth metal tubing and use metallic tape to cover all the inside
seams and joints. Flexible pipe creates turbulance and will more
likely catch lint. Flex vinyl tubes should not be used for a dryer
vent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

I would like to move my gas dryer about 20 feet. Is it OK to use a
longer flexible pipe? Or is there a limitation on how long the
flexible part is allowed to be?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Use smooth metal tubing and use metallic tape to cover all the inside
seams and joints. � Flexible pipe creates turbulance and will more
likely catch lint. �Flex vinyl tubes should not be used for a dryer
vent.

i replaced a section of that supposedly flamable plastic exhaust line
when replacing a friends dryer.

took it out on the driveway and attempted to set fire to a small piece
first using a lighter, it just turned brown.

then tried my propane torch, it didnt light either.

i expected a ball of fire, all it did was turn brown

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 12:27*pm, "Flatus Johnson" fj@nonet wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

I would like to move my gas dryer about 20 feet. Is it OK to use a
longer flexible pipe? Or is there a limitation on how long the
flexible part is allowed to be?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Are you talking gas supply line or exhaust line? Not sure of what code is-- *
but I don't think I'd want 20' of flimsy flex tubing for a gas line in the
house where my wife and kids slept....

thats about right.... you can extend the vent if you want 20 feet by
upsizing it an inch or so... the gas line needs to be schedule 40
steel, secured to the wall, last 20 inches or so can be flex.

Phil scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

I would like to move my gas dryer about 20 feet. Is it OK to use a
longer flexible pipe? Or is there a limitation on how long the
flexible part is allowed to be?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Are you talking gas supply line or exhaust line? Not sure of what code is-- �
but I don't think I'd want 20' of flimsy flex tubing for a gas line in the
house where my wife and kids slept....

thats about right.... you can extend the vent if you want 20 feet by
upsizing it an inch or so... the gas line needs to be schedule 40
steel, secured to the wall, last 20 inches or so can be flex.

Phil scott- Hide quoted text -

longer exhaust line equals longer drying time even with upsized line,
plus larger linew may accumulate more lint, requiring more frequent
disassembly and cleaning.

so you will be using more energy, spending more money, and have a new
job.

worse theres a max length for exhaust lines whats the current length?
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can also install a booster fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bad post on my part! I meant the gas line. (The exhaust is getting cut
by two thirds.)

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think if you go to a real plumbing supply house, they will have flexible
gas supply lines for what you want to do. It's not the same type of flimsy
brass-colored ridged flexible gas line that you might have now for the last
couple of feet that connects to the dryer. It's a bright yellow
plastic-covered flexible gas supply line. When I had a new gas heater put
in, that's what they used as the supply line and mine is about 15 feet long.
A plumber recently told me that's pretty much all they use these days -- not
lengths of rigid threaded pipe sections like I was always used to seeing for
gas supply lines.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Bad post on my part! I meant the gas line. (The exhaust is getting cut
by two thirds.)

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Bad post on my part! I meant the gas line. (The exhaust is getting cut
by two thirds.)

Thanks!

No code I am aware of allows 20 feet of flex line, nor do I know of any
manufacturer who makes one that long. You will need to extend the gas line
in whatever kind of pipe it presently is or whatever kind is required for
the area it is running thru. You will most likely need black iron pipe,
especially if it runs thru an area where it might be damaged. Your local gas
company has the best advice. Don't install it in any way that they do not
approve of and you will be fine.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

The gas company even uses flexible gas lines underground for some
installations. I remember seeing them use some sort of ditch-witch device
that pulled flexible gas lines underground when they were running gas lines
from building to building on a 5 acre site where I worked.

I just did a Google search for "flexible gas pipe" (without the quotes) and
a lot of info comes up. The first item that came up when I did this search
was
http://www.askthebuilder.com/296_Fle...Serious_.shtml
, and there were many more.

"Don Young" wrote in message
webinternetservicesprovideinc...
No code I am aware of allows 20 feet of flex line, nor do I know of any
manufacturer who makes one that long. You will need to extend the gas line
in whatever kind of pipe it presently is or whatever kind is required for
the area it is running thru. You will most likely need black iron pipe,
especially if it runs thru an area where it might be damaged. Your local
gas company has the best advice. Don't install it in any way that they do
not approve of and you will be fine.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

I would like to move my gas dryer about 20 feet. Is it OK to use a
longer flexible pipe? Or is there a limitation on how long the
flexible part is allowed to be?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Use smooth metal tubing and use metallic tape to cover all the inside
seams and joints. * Flexible pipe creates turbulance and will more
likely catch lint. *Flex vinyl tubes should not be used for a dryer
vent.

