Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trying to find KWH of fans?

Model 3733 20" Box Fan made by company called LASKO

It has 3 settings, high, medium and low, I cannot determine the
Wattage it pulls on the Low setting.

I found a website which says 170 watts but it doesn't break it down
for low medium high settings.

Thanks if you can help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Blass wrote:
Model 3733 20" Box Fan made by company called LASKO

It has 3 settings, high, medium and low, I cannot determine the
Wattage it pulls on the Low setting.

I found a website which says 170 watts but it doesn't break it down
for low medium high settings.

Thanks if you can help.

General answer: Get yourself a "Kill-A-Watt" meter. It will answer this
question and surprise you with a lot of other answers. About $30.00.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 7:44*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robert Blass wrote:
Model 3733 20" Box Fan made by company called LASKO

It has 3 settings, high, medium and low, I cannot determine the
Wattage it pulls on the Low setting.

I found a website which says 170 watts but it doesn't break it down
for low medium high settings.

Thanks if you can help.

General answer: Get yourself a "Kill-A-Watt" meter. It will answer this
question and surprise you with a lot of other answers. About $30.00.

Yea, that is the answer. Not all 170W fans need have the same low
speed power requirement. You might try the manufacturer's web site if
they have one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 8:10*pm, wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:44*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Robert Blass wrote:
Model 3733 20" Box Fan made by company called LASKO

It has 3 settings, high, medium and low, I cannot determine the
Wattage it pulls on the Low setting.

I found a website which says 170 watts but it doesn't break it down
for low medium high settings.

Thanks if you can help.

General answer: Get yourself a "Kill-A-Watt" meter. It will answer this
question and surprise you with a lot of other answers. About $30.00.

* Yea, that is the answer. *Not all 170W fans need have the same low
speed power requirement. *You might try the manufacturer's web site if
they have one.

A KAW meter and logic helps

Posted to alt.home.repair

It has 3 settings, high, medium and low, I cannot determine the
Wattage it pulls on the Low setting.

General answer: Get yourself a "Kill-A-Watt" meter. It will answer this
question and surprise you with a lot of other answers. About $30.00.

If you happen to have a multi-meter with AC current function, you can
measure the current and get an estimated wattage.

There may be a power factor which means voltage and current are not in sync.
Power company may charge you more than the real energy used in this case,
though I don't know what formula is used.

A slow and cheap way is to monitor your electric meter with the fan off,
then with it on and try to measure the difference over a period of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 4:08*pm, Robert Blass wrote:
Model 3733 20" Box Fan made by company called LASKO

It has 3 settings, high, medium and low, I cannot determine the
Wattage it pulls on the Low setting.

I found a website which says 170 watts but it doesn't break it down
for low medium high settings.

Thanks if you can help.

email the company or fill out a information request....their customer
service dept is quick to reply

or give them a call

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 9:08*pm, Robert Blass wrote:
Model 3733 20" Box Fan made by company called LASKO

It has 3 settings, high, medium and low, I cannot determine the
Wattage it pulls on the Low setting.

I found a website which says 170 watts but it doesn't break it down
for low medium high settings.

Thanks if you can help.

If it uses 170 watts on high (that's a bit less than a quarter HP) and
your electrcity costs you cents per kWhr. then it will cost about 41
cents per 24 hrs?
If it uses only half the power on 'low' setting, although it may use
less that that, it'll be about 20 cents per continuous 24 hour day.
Not a very significant cost?
Hardly worth going out and spending money on a $20 gadget, that may
not be very accurate at that, to measure how much the fan uses.
Let's see $20/20 cents= operating that fan for 100 days for same cost
as the measuring gadget!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 12:38*pm, terry wrote:
[...]

Oops: Should read; "and your electricity costs you TEN cents ....... "
sorry about that!
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
[...]

"If it uses only half that power" is the question. For all we know, it may
use TEN TIMES that much power on LOW. The way to find out is with the proper
gizmo.

No, you've got to view this episode as a valid excuse for another tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:38:11 -0700 (PDT), terry
sayd the following:

[...]

Yeah I was needing the slow vs high wattage to see the kwh expense was
all, thanks for your answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:01:27 -0500, "HeyBub"
sayd the following:

The way to find out is with the proper
gizmo.

I have a brain, calculator and the fan itself. That is about a $15
investment and I thought that would be enough to get an 'idea' from
one of you guys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 8:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
terry wrote:
[...]

While having a "Kill-A-Watt" meter would be cool & wasting an excuse
to buy a new tool is bad........

I seriously doubt that the fan on LOW uses 5x the high speed setting
power....Terry's analysis is probably pretty close

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:08:24 -0700 (PDT), BobK207
sayd the following:

On Sep 1, 8:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
terry wrote:
[...]

The fan maker's own website says 170 watts but does not say what it is
at Low or Medium speeds. This was why I wanted to know. Also I wanted
to know because I am going manic crazy making charts on the energy use
in my home. I'm trying to shave off about $100 on my electric bill. At
7.608 cents per KwH you can see how things add up quick.

