DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Insulation between windows (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/259224-insulation-between-windows.html)

---MIKE--- September 1st 08 06:13 PM

Insulation between windows

I have added storm windows to some of my windows. The original windows
are Andersen double pane glass. I have put 2 inch styrofoam between the
original windows and the storm windows. Would it be more effective to
remove the styrofoam and replace it with bubble wrap?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

[email protected] September 1st 08 06:54 PM

On Sep 1, 1:13*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I have added storm windows to some of my windows. *The original windows
are Andersen double pane glass. *I have put 2 inch styrofoam between the
original windows and the storm windows. *Would it be more effective to
remove the styrofoam and replace it with bubble wrap?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

Sealing or weather stripping the storm windows would probably help.
Neither bubble wrap or rigid insulation seal to the surrounding frame.

Edwin Pawlowski September 1st 08 07:05 PM

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I have added storm windows to some of my windows. The original windows
are Andersen double pane glass. I have put 2 inch styrofoam between the
original windows and the storm windows. Would it be more effective to
remove the styrofoam and replace it with bubble wrap?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Depends on your goal. The foam is better insulation, but the bubble wrap
will let some light in. If the insulation is not properly installed, it is
of little value anyway.

Mark[_8_] September 2nd 08 02:41 AM

Insulation between windows

If the intent is to eliminate the window (i.e. block out light and view) and
to increase the R value to the max, why not just remove the window and frame
it in, including fiberglass insulation.