DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Repair of "nicked" Romex sheathing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/259259-repair-nicked-romex-sheathing.html)

blueman September 2nd 08 08:46 AM

Repair of "nicked" Romex sheathing

I noticed that there is a small nick in the plastic sheathing of a run
of Romex cable in my basement (it was installed & reportedly inspected
by a licensed electrician about 4 years ago).

The bare copper ground is clearly visible through the nick but the
other conductors *appear* to be intact.

Does the NEC allow repair of such a nick or do I need to call the
electrician back in to replace the entire run?

If repair is allowed, what needs to be done to make a safe & legal
repair?

Thanks!

RBM[_2_] September 2nd 08 12:03 PM

"blueman" wrote in message
I noticed that there is a small nick in the plastic sheathing of a run
of Romex cable in my basement (it was installed & reportedly inspected
by a licensed electrician about 4 years ago).

The bare copper ground is clearly visible through the nick but the
other conductors *appear* to be intact.

Does the NEC allow repair of such a nick or do I need to call the
electrician back in to replace the entire run?

If repair is allowed, what needs to be done to make a safe & legal
repair?

Thanks!

A wrap of black tape will fix it just fine