The damn AC unit is costing me about $117 per month and that's at 78F
setting which is terribly hot and just makes me angry to be all hot
inside my home knowing it could be cooler.

Sorry to rant, thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 18:07:00 -0400, Robert Blass
wrote Re Trying to find KWH of fans?:

The fan maker's own website says 170 watts but does not say what it is
at Low or Medium speeds. This was why I wanted to know. Also I wanted
to know because I am going manic crazy making charts on the energy use
in my home. I'm trying to shave off about $100 on my electric bill. At
7.608 cents per KwH you can see how things add up quick.

Have you tried one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nal-_-82715001

I used one to help me reduce my electric bill by about $60/month.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:08:24 -0700 (PDT), BobK207
sayd the following:

The fan maker's own website says 170 watts but does not say what it is
at Low or Medium speeds. This was why I wanted to know. Also I wanted
to know because I am going manic crazy making charts on the energy use
in my home. I'm trying to shave off about $100 on my electric bill. At
7.608 cents per KwH you can see how things add up quick.

Sorry to rant, thanks

7.608 per KWH is actually a pretty decent rate for most of the US.

A fan or two running are not your major users here. Your AC as you posted
is your largest.

A few tips to help you lower the bill in order of importance:

When was the last time you changed the AC filters?
Or cleaned the coils if you were lazy in the past?
Or had the system checked by an HVAC pro?
Elec hot water? wash the clothes in cold water!
Clean lint filter on the elec clothes dryer?
Air dry dishwasher loads?
When was the last you cleaned the coils and fan on your Fridge or freezer?

This is offered in the hopes it might help.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
The fan maker's own website says 170 watts but does not say what it is
at Low or Medium speeds. This was why I wanted to know. Also I wanted
to know because I am going manic crazy making charts on the energy use
in my home. I'm trying to shave off about $100 on my electric bill. At
7.608 cents per KwH you can see how things add up quick.

The damn AC unit is costing me about $117 per month and that's at 78F
setting which is terribly hot and just makes me angry to be all hot
inside my home knowing it could be cooler.

Sorry to rant, thanks

I commend you on trying to save but I'd swap rates with you any day. Here
is CT I'm paying 18¢.

Is that $117 for central AC? If so, not bad at all. I spent that much in
June and July to keep a couple of room units going. (total June bill was
$250) August is much cooler and had little AC use. It has been a couple of
years since I've had a bill under $100.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 8:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
terry wrote:
[...]

I suggested direct contact to the mfr's customer service; via phone or
email....not getting the info by searching their website

they're very responsive

But Terry's analysis is probably pretty close to right.

fans are cheap to run........dryers (electric) & AC's are MUCH more
expensive

I have a setup in my laundry area that allows me to use a fan to dry
clothes hung on hangers.....I can run the fan for 2 days for what a
single dryer load costs. I save the cost of a few dryer loads per
week. I don't use AC so the humidity does boost my

btw 8¢ per KWA is really pretty cheap electricity

does your ulitity offer time of day pricing or a yearly rebate based
on remote AC cycling? When I had a house with AC, I got a $200 check
if I let them shut of my AC unit (only a few hours at a time but as
many days as they wanted)

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Robert Blass wrote:

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:01:27 -0500, "HeyBub"
sayd the following:

The way to find out is with the proper
gizmo.

I have a brain, calculator and the fan itself. That is about a $15
investment and I thought that would be enough to get an 'idea' from
one of you guys.

You got a brain, a calculator, and a fan for $15? That's a pretty good
deal, I'd say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 8:01 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
terry wrote:
[...]

Kill-A-Watt showed 20 inch Lakewood at 121/84/65 watts

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:44:54 -0400, "Rick" wrote:

[snip]

Kill-A-Watt showed 20 inch Lakewood at 121/84/65 watts

I got 91/74/59 watts with a new fan from Wal-Mart (20 inch Galaxy).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 18:07:00 -0400, Robert Blass
wrote:

[snip]

The damn AC unit is costing me about $117 per month and that's at 78F
setting which is terribly hot and just makes me angry to be all hot
inside my home knowing it could be cooler.

My preferred setting for cooling is 76 degrees. The A/C kept that
except for a few days about a month ago (when in the middle of the big
south central hot spot).

It does have to be raised at night to keep things from getting too
cold.

Fans do help some, if the temperature isn't too high.

Sorry to rant, thanks

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:55:33 -0400, "Colbyt"
sayd the following:

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The HVAC man never cleans hardly anything saying it's 'pretty good'
right now...

Also never clean the that fridge coils deals either.

I got some work to do now...and an HVAC company to fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:27:40 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
sayd the following:

[...]