Seems like the OP is 'shortening' the exhaust pipe??????

And; lengthening the gas supply pipe???????

So some of our comments based on the original posting from which you
could assume anything, are inappropriate!

It's another case of "What you assumed I meant is not what I assumed
you would understand from what I thought I had said"!

It's like some of those threads where someone posts an electrical
problem and everybody willingly responds based on a North American
voltage of 115 volts 60 hertz and single phase!

Then three postings later the OP says something along the lines of;
"Oh, I happen to be Spain and the voltage is 230 volts 50 hertz and
it's 3 phase"! (Delta or wye, by the way?). Struth!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 7:21*pm, "alta47" wrote:
The gas company even uses flexible gas lines underground for some
installations. *I remember seeing them use some sort of ditch-witch device
that pulled flexible gas lines underground when they were running gas lines
from building to building on a 5 acre site where I worked.

I just did a Google search for "flexible gas pipe" (without the quotes) and
a lot of info comes up. *The first item that came up when I did this search
washttp://www.askthebuilder.com/296_Flexible_Gas_Lines-_Are_You_Serious_....
, and there were many more.

"Don Young" wrote in message

webinternetservicesprovideinc...

No code I am aware of allows 20 feet of flex line, nor do I know of any
manufacturer who makes one that long. You will need to extend the gas line
in whatever kind of pipe it presently is or whatever kind is required for
the area it is running thru. You will most likely need black iron pipe,
especially if it runs thru an area where it might be damaged. Your local
gas company has the best advice. Don't install it in any way that they do
not approve of and you will be fine.

Don Young- Hide quoted text -

thats cross linked polymer material, very heavy, tough and
expensive..used because it wont corrode, crack or break ...and it
bends...its a fast install..... but it has to be underground. Not
suitable above ground because it melts in a fire.

Phil scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

"phil scott" wrote in message

thats cross linked polymer material, very heavy, tough and
expensive..used because it wont corrode, crack or break ...and it
bends...its a fast install..... but it has to be underground. Not
suitable above ground because it melts in a fire.
------------------------

Thanks. I guess that's what they used in the underground installation that
I saw.

But, I have a 15-foot (+/-) bright yellow "plastic?" flexible gas supply
line in the basement of a property I own. It was installed a few years ago
when I had a new gas boiler/heater installed to replace the oil-fired boiler
for the cast iron radiator heating system in the home. So, I know these
exist, and I know they are code compliant. Some of the links I found when I
did the Google search seemed to show the same type of bright yellow flexible
gas supply lines for in-home use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"alta47" wrote in message
. ..

But, I have a 15-foot (+/-) bright yellow "plastic?" flexible gas supply
line in the basement of a property I own. It was installed a few years
ago when I had a new gas boiler/heater installed to replace the oil-fired
boiler for the cast iron radiator heating system in the home. So, I know
these exist, and I know they are code compliant.

I have one such line in the basement too. Professional installation is
probably required (local plumbers in my case) due to the fittings at either
end, I'm guessing. Made short work of extending the gas line 10 feet as it
easily goes over & under things that are always in the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So where would one buy that yellow "plastic" gas supply line or CSST?
I just visited two Home Depot's and they've never heard of either? At
the very least, I would need to know what that yellow plastic extender
is called, I think...

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 10:41�pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
So where would one buy that yellow "plastic" gas supply line or CSST?
I just visited two Home Depot's and they've never heard of either? At
the very least, I would need to know what that yellow plastic extender
is called, I think...

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

i think the flexible line is only sold to professional plumbers, sorry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 11:25*pm, " wrote:
On Sep 3, 10:41 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

So where would one buy that yellow "plastic" gas supply line or CSST?
I just visited two Home Depot's and they've never heard of either? At
the very least, I would need to know what that yellow plastic extender
is called, I think...

