Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone problems after thunderstorm

I am trying to help my grandmother with a phone problem. I'm not
entirely sure what's going on (she's very confusing) but some
(possibly all) of the Caller ID displays on her home telephones are
garbled to the point where they're unreadable. I think it happened
after a thunderstorm where the electric went out. The phones work fine
except for the displays. It's on both the cordless and corded phones.

Is it at all possible that the storm would damage only the displays on
the phones but yet the phones still work fine otherwise? I can't be
sure, but I think even the cordless extension sets that aren't even
connected to the phone line have the garbled display. That seems
really strange to me.

Michael S.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 1, 12:34*am, "Mike S." wrote:
I am trying to help my grandmother with a phone problem. I'm not
entirely sure what's going on (she's very confusing) but some
(possibly all) of the Caller ID displays on her home telephones are
garbled to the point where they're unreadable. I think it happened
after a thunderstorm where the electric went out. The phones work fine
except for the displays. It's on both the cordless and corded phones.

Is it at all possible that the storm would damage only the displays on
the phones but yet the phones still work fine otherwise? I can't be
sure, but I think even the cordless extension sets that aren't even
connected to the phone line have the garbled display. That seems
really strange to me.

Michael S.

You might want to post your question here sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
"Mike S." wrote:

the Caller ID displays on her home telephones are
garbled to the point where they're unreadable.

Are the CID displays garbled ALL of the time or only when a call is
received?

it happened after a thunderstorm where the electric went out.

If the CID data is garbled when transmitted, but the phone LEDs are
otherwise OK, it is probably a problem with the line. If the displays
are permanently garbled, the phones are damaged. Good luck.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
"Mike S." wrote:

I am trying to help my grandmother with a phone problem. I'm not
entirely sure what's going on (she's very confusing) but some
(possibly all) of the Caller ID displays on her home telephones are
garbled to the point where they're unreadable. I think it happened
after a thunderstorm where the electric went out. The phones work fine
except for the displays. It's on both the cordless and corded phones.

Is it at all possible that the storm would damage only the displays on
the phones but yet the phones still work fine otherwise? I can't be
sure, but I think even the cordless extension sets that aren't even
connected to the phone line have the garbled display. That seems
really strange to me.

More likely the damage came in the power line.

Phone Problems (Landline) Thomarse UK diy 11 August 15th 08 06:23 PM
Trying to troubleshoot phone problems [email protected] Home Repair 8 December 28th 07 03:58 AM
phone line problems lupine Home Repair 7 September 30th 06 06:45 AM
Weird phone problems Jethro_uk UK diy 14 May 10th 05 04:28 PM
Need Some Advice on phone line Problems [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 30th 03 10:33 PM