Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Casement Window - Replace a Gear or Operator Mechanism - AnySolution?

We just bought a house and several windows have casement hardware
issues.

In the master bedroom, the small round 'gear' that the crank handle is
supposed to attach to is missing.
We have tried to remove the entire operator mechanism without success.
Part of the mechanism is rivited to the bottom of the window and one
screw seems to be located in a location with next to no clearance.

I have two questions:
1. I am willing to 'sacrifice' opening one of the two windows in the
kitchen if I can use its gear. Is it just a matter of unscrewing the
gear with visegrips? I do not want to break the gear in the kitchen
and be stuck with 2 sets of operators that I cannot replace.
2. What is the trick to detaching the rivited operator?

I must admit that I am not very handy and could be using the wrong
teminology.

Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"allanc" wrote in message
[...]

Check with your local hardware, building supply, and window companies for
new operators. It has been quite a few years but I bought quite a few of
them. It is generally not a good idea to try to remove old parts and replace
them in different operators. Swap the whole operator if desired. Of course
there are right hand and left hand operators which do not interchange. If
needed, rivets can be drilled out. Some of the actuator arms slide out the
end of the window track to detach them from the window but you may have to
scrape, clean and oil the track to do it.

Be careful not to break anything. Maybe you have a friend or neighbor who
has experience in this and could help and/or advise.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Replacement parts can be obtained if you know the manufacturer.

"allanc" wrote in message
We just bought a house and several windows have casement hardware
issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can not find a label on the window.

"allanc" wrote in message

We just bought a house and several windows have casement hardware
issues.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check the glass; some mfgrs. faintly etch their name in the glass.

BTW if they are Andersen just call the number on their web site and mail
order your parts; they are actually helpful and friendly and the parts
are not that expensive. My local Andersen dealer was a waste of my time.

nate

"allanc" wrote in message

We just bought a house and several windows have casement hardware
issues.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

The 'end' of the arm is where the screw with no clearance is as well
as the rivets.
There is no clearance for drilling or removing the screw.

Did you mean to drill a rivet out somewhere before the end so that the
mechanism splits into 2 parts?

On Aug 31, 10:18*pm, "Don Young" wrote:
"allanc" wrote in message

[...]

Don Young- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"allanc" wrote in message

We just bought a house and several windows have casement hardware
issues.- Hide quoted text -

Take one set off, and carry it into the local specialty window dealer.
(The one that is only open m-f 7-4, over on the cheap side of town.)
They will either recognize it, or have a book to look it up in. I had to
do the same thing on my grandmother's old house a few years back before
we sold it. They were Andersons, but of an obsolete style, so I couldn't
get an exact match. I had to move a few around to put all the new ones
in one room, so it wouldn't look funny.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"allanc" wrote in message

We just bought a house and several windows have casement hardware
issues.- Hide quoted text -

Take one set off, and carry it into the local specialty window dealer.
(The one that is only open m-f 7-4, over on the cheap side of town.)
They will either recognize it, or have a book to look it up in. I had to
do the same thing on my grandmother's old house a few years back before
we sold it. They were Andersons, but of an obsolete style, so I couldn't
get an exact match. I had to move a few around to put all the new ones
in one room, so it wouldn't look funny.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

there are companies like the window man who come to your home to fix
stuff like this, pricey but easy. try calling some local glass
companies, they know who fixes windows
Posted to alt.home.repair

"allanc" wrote in message

[...]

The ones I worked on had a roller attached to the end of the arm and the
roller slid in a track on the bottom of the window. The roller was rivited
to the arm and the track was welded to the bottom of the window. You could
slide the roller out of the end of the track by removing two screws which
held the operator to the frame. You had to open the window and then
maneuver the arm and the window a little and the arm would slide out of the
end of the track next to the hinges. Then you just pulled the arm and roller
thru the slot. If the operator is jammed in the closed position you may have
to break the housing to allow the window to open. Hope this helps.

Don Young