DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing recessed light (new construction housing) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/259227-removing-recessed-light-new-construction-housing.html)

rms649 September 1st 08 09:33 PM

Removing recessed light (new construction housing)

I need to repair the wiring in an "eyeball" type 4" canister light in
a plaster lathe ceiling. It won't budge and I can't feel any clips
through the slits in the side so I assume it is in a "new
construction" rather than "remodel" type housing and is screwed into
the joists. It is in a first floor room ceiling so there is no access
from above (unless I tear up the hardwood floor overhead). Is there
any way to remove the can without digging one or two large holes in
the ceiling to gain access?

John Grabowski September 1st 08 11:30 PM

"rms649" wrote in message
I need to repair the wiring in an "eyeball" type 4" canister light in
a plaster lathe ceiling. It won't budge and I can't feel any clips
through the slits in the side so I assume it is in a "new
construction" rather than "remodel" type housing and is screwed into
the joists. It is in a first floor room ceiling so there is no access
from above (unless I tear up the hardwood floor overhead). Is there
any way to remove the can without digging one or two large holes in
the ceiling to gain access?

Remove the eyeball and look around inside the can. Some are held onto the
mounting ring with screws which can be removed. Others are just held in
place with some clips exerting pressure against the can in which case you
should be able to just pull the can down.