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

i think the flexible line is only sold to professional plumbers, sorry

Where do they get it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default -google_groups- Moving a gas dryer about 20 feet

Aaron Fude wrote:
On Sep 3, 11:25 pm, " wrote:
On Sep 3, 10:41 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

So where would one buy that yellow "plastic" gas supply line or CSST?
I just visited two Home Depot's and they've never heard of either? At
the very least, I would need to know what that yellow plastic extender
is called, I think...
Many thanks in advance!
Aaron

i think the flexible line is only sold to professional plumbers, sorry

Where do they get it?

At real supply houses. Big box just has a sample of common stuff and are
more trouble than they are worth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For 20 feet, you really oughta run black iron pipe. Have a HVAC tech do it,
if you're not familiar with black iron.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Bad post on my part! I meant the gas line. (The exhaust is getting cut
by two thirds.)

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen ads for the flex gas line. You need to be in a trade, and take the
certification course in order to purchase it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
So where would one buy that yellow "plastic" gas supply line or CSST?
I just visited two Home Depot's and they've never heard of either? At
the very least, I would need to know what that yellow plastic extender
is called, I think...

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

After taking the certification course and getting the card, they purchase at
plumbing wholesale houses. Which said wholesale houses sell only to plumbers
with certifcation cards.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
i think the flexible line is only sold to professional plumbers, sorry

Where do they get it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

BS, they have them at the big box stores.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've seen ads for the flex gas line. You need to be in a trade, and take
the
certification course in order to purchase it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Out of curiosity, I had looked in Home Depot and Lowe's later on to see if
they had them, and I didn't see any. That doesn't mean they do not have
them. I just didn't see them on the shelf.

I have no doubt that if I went to the plumbing supply place I use near me,
the guy at the counter would know what I was talking about when I explained
what I was looking for, and he would tell me how much it cost and he would
sell it to me. It's a flexible gas supply line. You don't need a license
to buy plumbing parts or electrical parts, etc. One issue will be, what are
the connections like on each end? You will probably need to tell the guy at
the counter what size gas supply pipe you will be connecting it to, and what
you have on the other end by the dryer. He'll probably tell you that you
need a shut-off valve in the line at the dryer end, and he'll tell you what,
if anything, you need in terms of sealing the fitting connections (tape for
gas lines or whatever).

Look in the Yellow Pages under plumbing supply and find a place near you.
You could even call them and ask if they sell what you are looking for, but
I would go in person.

Let us know how you make out.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
So where would one buy that yellow "plastic" gas supply line or CSST?
I just visited two Home Depot's and they've never heard of either? At
the very least, I would need to know what that yellow plastic extender
is called, I think...

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can call me BS, and I'll call you ignorant.

Home stores have flexible corrugated metal. I'm talking about flexible,
smooth, line that's designed for long runs. The guys who work with it cut to
length, and then crimp on ends, to interface with black iron.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
BS, they have them at the big box stores.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've seen ads for the flex gas line. You need to be in a trade, and take
the
certification course in order to purchase it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 10:32*am, "alta47" wrote:
"phil scott" wrote in message

[...]

calif code prohibits anything over 24 or 36" as I recall.. other
states are usually similar,
if its a manufactured item apparently some states allow it... it
amounts to unsported pipe as even when it is supported say every 12" a
person could step on a section and break it. Im surprised the hear
its available.

It could be a water rated flex line, those are more likely to be legal
in some states... check on that, if its gas
rated it will have an aluminum ring around one end saying so.

Phil scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 7:41*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
So where would one buy that yellow "plastic" gas supply line or CSST?
I just visited two Home Depot's and they've never heard of either? At
the very least, I would need to know what that yellow plastic extender
is called, I think...

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

they would be stainless steel or copper gas lines with a yellow
plastic coating on the outside if they
existed...and maybe they do.. my guess though is that is water rated
only.

a flex gas line built heavy enough might be legal..Ive not seen any
though.

Phil scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 8:25*pm, " wrote:
On Sep 3, 10:41 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

So where would one buy that yellow "plastic" gas supply line or CSST?
I just visited two Home Depot's and they've never heard of either? At
the very least, I would need to know what that yellow plastic extender
is called, I think...

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

i think the flexible line is only sold to professional plumbers, sorry

Ive got the appropriate lilcenses and have not seen any in the local
plumbing and piping wholesale houses,
nor have I ever seen one on a job site in California at least...and
thats in over 40 years experience.

Phil scott