We used around 2200 KwHours last month when most for our size house in
this region uses about 1100 KwHours. I'm doing something wrong or the
power company is reading the meter wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:44:54 -0400, "Rick" sayd the
following:

Kill-A-Watt showed 20 inch Lakewood at 121/84/65 watts

Good numbers, Thanks You!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 8:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
terry wrote:
[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Hey Bob. What methodolgy is/was used for them to remotely control your
AC. Sounds interesting? Terry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 1:26*pm, Robert Blass wrote:
[...]

all, thanks for your answer.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:55:33 -0400, "Colbyt"
A few tips to help you lower the bill in order of importance:

When was the last time you changed the AC filters?
Or cleaned the coils if you were lazy in the past?
Or had the system checked by an HVAC pro?
Elec hot water? wash the clothes in cold water!
Clean lint filter on the elec clothes dryer?
Air dry dishwasher loads?
When was the last you cleaned the coils and fan on your Fridge or freezer?

The HVAC man never cleans hardly anything saying it's 'pretty good'
right now...

Also never clean the that fridge coils deals either.

I got some work to do now...and an HVAC company to fire.

I would not over react on the HVAC guy just yet. My statement was if you
have not been dedicated in the filter department you might need to clean the
AC coils.

I should make you aware of the fact that an AC system that is not properly
charge can cost up to 20% more to operate. There is also the SEER rating of
the equipment to consider. The older or lower rated unit can use up to 100%
more power to cool the same space. The same is true for older fridges.

I am using 2 10 Seer units to cool about 2600 square foot 2 story. Last
bill: 29 days, average temp 75 degrees I used 83.2 KWH. Based on
"non-cooling months" I paid about 120.00 or $3.00 per day to cool
(0.07354 per KWH with all the garbage fees included).

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

84/121 = 70% 65/121 = 54%

91/74/59 watts with a new fan from Wal-Mart (20 inch Galaxy).
74/91 = 81% 59/91 = 65%

Sorta what you'd expect. Huh?

Interesting too your power only 8 cents per kwh! And ours is mainly
clean hydro generated, especially summer time!
Our basic kilowatt hour charge is just over 9 cents per hour the rest
bringing it up to just over 10 cents is due to a monthly per account
fee and sales taxes.
Another reason may be that we are rather thin on the ground and that
means the cost of the basic infrastructures must be borne by a smaller
customer base.

Cheers

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 8:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
terry wrote:
[...]

To cycle my A/C they placed an electrical junction box on the outside
of the compressor, the power for the unit was routed through it.

I believe they could send a radio signal to it to turn the power on &
off.

How big a rebate depended on how many days I agreed to have the A/C
cycled and for how long per day.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 8:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
terry wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bob. The only thing similar had heard of was;
1) A means by which Ontario Hydro (I think it was) was able some 50+
years ago to remotely turn off some 'flat rate' electric water heaters
which were fed though a second main circuit breaker in the house main
panel. I had such a panel once and used that 'extra' main breaker to
wire our cooking stove. The regular main breaker fed all the other
individual circuit breakers.
2) there was a British system IIRC named "Rhythmatic" (sounds like an
exercise class doesn't it?) which sent pulses of a certain frequency
down the power lines which caused a mechanically tuned relay to swing
back and forth until it's contacts would switch things such as street
lights on or off, remotely.
This all before the days of digital signals over power lines which are
in some cases causing radio and TV interference.
Cheers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
2) there was a British system IIRC named "Rhythmatic" (sounds like an
exercise class doesn't it?) which sent pulses of a certain frequency
down the power lines which caused a mechanically tuned relay to swing
back and forth until it's contacts would switch things such as street
lights on or off, remotely.

Both the name, "Rhythmatic," and your description sound like a sex
technique.

Where can I get more information?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 5:15*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
terry wrote:
2) there was a British system IIRC named "Rhythmatic" (sounds like an
exercise class doesn't it?) which sent pulses of a certain frequency
down the power lines which caused a mechanically tuned relay to swing
back and forth until it's contacts would switch things such as street
lights on or off, remotely.

Both the name, "Rhythmatic," and your description sound like a sex
technique.

Where can I get more information?

...... "Rhythmatic," ..... not a technique but a "toy" sold door-to-
door in the 60's

another consumer spinoff of the space program

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:33:33 -0400, "Colbyt"
sayd the following:

Last
bill: 29 days, average temp 75 degrees I used 83.2 KWH. Based on
"non-cooling months" I paid about 120.00 or $3.00 per day to cool
(0.07354 per KWH with all the garbage fees included).

God Damn that is efficient!

Where to find: casement window fans, air pump Gary Fritz Home Ownership 7 July 7th 17 02:15 PM
You can find some nice lingerie at Victoria Secret or even atFrederick's of Hollywood for that special honeymoon night. You may even finethat Sears and Macys has some great lingerie for your bridal accessoriespackage. You will also find some great on [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 April 19th 08 11:08 AM
a/c and fans ken Home Repair 9 June 28th 07 04:28 AM
Big A-- fans RogerN Metalworking 1 September 1st 05 07:39 PM
fans Geoff Norfolk UK diy 2 March 7th 05 10:43 AM